Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Nov 2003, 16:03 (Ref:772834)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingleston

Quick question - when did racing cease at Ingleston?
Old 4 Nov 2003, 17:21 (Ref:772900)   #2
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i take it you mean Ingliston? I raced there in 90 but i think it was finaly closed for racing in 95. First race meeting was in 1965.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 17:40 (Ref:772911)   #3
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
That's the place! What was it like? I saw a video a while ago and it looked rather scary - lots of buildings next to the track. Is it completely gone? I thought a race school stayed on for a while after it shut. Is it too recent for a Motorsport-type track test...?
Old 5 Nov 2003, 09:50 (Ref:773581)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the site of the Royal Highland showground,next to Edinburgh airport.I went twice in 84 & 94.Best spectator venue in UK since demise of Crystal Palace.Unfortunately the SMRC fell out with the showground authorities about '95,so the poor Scots are left with the windswept hillside of Knockhill.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 11:21 (Ref:773686)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
whats left of it?
Old 5 Nov 2003, 12:05 (Ref:773719)   #6
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My old man raced there in the 70's in an Opel Commodore he said it was quite a tricky track made trickier by the sheep s**t on certain corners.
As i was only about 8 i have vague memories of the place being like an empty village with banks and the like (weird)
It was good to watch though With the likes of Tony Lanfranchi
,Jock Robertson, Hamish Irvine and a young John Cleland.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 12:50 (Ref:773749)   #7
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic track - half like a street track and half like a road track. Not the place you want to have an accident, difficult to pass (except at the hairpin) and the section past the pits - through the chicane up to the 90 right was fantastic. Seems odd that the FVJ/FVL had a national round up there in 91...Great place..
Old 5 Nov 2003, 13:41 (Ref:773809)   #8
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
The video I saw was Warren Hughes in a Formula car. He's about the same age as me so it can't have been that long ago (or I'm older than I thought...)
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:14 (Ref:774025)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
The video I saw was Warren Hughes in a Formula car. He's about the same age as me so it can't have been that long ago (or I'm older than I thought...)
Sounds like the same tape I have graeme.Recorded in Aug 91,FVJ race featuring Sacha Pearl-whatever happened to her?
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:35 (Ref:774039)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From our archives - Ingliston, photos etc.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ight=ingliston
Old 5 Nov 2003, 18:21 (Ref:774073)   #11
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to confirm, Ingliston closed at the end of 1994. Most years there were six or seven meetings but in the last few it was down to four or five. Anyone know what they fell out about??
Old 5 Nov 2003, 22:41 (Ref:774296)   #12
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a sprint held on part of the original track back in 1996 that I competed in. I can confirm jminsh's comment on the sheep s**t. When I asked dhart what I was to expect he told me it was " a bit like Monaco but without the glamour"!!!!!!!!!
Old 6 Nov 2003, 09:29 (Ref:774588)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there anything left of the circuit
Old 6 Nov 2003, 10:01 (Ref:774620)   #14
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute, but as it was a tempory circuit on a showground, I'd guess its still all there? But there'd be little hope of reviving it as it wouldn't meet 2003 MSA standards for a "new" circuit. Aintree will never come back (?) 'cos it needs a proper pitlane, tarmac runoff, etc, etc. Likewise if Lydden ever shut, it would be impossible to re-open it without HUGE investment. Which is a shame as it would be good if Scotland had more than one circuit - and a temporary "street" venue" would be a contrast to (the excellent, if exposed) Knockhill.

I always thought Inliston shut down for safety reason - sounds like that's a cover story for the falling out.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 10:33 (Ref:774647)   #15
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warren raced there in 91 (driving for Jon Lewis) - Kelvin Burt won the race.

Sacha Perl went Golf racing - then who knows!!
Old 6 Nov 2003, 23:15 (Ref:775316)   #16
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be wrong but I stayed in the hotel adjacent to the showground about 18 mths ago and there was a massive exhibition of some sort going on . I hardly recognised the place couldn't see any sign of the track at all.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 19:05 (Ref:780169)   #17
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sacha i think still works at the knockhill race school, last i heard she was shacked up with ex FF1600 star of mallory champion alan brunton who also works at the school.I was at the FVL race that Kelvin Burt won F/L was 47.09 as a comparison the lap rec was held by a ralt 04(David Duffield) 43.5. The FF1600 record was Cameron Binnie on a 50.76.
The startline was actually on a long bend/corner! I did a FF Formula E race there are got fastest lap - with the demise of the circuit that means i still hold the Form E lap record!
Old 11 Nov 2003, 23:40 (Ref:780417)   #18
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at a (road) car launch there last year - the track bit was at Knockhill but we started from Ingliston - and as far as I could tell there was a stonking great building right in the middle of the track just after the esses. I fear it's gone for good !
Memories include Brian Nelson getting a case of Scotch for a new lap record and those of us who had to sit in the back of the van on the way home drinking most of it before we reached the boat !
Another, earlier visit with a Team Ireland collection comprising Ken Fildes (Lotus 32), Damien Magee (Cooper T60?) and John Watson (Lola T100) all using the ex-Team Lotus transporter.
There was a lot of beer taken afterwards (must have been around '68/'69) and on the way home the driver - Fred Smith - refused all pleas for comfort breaks. The first set of (red) traffic lights on the way into Glasgow were very moist........Can anybody suggest when this might have been ? Memories were vague then, but now.....!