Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3210536)   #126
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Headline over on DSC reads ..... Nissan to announce ..... means its , wait for it , its about Nissan .

Love to see a P1 project ..... care to start driver speculation
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3210535)   #127
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I still don't think this is exclusively a racing announcement.
It's not. No-one is saying it's motorsport only. It's one (likely eye-catching) part of a new brand re-positioning.

Here are the announcement notes as listed a couple of pages back. Look at what's top of the agenda:
  • Nissan's plans for NISMO motorsports and performance arm to be revealed
  • Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn to make announcement in Japan Feb. 26 (Feb. 25 in U.S.)
  • NISMO HQ is a former Nissan factory now redeveloped and expanded
  • Live press conference stream and materials available at 8 p.m. EST, Monday Feb.25 at www.nissan-live.com/nismoglobal
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3210537)   #128
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I just hope it does not turn out to be dissapointing fingers crossed for a full LMP1 programme
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3210538)   #129
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post

Love to see a P1 project ..... care to start driver speculation
I would love if they would give Michael Krumm another shot at Le Mans in a car capable of winning.

He has proven he still has what it takes winning the FIA GT title and he was quick in the DeltaWing as well
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3210539)   #130
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The DSC article speculates it may be an F1 announcement, who knows? Glad we don't have to wait much longer to find out!
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3210542)   #131
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
The DSC article speculates it may be an F1 announcement, who knows? Glad we don't have to wait much longer to find out!
That would be a mayor disappointment for me. Nissan have shown so much interest in le mans and that type of racing with the deltawing and the backing of the playstation drivers program.
If it's anything other then a LMP2 or LMP1 factory effort i'm disappointed...
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3210544)   #132
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nissan Motorsport twitted two days ago: "Thanks for all the comments about Tuesday's announcement. Here's a thought. Do we ever do what everyone expects us to do?"

That's not a speculation, not a rumor. It is direct statement that tells a lot. They absolutely did not have to say that, but they did. Think about it, if this is them making an LPM1 car (for example), it would not fit in the above statement.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3210545)   #133
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
It doesn't say that at all. It says some people have come to that conclusion but then confirms DSC believe it will be sportscar related.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...1D687F68377DB2

What do Graham and the RLM crew have? Excellent links with Darren Cox, who has surely tipped them off about something here.

It's all adding up to a P1 announcement and if it doesn't I'll be absolutely gutted.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3210546)   #134
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
edit: Simmi is faster than me (pitlane radio voice)
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3210548)   #135
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Nissan Motorsport twitted two days ago: "Thanks for all the comments about Tuesday's announcement. Here's a thought. Do we ever do what everyone expects us to do?"
Oh dear, that does sound more like some one-make series silliness or something.

But why would RLM hype this up this much? This would probably leave a lot of people rather ****ed.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3210550)   #136
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

That's not a speculation, not a rumor. It is direct statement that tells a lot. They absolutely did not have to say that, but they did. Think about it, if this is them making an LPM1 car (for example), it would not fit in the above statement.
The statement says everything, and at the same time absolutely nothing.

They are taking joy that fans are guessing. Darren Cox said that himself in reply to me and JAG on Twitter. A bit of mis-direction and smoke and mirrors just adds to the anticipation.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3210551)   #137
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
For what it's worth,and while I haven't confirmed this, it's my understanding that Ben Bowlby is an employee of Nissan.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3210552)   #138
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
How about a full on factory assault on the 24 hours at the 'Ring?

Nissan make a big deal out of the GT-R's 'Ring performance, RLM hold that race in very high regard and IIRC both RLM and DSC as well as the 24 hour race are sponsored by them.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3210553)   #139
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
How about a full on factory assault on the 24 hours at the 'Ring?

Nissan make a big deal out of the GT-R's 'Ring performance, RLM hold that race in very high regard and IIRC both RLM and DSC as well as the 24 hour race are sponsored by them.
It's an option. But it's not a 'dream' announcement as Graham sort of put it.

Plus if it was that I don't see why the WEC would be plugging it on their Twitter feeds?
Old 25 Feb 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3210557)   #140
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Plus if it was that I don't see why the WEC would be plugging it on their Twitter feeds?
If this is about P1, for sure some people at FIA/ACO has to be aware of it, but the PR people behind the tweeting might not be. Also, retweeting doesn't necessarily mean anything...
Old 25 Feb 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3210559)   #141
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Oh dear, that does sound more like some one-make series silliness or something.

But why would RLM hype this up this much? .....
Maybe because it is something totally new and different, so everyone jumps on the hype wagon out of sheer excitement.... I guess we are struggling with the guess because we are moving all the pieces within the existing matrix. But perhaps what they are going to do is a combination of very new and unusual, unexpected moves and of course none of us could know about it because we just don't have the information. To connect the dots we need the dots first...

I bet once they paint the full picture in a few hours, it will be like "Ah well, if I knew X and then Y, I would have figured out right away they are going to do Z". But this is great so far - a large company is going to make big announcement and everyone is excited and is waiting for the moment, like it should be. I am glad no one spilled the beans upfront, even if I suspect when it gets real close, say couple of hours before the announcement, someone somewhere is going to "leak" it just because they can

Old 25 Feb 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3210561)   #142
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It all adds to the sense of anticipation, which is surely what Nissan PR guys are paid to provide
Old 25 Feb 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3210562)   #143
deltawing
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
For what it's worth,and while I haven't confirmed this, it's my understanding that Ben Bowlby is an employee of Nissan.
If true, that wold be big piece of the puzzle!
Old 25 Feb 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3210567)   #144
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Now I am wondering if one could get the DeltaWing into Nürburgring EX-P1? Probably would need a limited run of road cars, but I think that could actually work.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3210572)   #145
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
This bodes well... I agree with the others, anything other than an LMP announcement would be a let down at this point.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3210577)   #146
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it can only be LMP1 or GTE. As mentioned in the DTM thread, I doubt that they'll (just?) announce competition in a German touring car series in a Japanese press conference. It would be funny too see the RLM-crowd freaking out, if Nissan was just announcing a DTM programme, though.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3210589)   #147
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Nissan live stream:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NISS...torsports.html

Link was here: http://www.nissan-live.com/nismoglobal/

Last edited by deggis; 25 Feb 2013 at 18:30.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3210594)   #148
deltawing
Racer

They keep using "The Next Generation Of Performance" and that could be another hint. IF we assume the words are used correctly, "Next Generation" is a strong statement that should mean something really new and different, not just another house making an LMP1 car and competing with the rest following existing rules...
Old 25 Feb 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3210596)   #149
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
They keep using "The Next Generation Of Performance" and that could be another hint. IF we assume the words are used correctly, "Next Generation" is a strong statement that should mean something really new and different, not just another house making an LMP1 car and competing with the rest following existing rules...
It may be a hint towards road cars, I think this is meaningless. Every manufacturer wants to give the image that their tech is more next-gen than the their competitors'.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3210599)   #150
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Well a 2014-spec LMP1 is per definition "next generation".