Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:02 (Ref:3332687)   #1726
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
It's ok to be wrong.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3332688)   #1727
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
That concept has gone right out of the window the moment they made the M3 (let alone the Z4) competitive against the 458... The Subaru, Hyundai, Camaro and Mustang are exactly the cars BMW should race against with the Z4. By not having a class for this kind of cars, you force them into exactly the kind of catch all classes that have supercars running against sedans and entry level roadsters.
Nobody is going to cross-shop a Mustang or Camaro with a Z4. Mustangs and Camaros are not GT cars or even sports cars and don't belong in a top-flight GT class.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3332689)   #1728
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
It's ok to be wrong.
That's big to admit it!

L.P.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3332690)   #1729
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
That's big to admit it!

L.P.
lol

Keep on digging that hole.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3332691)   #1730
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
No, it was just branded a BMW because of the block Dinan chose. After the fact BMW has gotten in on the advertising side of things.
It was branded BMW because 1) it was a BMW-engine and 2) because GA only ever allowed OEM branding on their engines.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3332693)   #1731
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
It was branded BMW because 1) it was a BMW-engine and 2) because GA only ever allowed OEM branding on their engines.
It was a BMW block. That's it. Like a Judd engine.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3332698)   #1732
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
It was a BMW block. That's it. Like a Judd engine.
Those BMW engineers were wasting their time at the track all this time then. Someone should have told them.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3332699)   #1733
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballin View Post
Those BMW engineers were wasting their time at the track all this time then. Someone should have told them.
They aren't there anymore. Nobody is running a Dinan engine now.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3332700)   #1734
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Mustangs and Camaros are not GT cars or even sports cars
Neither is the Z4.

Quote:
and don't belong in a top-flight GT class.
And neither does the Z4. That's why I am calling for a class for entry level performance cars. Having two classes for pretty much the same models of cars is a wasted opportunity at having a more diverse field and more manufacturer involvement.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3332711)   #1735
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/spanish-gt-cham...rticle/321357/
Isaac Tumumlu in the Starworks PC car
Old 17 Nov 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3332731)   #1736
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Neither is the Z4.

And neither does the Z4. That's why I am calling for a class for entry level performance cars. Having two classes for pretty much the same models of cars is a wasted opportunity at having a more diverse field and more manufacturer involvement.
That class is called the GS class in Continental Challenge or Pirelli World Challenge.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3332739)   #1737
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Battery Tender now sponsoring the BMWs. (Beneath the door.)

Image from RACER

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 17 Nov 2013 at 21:47.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3332762)   #1738
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Japanese programs have no impact whatsoever on potential US-programs, I am not sure why you'd bring that up here.
Used it as an example that there are racing versions of these cars made by the manufacturer.

Quote:
Huh? I am pretty sure the US are the biggest market for each of those models. Unless you refer to the racing market, but the lack of that market is exactly the point I am trying to make here...
Yeah sorry, I meant racing market. There is indeed a lack of that market in US. But if that market will ever be created, it probably won't be very popular. 1: There already are 2 big GT markets in US, GTLM and GTD. 2: That market does exist in Europe, which is GT4. GT4 is not popular in Europe.

Talking about GT4. Camaro, Mustang, GT86, MX5, V8 Vantage, Porsche 911, 370Z, Corvette and M3 are already in GT4. Audi planned to build a GT4 version of the TT, it never happened. The Z4 M Coupe used to race in GT4. Although there is potential for a huge variety, it isn't popular.

Quote:
I am pretty sure, I said "for example"... there are plenty of other small sportscar manufacturers that right now don't really have a place to play in either GTE ( due to the big factories' development budgets) or GTD (big manufacturers vetoing anything that might threaten their customer car sales). Which really is quite shame, as the little cars that could have always been the favorites of many fans.
I'm also using them as an example. Small sportscar manufacturers are either bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy nowadays. The smallest manufacturers that I can think of at the moment which have a GT3 car are McLaren and Lamborghini (by Reiter). Small manufacturer need to have at least some budget to develop a GTE/GT3 car, and at the moment they don't have a budget. This is my assumption of course, I could be wrong.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3332765)   #1739
polishboy808
Rookie

polishboy808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Marsh run today? On Saturday I saw them setting up, but they started by removing the Corvette branding off that car, not really sure why.

The new Corvette DPs look and sound amazing. The new diffusers are insane, and you can tell they really needed to speed them up because of all the new little aero bits on them. The DPs finally look like proper race cars
Old 17 Nov 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3332769)   #1740
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isaac Tutumlu

" His success in car racing includes winning a number of championships such as the Nissan 350Z Challenge, Open Prototype in Spain, Winter European Radical Series, International GT Open, IberGT, Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup, and many more."

?? Supercup?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3332781)   #1741
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishboy808 View Post
Did Marsh run today? On Saturday I saw them setting up, but they started by removing the Corvette branding off that car, not really sure why.

The new Corvette DPs look and sound amazing. The new diffusers are insane, and you can tell they really needed to speed them up because of all the new little aero bits on them. The DPs finally look like proper race cars
Yes, they got down to 1:55.6xx as their fastest lap time.

I can dig the Corvette DPs. Sort of reminds me of the old GT1 days.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3332784)   #1742
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFC-911 View Post

I can dig the Corvette DPs. Sort of reminds me of the old GT1 days.
For all intensive purposes, that's what they are.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 00:08 (Ref:3332794)   #1743
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingers View Post
Isaac Tutumlu

" His success in car racing includes winning a number of championships such as the Nissan 350Z Challenge, Open Prototype in Spain, Winter European Radical Series, International GT Open, IberGT, Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup, and many more."

?? Supercup?
Haha! Obviously entering Supercup is the same as winning Supercup.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 00:12 (Ref:3332796)   #1744
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
That's big to admit it!

L.P.

Andy Flinn
Old 18 Nov 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3332816)   #1745
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Nobody is going to cross-shop a Mustang or Camaro with a Z4. Mustangs and Camaros are not GT cars or even sports cars and don't belong in a top-flight GT class.
I never thought I'd see the day when someone would try to argue that Chevy Camaros and Ford Mustangs are not GT cars and do not belong in a NORTH AMERICAN GT/sports car endurance racing championship.

How sad and historically inaccurate.

Andy Flinn
Old 18 Nov 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3332833)   #1746
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
I never thought I'd see the day when someone would try to argue that Chevy Camaros and Ford Mustangs are not GT cars and do not belong in a NORTH AMERICAN GT/sports car endurance racing championship.

How sad and historically inaccurate.

Andy Flinn
They don't. How apt and accurate. They're heavy, ill handling pigs and they aren't sportscars. Please don't tell your NASCAR overlords on me. I think you probably need to do some research on what a GT car is. Just because in the past some people went to Home Depot and welded some metal tubing together, doesn't mean that they're suddenly sportscars and belong in an endurance series. Feel free to watch the tube framed NASCAR stock cars or the Trans-Am series if you want a collection of tubes dressed up as a "Mustang" or "Camaro." Seems to me your beloved tube-framed Grand-Am teams have rejected their archaic vehicles in favor of actual cars.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 01:53 (Ref:3332839)   #1747
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding Pickett...

Quote:
the team rolled out a PC car for the test at Sebring as the first step in a possible three-class entry in TUDOR Championship competition.
I think we knew 2 classes were likely but I think this is the first 3-class mention I've seen.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3332842)   #1748
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Regarding Pickett...

I think we knew 2 classes were likely but I think this is the first 3-class mention I've seen.
Maybe a GTD Porsche?
Old 18 Nov 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3332843)   #1749
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Regarding Pickett...

Just tack on the two classes that were talked about before the PC showed up.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 02:14 (Ref:3332845)   #1750
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Regarding Pickett...

Calling it:

P2 Oreca-Nissan
GTE Nissan GTR

Mark it down folks.