Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Mar 2007, 23:39 (Ref:1855021)   #251
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB
Don't know if this is news but Autosport claim Adrian Valles is close to a 'second' TME Audi seat. Guess that means Vanina Ickx is definately confirmed for the other one.
Motorsport Aktuell reported a seemed history days ago.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1858913)   #252
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi has finally confirmed their 2007 driver line-up.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1859079)   #253
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not to detract anyone from going to TCT to check - it's key for discussion...good move I feel moving Scheider into the elite to replace Frentzen.

Premat, Luhr and Rockenfeller join in with 2006 machinery alongside ol' Abt.

I thought Audi were also to announce their Le Mans / ALMS line-up?...that might show where Stippler and Kaffer are perhaps bound.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1859175)   #254
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see either Stippler or Kaffer being involved in Audis, 2 car, ALMS program this year. They already have: McNish, Kristensen, Capello, Biela, Pirro and Werner for their lead cars. Luhr and Rockenfeller are likely to take 2/3 of the seats in the 3rd car at Le Mans. Maybe one of either Kaffer and Stippler could take the 3rd car 3rd seat at Le Mans.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1859255)   #255
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aparently Stippler will race STCC
Old 6 Mar 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1859546)   #256
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, as META4 says, Stippler will most likely team up with Björk and Kristoffersson with Audi in STCC.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1868579)   #257
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a deal starting in '06 that the ex-Works cars were supposed to be made available for a very reasonable fee to privateers. But the field hasn't really expanded? Or I guess it's considered to have expanded already as MB/Audi have already made up for 4-6 cars that dropped out after Opel pulled out? It would be nice to see some '04 cars on the grid and run by some other first time teams?
Old 17 Mar 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1869156)   #258
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
Audi has finally confirmed their 2007 driver line-up.
If I can just back it up for second here, what about Mercedes? Are we full-up there now, or not? Sorry, but again I've lost track.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1872211)   #259
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam Carroll gets the 2nd TME Audi.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1872230)   #260
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
If I can just back it up for second here, what about Mercedes? Are we full-up there now, or not? Sorry, but again I've lost track.
Driver lineup for Mercedes isn't complete yet according to the DTM website, current MB drivers are:

Jamie Green
Mika Hakkinen
Bernd Schneider
Bruno Spengler

So plenty of seats still up for grabs!
Old 20 Mar 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1872241)   #261
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I saw that Bert, thanks very much. No shortage of drivers looking either, I suppose. I know there's still over a month to go yet but I'd have thought they'd be a little further along by now. I see Gary Paffett's not on that list. Is he still deciding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
Adam Carroll gets the 2nd TME Audi.
Flor, where'd you hear that, I can't find anything? That's good news for DTM. And just what's needed in the Champcar threads - something new to go on about.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1872795)   #262
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I saw that Bert, thanks very much. No shortage of drivers looking either, I suppose. I know there's still over a month to go yet but I'd have thought they'd be a little further along by now. I see Gary Paffett's not on that list. Is he still deciding?
Last I heard, he expressed an interest to come back and MB said they would welcome him. IIRC, all the '07 spec seats are taken so he would be in a '06? Could a '06 spec car realistically win the championship?
Old 21 Mar 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1873016)   #263
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Could a '06 spec car realistically win the championship?
Pretty long odds on that one KM. If a year old car can win a championship then it's the fans that are being shortchanged, I'd say. Some other more informed opinions though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert Haug
If you are a real superstar, you can win in a year-old car, Gary is a real star and he can do a good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Ekström
I won't be surprised if Gary is going to be around us at the front fighting for good finishes and race wins.
I just don't know if Gary's even running in DTM this year. It's been kinda quiet and, as far as I can tell, nothing's actually been confirmed. Not sure what other options he has out there - in the Mercedes ranks anyway.

A few seats still available then I take it with 4 Mercedes drivers (only) announced so far. Possibly 1 also at Audi although Flor suggests that's now going to Adam Carroll.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1873096)   #264
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Flor, where'd you hear that, I can't find anything?
It was in yesterdays issue of MSa (motorsport aktuell).
Old 22 Mar 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1873528)   #265
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just don't know if Gary's even running in DTM this year. It's been kinda quiet and, as far as I can tell, nothing's actually been confirmed. Not sure what other options he has out there - in the Mercedes ranks anyway.
Paffett and Margaritis will drive for the Persson team.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1874526)   #266
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.motorracetime.de/dtm/dtmstarter.shtml
Old 23 Mar 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1874715)   #267
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hope Paffett shows some people up in the year old car. It's very strange he's been relegated to the Alesi position - don't exactly know what he owes Mercedes for that treatment.

Green's been very lucky to hold on to that HWA drive in my opinion.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1874743)   #268
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Hope Paffett shows some people up in the year old car. It's very strange he's been relegated to the Alesi position - don't exactly know what he owes Mercedes for that treatment.

Green was already confirmed for a 2007 car so they couldn't move him to a 2006 car. I expect Paffet will switch with Green next season.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 21:25 (Ref:1874779)   #269
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, Paffet was a latecomer for a MB seat. Yeah, it would be really bad if MB or any manufacturer made a last minute switch of seats.

OTOH, F1 and BTCC Indie drivers have been dropped before due to a lack of results so would MB do the same in DTM? Didn't Audi (phoenix?) drop a driver part way during the season last year. At least in this case, it would be a car/status switch and not total unemployment!

Last edited by kmchow; 23 Mar 2007 at 21:29.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1874783)   #270
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Yeah, Paffet was a latecomer for a MB seat. Yeah, it would be really bad if MB or any manufacturer made a last minute switch of seats.

OTOH, F1 and BTCC Indie drivers have been dropped before due to a lack of results so would MB do the same in DTM? Didn't Audi (phoenix?) drop a driver part way during the season last year. At least in this case, it would be a car/status switch and not total unemployment!
TME dropped Tielemans. He's now gone to Alfa in the WTCC where he's making a splash! (then a crumple, then a thud).

Phoenix didn't change drivers if I recall...the '05 Audi drivers remained Kaffer, Abt, Stippler and Scheider for the whole season - I've forgotten which two are Phoenix or Rosberg.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1874804)   #271
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
TME dropped Tielemans. He's now gone to Alfa in the WTCC where he's making a splash! (then a crumple, then a thud).

Phoenix didn't change drivers if I recall...the '05 Audi drivers remained Kaffer, Abt, Stippler and Scheider for the whole season - I've forgotten which two are Phoenix or Rosberg.
Well, in Tielemans' and Bleekemolen's cases money talks; both of them lost their places because of sponsorship trouble. Björk only replaced Kiesa because of the latter's injury.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1874829)   #272
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how Gary does in the '06 car - with the current rules it shouldn't be as much of a handicap as development is much more restricted these days. It'll certainly prove or dispel the myths about older machinery in DTM to have arguably the best driver in the series in an '06 car. Alesi had some strong runs last year so anything is possible.

However, it's still surprising that even if the HWA squad is full that Merc haven't given Persson a 2007-spec car. After all in 2005 Persson ran Green in a current-spec car in addition to the 4 HWA cars. I guess that with the way the DTM's set up at the moment it would oblige Audi to field an extra 2007-spec car with Phoenix/Rosberg to maintain the balance.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 00:55 (Ref:1874859)   #273
flor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-C
It will be interesting to see how Gary does in the '06 car - with the current rules it shouldn't be as much of a handicap as development is much more restricted these days.
since mercedes introduces the new c class this season the limitations arent as strict as the last seasons. also the old c class is supposed to have a much better shape from an aerodynamic point of view.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1875049)   #274
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't think Mercedes will allow that old cars beat the new C-class.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 13:57 (Ref:1875053)   #275
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
I agree Fire. And not to take anything away from Paffett, he's very quick, but that's also a pretty strong line-up Mercedes have in the 07 cars. It'll be fun to watch either way.