Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Jun 2003, 11:35 (Ref:631886)   #1
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mini's in rallycross

Weve had Porsches's now we'll go with Mini's. Your favourite Mini's please. Mainly used in UK, they were a great rallycross weapon in the early days with Mike Hill, Hugh Wheldon, "Jumping" Jeff Williamson and Brian Chatfield being some of the most succesful Mini pilot's. The Mini useally was the Mini Copper S, 1300twin cam, this gradually developed into a 1400 then into 1500 with the twin 40's, which was alot of power for such a light car. after the early Mini's the modifieds were the frontrunners in the British championship. Keith Ripp of course is rememebered for that famous televised roll, Trevor Reeves "16v version" had a very competitive Mini, Trevor Smith, Lawrence Gibson, Tony Bardy, Colin Strugnell was a regular in Europe, Ronnie White Northern Irish champion. More recent times i suppose the Ian Sandwich Mini was the quickest and most sorted seen. The Wakelings have a good Modified Mini, and also looking forward to the BMW Mini of Binks that will hopefully keep the Mini's in rallycross tradition going for years to come.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 16:06 (Ref:633121)   #2
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be Ian Sandwiths Green and White mini spares machine! He was the fastest mini driver in the world. His buisness is just around the corner from my house, so i get to see the lean green (and white) flying machine every day on the way to uni!! Great stuff. It was unfourtunate he had the bad accident in nutts corner.

Tony Bardy was number 2.......another northerner.........may be the secret to being a good mini driver.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:54 (Ref:633566)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You gotta give it to Bardy and Sandwith, especially going up against Milner in the works 205 as he did.
Some of the Irish guys were stupidly quick in Mini;s aswell.And I can remember John Milner in a Mini. And Russ Reader in the eight port Swiftune screamer. Also Bill Skermer in the yellow Jonspeed 1000cc car in the old Formula D days.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:23 (Ref:634422)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter S
Has to be Ian Sandwiths Green and White mini spares machine! He was the fastest mini driver in the world.
Definitely with you on that one- always one of my favourites as well
Old 17 Jun 2003, 16:10 (Ref:634472)   #5
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian Sandwith had best Mini I'd agree. Best driver of a Mini for those who can rememember Trevor Smith.
Old 29 May 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2887794)   #6
struggie
Rookie

struggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Weve had Porsches's now we'll go with Mini's. Your favourite Mini's please. Mainly used in UK, they were a great rallycross weapon in the early days with Mike Hill, Hugh Wheldon, "Jumping" Jeff Williamson and Brian Chatfield being some of the most succesful Mini pilot's. The Mini useally was the Mini Copper S, 1300twin cam, this gradually developed into a 1400 then into 1500 with the twin 40's, which was alot of power for such a light car. after the early Mini's the modifieds were the frontrunners in the British championship. Keith Ripp of course is rememebered for that famous televised roll, Trevor Reeves "16v version" had a very competitive Mini, Trevor Smith, Lawrence Gibson, Tony Bardy, Colin Strugnell was a regular in Europe, Ronnie White Northern Irish champion. More recent times i suppose the Ian Sandwich Mini was the quickest and most sorted seen. The Wakelings have a good Modified Mini, and also looking forward to the BMW Mini of Binks that will hopefully keep the Mini's in rallycross tradition going for years to come.
Graham Strugnell. 1550 cc. twin 48 webers rebadged and modded to appear to be 45s

Last edited by struggie; 29 May 2011 at 21:32. Reason: spelling
Old 30 May 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2888222)   #7
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going with a Southerner but then I would I'm from the South. I remember lots of names but my favourite is Trevor Reeves a multi champion down South.

One of Trevor's Minis went to Tony Bardy, was this the famous little yellow screamer ?

The ex Barry Rogers (brother to Gordon) Mini the blue one with a lightning strike down the side went to the Wakelings. First Richard and then his son Paul. I remember Richard making the Superfinal in the Mini.

He raced against Mark Kaye (Green & White mini spares) the car Ian Sandwith later drove and then Lance Foster. I raced against Lance and that car was amazing. Great bunch of lads them Northerners.