Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jan 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3014674)   #251
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogelmann4 View Post
Is anyone going to run the GTE car this year or is that dead?
It was planned that Ian Dawson would run Evoras in the ALMS, but that seems to have fizzled out. That may not be the case though. Who knows with Lotus. Supposedly they have been doing development work on the Evoras during the off-season, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
So now we have 2 manufacturers in P2 (Nissan and Lotus) coming in through the back door. If they did build their own chassis' and ran them that would be against the spirit of the regs IMO. As they are doing it currently I see no problem. Nissan needs to step up to LMP1 and perhaps this is a toe in the water for 2014. With Pug gone it sure would be good. One has to wonder if the Honda will go with a works effort as well in the future? A shot at Le Mans glory has a lot of marketing value. Sorry for wandering from the theme of the tread... Bottom line, more manufacturers are always good as long as you don't cater to them at the expense of privateers.
It's hard to say about the P2 situation. I suppose if Lotus did build a P2 coupe, it would be built to cost-capped specs presumably and they would probably sell it to other interested parties. Maybe not, but that would have to be my guess. Having said that, we know that cost-capped status is a joke. I think it was Greaves who said that the Norma is the only true cost-capped chassis in P2. Maybe the Bailey too, but that has not hit the track yet for a race. The new P2 just seems to be a free-for-all with all sorts of things being considered legal even if they aren't within the spirit of the rules. Added to that is a seemingly new BoP rule on paper for P2 in 2012. Yippee. P2 cars may end up with more waivers (albeit pseudo-waivers) than GTE cars.

As for Nissan, I think they only come in if they can compete on the cheap. Peugeot leaving makes things cheaper. To tie this into the Lotus topic, I guess Lotus might even become interested in P1 if the price to compete becomes cheap enough. They're in everything else, so why not? Honda, well, who knows. Even if the factory money never arrives, I wonder if there is enough privateer interest in the Wirth coupe. If there is, will HPD sell it? Can they create a good privateer hybrid option for 2014?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 19:40 (Ref:3014687)   #252
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How are Lotus going to afford all this now that are no longer owned by the
Malayian government?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3014707)   #253
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
So now we have 2 manufacturers in P2 (Nissan and Lotus) coming in through the back door. ... Bottom line, more manufacturers are always good as long as you don't cater to them at the expense of privateers.
Actually there are 3 manufacturers in P2, you forgot Morgan
Old 21 Jan 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3014849)   #254
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How are Lotus going to afford all this now that are no longer owned by the
Malayian government?
If the team have got adequately-funded paying drivers on board, Lotus might not be putting much money into this- I mean, how much does it cost to paint a Lola-Judd black and stick a Lotus badge on the nose....?
Colin Chapman must be turning in his grave...
Old 31 Jan 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3019391)   #255
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The Kolles Lotus LMP2 story is confirmed: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97239
Old 31 Jan 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3019398)   #256
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so if I understand this correctly, this is a Lola chassis with a BMW engine that was adapted for LMP2 racing by Judd / Engine Developments, and Lotus has nothing to do with it other than the sponsoring? I really hope they haven't scrapped the Evora GTE programme for this...
Old 31 Jan 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3019415)   #257
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They also quote their success at Le Mans with the Evora.

"More than anything else, we’re looking forward to our return to Le Mans in this capacity after our success with the Evora last year."

The car was way off pace, and although they did get one to finish it was behind the GTEAM leader.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3019419)   #258
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really hope they can still put at least one Evora into the ELMS to get some more development. It's a pretty car for sure.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3019422)   #259
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Really hope they can still put at least one Evora into the ELMS to get some more development. It's a pretty car for sure.
yes, its a beautiful car. So no lotus gte in wec?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3019707)   #260
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
so if I understand this correctly, this is a Lola chassis with a BMW engine that was adapted for LMP2 racing by Judd / Engine Developments, and Lotus has nothing to do with it other than the sponsoring? I really hope they haven't scrapped the Evora GTE programme for this...
Yes, it is about as much involvement as they got from slapping their badge on a combination of DAMS management and Enstone factory people in F1, or cramming their badging onto KV Indycars that were all independently funded anyway. Lotus as a brand is now merely an exercise in branding whatever one can as long as Bahar or his disciples in actuality or spirit are involved, and maybe long after they are gone. Wonder how Colin Chapman would feel about a Lola chassis being called a Lotus?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3019717)   #261
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
yes, its a beautiful car. So no lotus gte in wec?
My understanding is that there are prospects for a single Lotus is ELMS and another in ALMS (though the team owner linked with the latter told me very specifically recently that the deal is not done - I believe the Ian Dawson deal is not going to hapopoen - No plans that I'm aware of for WEC and the Evora
Old 1 Feb 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3019742)   #262
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche917K View Post
They also quote their success at Le Mans with the Evora.
Reading that was confusing to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I hope so to. Its more relevant to have one of their road cars racing in GT then it is to rebadge someone elses engines in someone elses chassis and race it in LMP2. That said the gold and black livery looks really nice on the Lola, I just hope that they'll hire some decent drivers and get a good result.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3019919)   #263
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Colin Chapman must be doing rapid rotations inhis grave watching all those racing cars that have been badge engineered by Lotus.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3019967)   #264
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Like they're the only car company to ever do this.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3020017)   #265
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Like they're the only car company to ever do this.
Perhaps not but, they're quickly becoming one of the most prolific offenders.

As an aside, at least they're placing a car (or two?) on the grid.
Regardless of however nefarious the means, they're supporting the championship.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 1 Feb 2012 at 22:29.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3020181)   #266
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Colin Chapman must be doing rapid rotations inhis grave watching all those racing cars that have been badge engineered by Lotus.
He's been well on the rev limiter for some time
Old 4 Feb 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3021520)   #267
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
I believe the Ian Dawson deal is not going to happen
Funny, I had a suspicion that would be the case.
Is this 3 or 4 failed projects in a row for Dawson?
The guy has now got less credibility than JLOC
Old 7 Feb 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3022515)   #268
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sauber's James Key headed for Le Mans with Lotus.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3022553)   #269
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Sauber's James Key headed for Le Mans with Lotus.
It makes you hope that they have got bigger things on their plate regarding LMPs. With the current situation it seems to be a waste of his talents. Maybe he can make the stick-on Lotus badge more aerodynamic.
Old 9 Feb 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3023660)   #270
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"There is also a possibility that Key could be involved in the LMP1 category. Lotus is exploring another badging deal similar to the arrangement it has with Kodewa. Rebellion Racing, which is running a pair of Toyota-engined Lola coupes in 2012, is favourite for the deal."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97429
Old 10 Feb 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3024098)   #271
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
"There is also a possibility that Key could be involved in the LMP1 category. Lotus is exploring another badging deal similar to the arrangement it has with Kodewa. Rebellion Racing, which is running a pair of Toyota-engined Lola coupes in 2012, is favourite for the deal."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97429
You would've thought they would've run out of Lotus badges by now...

However I think its great to hear about a GT3 programme. It was good to see the Exige in GT3 a while back and the Evora's done well in GT4 so upwards would be the logical progression.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3024168)   #272
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
You would've thought they would've run out of Lotus badges by now...

However I think its great to hear about a GT3 programme. It was good to see the Exige in GT3 a while back and the Evora's done well in GT4 so upwards would be the logical progression.
At least they won't be able to just slap a Lotus sticker on somebody else's car in GT3...

There's a single Evora GTE confirmed on the ELMS entry list, so sounds like they're persevering with that as well, which is good news
Old 1 Mar 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3033669)   #273
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.lemans.org/fr/courses/fia...otus_6352.html

First Test for the Lotus .
Old 1 Mar 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3033698)   #274
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
Is that a Lotus?

Looks like it was built in Huntington to me.
Old 1 Mar 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3033740)   #275
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Woooo .... that thing looks sinister . Hope it runs as well as it looks . Shame about the drivers though .