Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Aug 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2278159)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
I did a feature on female drivers for Goodwood one year and this year I have approval for a different feature,
Cool, so why not roll the overall race reports into the article?

Quote:
but as the target reader expects to hear about the racing and read all the results, it may not appear until the following month.
I thought those on this forum may be the target readers.

Quote:
A conundrum for the reporter and a headache for the editor. I still need to write up each race I'm allocated - so yes you're right, I am trying to improve my writing skills. At the Oldtimers I followed a team through their preparation and race in the Marathon but it may end up cut. Large events with numerous races are very difficult to cover every race, let alone every driver's perspective.
I'm not suggesting you get every driver's perspective. If you were (let's say) following Roger Wills last year at the 6hrs then you would have a story about broken gearboxes, swapping cars to race after pleading with the CoC, wins, trophies and more (he was also being filmed for a TV series at the time). You'd still have the race winners and results because that's what the event was about. Its just that Roger's story may well have been more interesting than Michael Schryver (or whomever) "stomped over everyone to win", which is what we normally get in any magazine.

I think our racing requires a different approach. Not just "there were fifty cars for such and such a race and so and so won". We need the stories that result from people who qualify last then appear many places above where they started. Why would that be? Surely its of interest?

The point may be that with modern motor sport its about teams, in our area of the sport (albeit there are prep teams around) its really about the individual, the car owner.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2278164)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As an addendum. John T does a good job on here in a similar vein to my suggestion.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2278176)   #53
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It is possible that Marcus would have written that type of Michael Schriber story!I would prefer the RW story and as an aside his take on the new Cold War
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2278177)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh bugger! We agree!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2278182)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Diary note made; Ruston and Mallett agree - shock horror headline!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2278193)   #56
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you have to cover a whole meeting, why feel the need to cover every race? Autosport for the last two years, for their club race reports, have instructed correspondents not to feel they have to mention every race. Obviously this is annoying to those drivers or followers belonging to a particular category that is omitted, but it (hopefully) results in slightly more satisfactory reports with a little more space to expand on points of interest. I think it works well because it gives a more interesting report to the 'general' audience.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2278282)   #57
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Oh bugger! We agree!

Could this be the end of the cold war as we know it?
Stay tuned for next weeks thrilling installment only here on 10 tenths Motorsport.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2278544)   #58
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
HMRN
-Who is Hugues Mallet?

No war as we are both members of GCC this week and have never had the pleasure of meeting.Must go and have a look at the Tin Tops at Terry's No 1 meeting,never know may catch a glimse of Whizzo.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2278555)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrys No1 ??. Revenge taste good John?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2278561)   #60
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Add 'Cars for the Connoisseur' to the rubbish pile.It arrived at noon and went in the bin at 12.02
I felt obliged to join it again as I am going to Charles' lunch where Tony Brooks is giving the talk but regrettably I tend to agree - its the petrolhead equivalent of The Nigel Dempster column!
Old 31 Aug 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2278608)   #61
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only just seen this thread (don't get onto the site as often as I should)
However, having reported hundreds of historic meetings over the years, I can confirm that the emphasis must be different for each publication depending, as has been said, on the target audience.
I was Carol's main race-reporter on HMRN from the beginning until about five or six years ago, and accepted that - in contrast to, say, Autosport - HMRN existed for competitors more than casual racegoers.
In my day one person reported every race - yes, even at an Oldtimer meeting or Coys Festival - and it's possible to do it all. Not easy, but possible.
My belief was that readers wanted an idea of what happened in a race, and an explanation for why the expected didn't happen. One you sussed out a method of doing that, it fell into place.
Of course, I'd always leave a meeting wondering what happened to Joe Bloggs in the second-to-last race, having failed to catch up with him afterwards, but there's always the telephone to catch up later.
And of course we published full results of every race which are available on the web now, but weren't back then.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2278646)   #62
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I have to say David that they were the better years.Its only three years since I cancelled my subscription,thats when I decided I did not like what I had been paying for.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2278671)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Mr McKinney we need you back using this site as the rest us only think we known about Historics,you do!
Old 31 Aug 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2278695)   #64
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
If you have to cover a whole meeting, why feel the need to cover every race? Autosport for the last two years, for their club race reports, have instructed correspondents not to feel they have to mention every race. Obviously this is annoying to those drivers or followers belonging to a particular category that is omitted, but it (hopefully) results in slightly more satisfactory reports with a little more space to expand on points of interest. I think it works well because it gives a more interesting report to the 'general' audience.
So what do we leave out? The same series each time? The most boring race? The one we have no friends in? The one without an advertiser? I would be pretty teed off if my race wasn't included, especially if I thought it was a stonker. I think it's possible a small production magazine aimed purely at the Historic racing scene does not have that luxury, though that is purely my opinion.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2278711)   #65
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that is the diference between Autosport and something like HMRN. Lets be honest who bothers to read a race report (beyond possibly the results) that you were not in some form involved? I certainly will not get too excited about some other weekend warrior's race. On that basis I cannot get too upset if - as a midfielder at best - I dont get a mention.
If I could remember to do it I would cancel all my subs as normally Octane or one of the other two Classic mags are a lot more interesting
Old 31 Aug 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2278724)   #66
David McKinney
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Mr McKinney we need you back using this site as the rest us only think we known about Historics,you do!
Aw, shucks
Old 1 Sep 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2279397)   #67
scoop
Rookie

scoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of sticking the head above the parapet...

I do quite a bit of this stuff and try to follow some basic rules:

Try not to rubbish anyone - they've all worked hard and spent time and money to be there;
Try and be impartial, even when you know some of the participants quite well;
Add value to what people saw on the day - if you don't, then what's the point of being there?;
Be as accurate/fair/objective/informative/amusing as your talent/knowledge allows.

I have to say that I am often quite disappointed with the quality of what is written, but the pay is crap and the hours are bad! Also, no matter how hard you try, someone will be there to disagree/pick up errors and gleefully tell you all about it...

That aside, it's a great job and sure beats having a grown up job, but you surely have to be an enthusiast to do it.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2279401)   #68
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the scribblers that have either left a post here or PM'd me. All comments are gratefully received. All I can do is my best, but each report I either write or read plus readers and journalists advice hopefully raises the bar.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2279425)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop
I do quite a bit of this stuff and try to follow some basic rules:
Talk about setting yourself up. I hope the rest of the posters here know who you are.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2279499)   #70
scoop
Rookie

scoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter

Yes, I know that's opening the door for all sorts of comments and abuse....
But after 20 years of doing this, you tend to get used to racing drivers and their sometimes sensitive nature.

So, I'll come out of the closet and admit that my real name is Paul Lawrence and I do a bit of this race reporting lark from time to time.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2279506)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I was wandering around Castle Combe a few weeks ago when I bumped into Steve Jones. He spotted my camera around my neck and protested that I could either have a car or a camera, I couldn't have both. The result?

I think my driving skills outweigh my photography skills. And that is perhaps how it should be, because although any effort to produce a report is welcome, as a general rule, if its produced by someone who is also racing or spannering etc. it'll be biased and probably not a good read.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2279546)   #72
David McKinney
Veteran

I agree with what Scoop says (specially as I now know who he is)
I think my guiding principle was always the thought that I was there to tell people who couldn't make it to the meeting the sort of things I would like to know
Old 1 Sep 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2279553)   #73
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Of course we know who he is,he wrote the book on that notorious villian,------Whizzo.