Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Jun 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3427861)   #201
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
Petrov 2 positions lower than his best at Norisring.
Pity that Petrov and Di Resta haven't really made themselves comfortable in the cars yet. On the other hand, single-seater young guns like Pascal, Vietoris, Robert Wickens is doing great now.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3427891)   #202
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A wet dry race at the DTM's best track and STILL they put on a boring event.

There's really no hope for this series is there zzzzzz
Old 30 Jun 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3428350)   #203
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
A wet dry race at the DTM's best track and STILL they put on a boring event.

There's really no hope for this series is there zzzzzz
I strongly recommend you to watch Budapest and Hockenheim on youtube, which are all fantastic. With mandated pitstops down to one, racing based on tires is better than ever. Surely soft tyres have 2s a lap advantage but it all comes down to driving talent to either make the pass or hold the lead.

On the contrary, I agree with you that when tyres no longer matter and DRS is disabled in a wet race, DTM is still boring as usual, but it's still not bad.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3428697)   #204
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
I strongly recommend you to watch Budapest and Hockenheim on youtube, which are all fantastic. With mandated pitstops down to one, racing based on tires is better than ever. Surely soft tyres have 2s a lap advantage but it all comes down to driving talent to either make the pass or hold the lead.
not really, in budapest the softtires were upto 3 seconds faster per lap, there was no racing at all, it was just cars with softtires passing cars with hardtires on the frontstraight like they were being lapped. a lot worse than in f1 last year.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3428893)   #205
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
not really, in budapest the softtires were upto 3 seconds faster per lap, there was no racing at all, it was just cars with softtires passing cars with hardtires on the frontstraight like they were being lapped. a lot worse than in f1 last year.
Yet it's Budapest, the hard to overtake one, yet you get more racing maneuvers than WTCC and possibly F1. Tyre strategy is an important catalyst for the new DTM and you can see how different plan plays out as race evolves.
Speaking of overtaking, few moves in Budapest was effectively carried out with DRS in the straight or while entering Turn 1. The majority of them happens at Turn 2 and last few corners.
Old 3 Jul 2014, 14:10 (Ref:3429923)   #206
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heikki Kovalainen could move DTM according to news Seiska magazine, if F1 can not find a seat and possibly a good car.
Old 4 Jul 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3430216)   #207
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Introduction of 2 litre turbo engines is delayed until 2017: http://motorsport-total.com/dtm/news...-14070401.html

Yeah, we're really turning more and more into a cheap copy of NASCAR, with all the single-spec parts, the questionable race control and now those stone age engines. You know, all the positive buzz from 2012 has gone up in smoke. THE. DTM. IS. IN. A. DOWNWARD. SPIRAL. PERIOD! So much, that the drivers actually consider to create a drivers union...which needs approval by the series and the manufacturers I mean, the point of an union is to make its member more independent from the employers. But with the way this "DTM union" is planned, it sounds more like the FDGB from the old GDR.

Source: http://www.speedweek.com/dtm/news/59...erkschaft.html
Old 5 Jul 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3430593)   #208
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Even F1 drivers' union is some kind of joke now. No way to see DTM performing better.
As for the engine, I'm with you DS. I just don't want to see the old formula again. Yes they are fantastic engines, but they are too old.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3431381)   #209
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
For me the current engines are a big positive for DTM - the sound (and feel) of those engines as the cars go past is incredible. Without that the series loses a lot of the spectacle - and DTM needs the cars to have the 'wow' factor as the racing often isn't so great.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3431844)   #210
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delayed, huh? You know, who's the one proposed the 2.0 liter turbocharged I4 engine in the first place? Is it the ITR, or the GTA?

While Super GT produced better racing thanks to DTM rules, you're right about DTM becoming boring as ever. But you know what, why the ITR will have to delay the new engine regs if they could just pit their cars and battle against their Japanese counterparts already?

Just balance them out and you got yourself a good race. I'm itching for both series to race each other!
Old 8 Jul 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3431845)   #211
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Future of DTM summarized in one word: "delay"

For me the engines of current DTM are not a problem.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3432200)   #212
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they're the ones who proposed a rule unification (read: shove their rules) with Super GT. But you know, it would be better for both series to not have engine restrictions.

Besides, some Americans want the roar of a V8 engine over a screaming turbo I4 engine.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3432204)   #213
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Besides, some Americans want the roar of a V8 engine over a screaming turbo I4 engine.
But the DTM V8's don't roar - they scream. And that's what's best about them.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3432210)   #214
MagVanisher
Veteran

Whatever the engine would sound like, I think the best way for both series to race each other is allowing for more engine variety instead of having I4 engines for both DTM and Super GT.
Old 12 Jul 2014, 15:14 (Ref:3433175)   #215
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Yep. They use flat crank anyway, so the sound is more like a "double-four".
Old 13 Jul 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3433352)   #216
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Nah, they just scream but add nothing else to the sound. If you want a perfect sound of a racing V8, take a Ford Cosworth 3.5l V8 from F1. Now that was a V8!
Old 13 Jul 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3433428)   #217
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
take a Ford Cosworth 3.5l V8 from F1. Now that was a V8!
I saw the 7Up Jordan couple of years ago and that was loud. And not just loud but the frequency of the sound and the vibration it developed was something that 2,4L F1 engines couldn't make. It's bit funny now when people claim to miss 2,4 litre engine sound. For my ears those were just pure decibel in very narrow frequency scale.

But I've never heard a modern DTM car live. Once I heard Alfa 155 V6, but I can't remember was it good or not. The sound wasn't very audible because an aircraft was taking off in the background.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3437343)   #218
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
So China is off and is replaced by Zaandvoort - it was rumoured a while back but apparently it's now confirmed.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3437348)   #219
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The good thing in my opinion is that Petrov didn't retired since his debut and in his home race
Old 24 Jul 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3437369)   #220
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
So China is off and is replaced by Zaandvoort - it was rumoured a while back but apparently it's now confirmed.
A total embarrassement for DTM. Of course, Zandvoort won't draw too many people, as it was put into the schedule at such a short notice. But that's the catch-22: DTM went away from Zandvoort, because it hasn't drawn well. But since this year's race also won't draw too many people on the track, DTM has a good reason to pull out of the Netherlands again...a market they destroyed themselves.

But yeah, this whole disaster just shows in my opinion, what a bush league the DTM really is. Europe's best touring car series my ass.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3437370)   #221
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
They should've sorted out the race at Zhuhai instead of some metropolitan track, but surely all three manufacturers will be pushing for a China round next year.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3437439)   #222
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
They should've sorted out the race at Zhuhai instead of some metropolitan track, but surely all three manufacturers will be pushing for a China round next year.
From the announcement they are keen to have a round in China - why they don't just use the GP track I don't know. Zandvoort is a good replacement - I thought the DTM had done ok there for spectators? Or was that only when Albers was competing?
Old 29 Jul 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3439507)   #223
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From the announcement they are keen to have a round in China - why they don't just use the GP track I don't know.
Apparently someone did not pay their bills to the Shanghai authorities the last time they went there and are therefore not able to set foot in Shanghai again.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3439747)   #224
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
DTM reminds me ACO. Another top organizer that can't find the right partner in Asia. To link yourself with crooks, do not take anywhere. Sometimes it's after the curtains close that the real reckonings come.
Old 2 Aug 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3440954)   #225
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The DTM drivers have announced the birth of the new Driver Association (DTMDA). Manuel Reuter will be the overall spokesperson.