Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Sep 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3311217)   #1
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Dyson maybe in a GT? Maybe not at all next year in USCCÉ

Plenty to read about.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no404.html
Very transparent article. The USCC can't accommodate Lime Rock on the schedule (for 2014 at least) so Gordon Kirby sets out to trash practically every aspect of the new series - which hasn't even held its first race yet.

He even had the nerve to knock the low ALMS LMP1 grid counts when it's his long-standing push for higher levels of technology (and expense) in sports car racing that is responsible for the death of the class in North America (just like IMSA Camel GTP in the late '90s) and the need for ALMS to merge with Grand-Am in 2014.

Funny. The product that will become the USCC is so insignificant. Yet Kirby plans to devote several future columns to talking about it.

Also, to refer to someone who stops watching Sebring, Petit and other ALMS races as a "hard-core" sports car racing fan simply because Audi or some other manufacturer isn't involved is bassackwards, ridiculous and possibly the most absurd thing I've ever read.

It's people like Gordon Kirby who ruined CART and - ironically - turned IndyCar into the spec-chassis spectacle it is today.

I couldn't care less if he ignores the USCC next year.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 30 Sep 2013 at 21:56.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3311123)   #2
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/oreca-looking-t...rticle/313909/

Oreca looking to expand their operations in the US, but it's unlikely they will find an LMP2 customer before Daytona (maybe before Sebring?)
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3311163)   #3
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another boost to the series - Simon Pagenaud wants in for as many races as he can

http://www.racer.com/pagenaud-pursui...rticle/314030/

It might not be going swimmingly behind the scenes but on the announcement front the anticipation is snowballing.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3311165)   #4
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Another boost to the series - Simon Pagenaud wants in for as many races as he can

http://www.racer.com/pagenaud-pursui...rticle/314030/

It might not be going swimmingly behind the scenes but on the announcement front the anticipation is snowballing.
As we've become used to, he'll be an invaluable addition to any team that he drives for. Hope to see him in as many rounds... and, if there's no Indycar or USCC on that particular weekend, at Pikes Peak again.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3311167)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or at Le Mans if we're lucky.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3311169)   #6
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Or at Le Mans if we're lucky.
Highly unlikely, Indycar always seems to clash with Le Mans (both the test day and the race itself).
Old 30 Sep 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3311199)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
What rating is Chris? He really is an Am driver...

I think they really want to keep their employees busy more than anything else, even if it is a stop gap program.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3311202)   #8
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
What rating is Chris? He really is an Am driver...

I think they really want to keep their employees busy more than anything else, even if it is a stop gap program.
Gold

Old 30 Sep 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3311211)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!

Last edited by Beetle; 30 Sep 2013 at 21:33. Reason: Nevermind
Old 1 Oct 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3311277)   #10
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the only LMP2 we will see in TUSCC at this point is the Extreme Speed HPD and an 8star car (not sure of their make).

Also in regards to the field limit idea at the enduros: I'm cool with IMSA turning away all of the Euro P2 teams. I could not care less about them. When I watch WEC its for P1 and GTLM, I ignore P2 completely. But if Aston Martin and AF Corse for GTLM are turned away, then I'll be pi$$ed to no end.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 05:18 (Ref:3311292)   #11
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It sounds like some teams may have to shockingly qualify for the race based on lap times.
If outright lap times are used, only GTD cars will be in danger of not making the cut anyway.
If a certain number of positions are allotted to each class, I can't really see IMSA turning away a P2 or GTLM team from Europe to allow a non seasonal American LMPC or GTD car in.
I think all P and GTLM cars will be in and PC and GTD may have to fight it out in qualifying.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3311553)   #12
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Maybe the only LMP2 we will see in TUSCC at this point is the Extreme Speed HPD and an 8star car (not sure of their make).

Also in regards to the field limit idea at the enduros: I'm cool with IMSA turning away all of the Euro P2 teams. I could not care less about them. When I watch WEC its for P1 and GTLM, I ignore P2 completely. But if Aston Martin and AF Corse for GTLM are turned away, then I'll be pi$$ed to no end.
That would be an idiotic move, to turn away established European teams, especially ones in P2.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3311574)   #13
Bicknell55
Rookie

United States
Lancaster, PA
Bicknell55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last time this issue came up (PLM in 2011 I think) ALMS sent home a few cars from GTC. It's hard to speculate how they'll handle it this time around but I'd think GTD would be the first to get cut. I wouldn't expect a EU based team to spend the money to ship equipment over without a guarantee they will make the race. This really isn't that different from Le Mans where full season WEC cars are already in while everyone else must be granted a spot.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3311577)   #14
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If cars are to be turned away, then start with the specs....which now is just LMPC.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3311691)   #15
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
If cars are to be turned away, then start with the specs....which now is just LMPC.
This is brilliant. I guess with the general (to me) unfavorable direction that NA Racing is taking I haven't really put my head down to think about how I would (not that I have the chance) improve things, but I think this hits the nails on the head. I think we can all agree PC and GTC were introduced as grid fillers, and now that they're not needed...just make it a support race and take them out of the main show.

Why lose variety and a chance at international appeal for the sake of not wanting to hurt Amateur Hour's feelings?
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3311940)   #16
PatrickB
Rookie

Canada
Nanaimo BC
PatrickB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I think we can all agree PC and GTC were introduced as grid fillers, and now that they're not needed...just make it a support race and take them out of the main show.
I deffinetly don't agree. PC has become much more than a feild filler. It now has some fantastic teams and drivers. PC has been the best class in the ALMS for a couple years and sounds like it will be even stronger next year.

Like other guys have said the full season USCC teams should be garanteed a spot. Then let the rest qualify and knock teams out based on a percentage from the class leader. So a slow P2 team might get bumped instead of a GTD if the GTD is closer to its class leader.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3311950)   #17
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
I deffinetly don't agree. PC has become much more than a feild filler. It now has some fantastic teams and drivers. PC has been the best class in the ALMS for a couple years and sounds like it will be even stronger next year.
Which PC driver are you a family member of? PC has been the best class in the ALMS? I get that the ALMS prototype classes have been garbage for a couple years but no Pro-AM spec prototype class filled with FLM09 Chevy V8s is going to be better than ALMS GT no matter how many cars are in each class.

PC and GTC are the exact opposite of what sportscar racing is supposed to be and I'd prefer DP over PC every time. For me, PC is the 5th best class in the ALMS...out of 5. It is a class for the competitors and for the series to grid fill/collect entry fees. It is not a class for the fans to care about.

And before you ask, yes I do prefer Lucas Luhr lapping Dyson and the Delta Wing 3 times over Charlie Shears and Rusty Mitchell seconds apart battling it out for "glory" No offense to either one of them.

Last edited by pach233; 2 Oct 2013 at 18:51.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3311952)   #18
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
And before you ask, yes I do prefer Lucas Luhr lapping Dyson and the Delta Wing 3 times over Charlie Shears and Rusty Mitchell seconds apart battling it out for "glory" No offense to either one of them.
Precisely. Add in the fact I think it was Shears, who was 20 laps down, trying to play race car driver, ruined the chance of the Viper passing the Corvette at the end of the race at Mosport. Useless class for the fans.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3312023)   #19
PatrickB
Rookie

Canada
Nanaimo BC
PatrickB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which PC driver are you a family member of? PC has been the best class in the ALMS? I get that the ALMS prototype classes have been garbage for a couple years but no Pro-AM spec prototype class filled with FLM09 Chevy V8s is going to be better than ALMS GT no matter how many cars are in each class.

PC and GTC are the exact opposite of what sportscar racing is supposed to be and I'd prefer DP over PC every time. For me, PC is the 5th best class in the ALMS...out of 5. It is a class for the competitors and for the series to grid fill/collect entry fees. It is not a class for the fans to care about.

Heres some current PC drivers-
Ryan Dalziel
Bruno Junqueira
Tom Kimber-Smith
Dane Cameron
Colin Braun
Some of the best prototype drivers out there bar none. Plus its a fantastic way for guys to get into protoypes and possibly move up to the big class in the future. No I'm not related to anyone. Do any of the current team owners have hot daughters?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3312059)   #20
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I feel the same way about Dps.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3311949)   #21
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Why lose variety and a chance at international appeal for the sake of not wanting to hurt Amateur Hour's feelings?
Agree 100%. There is no need for the LMPC class in the new series. If P2 was the top class on confidential tires and DP was the pro-am "prototype" class at least there would be diversity. Plus the DP could be left almost as-is, minus a BHP increase to stay ahead of GTLM. Spec classes have no place in a top level series.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3312100)   #22
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Agree 100%. There is no need for the LMPC class in the new series. If P2 was the top class on confidential tires and DP was the pro-am "prototype" class at least there would be diversity. Plus the DP could be left almost as-is, minus a BHP increase to stay ahead of GTLM. Spec classes have no place in a top level series.
Yes, the USCC should foresake at least 8 to 10 committed LMPC entries next year in favor of phantom LMP2's and Euro LMP2's that haven't committed to anything in the USCC next year beyond maybe Daytona or Sebring.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 3 Oct 2013 at 05:29.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3312841)   #23
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ganassi to Chevy in Indycar. Doesn't say anything about USCC, but it may be an indication of their sports car program.

http://www.racer.com/chip-ganassi-ra...rticle/314879/
Old 3 Oct 2013, 05:06 (Ref:3312096)   #24
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
This is brilliant. I guess with the general (to me) unfavorable direction that NA Racing is taking I haven't really put my head down to think about how I would (not that I have the chance) improve things, but I think this hits the nails on the head. I think we can all agree PC and GTC were introduced as grid fillers, and now that they're not needed...just make it a support race and take them out of the main show.

Because after all the Euro entries have been crated up and shipped back to Europe, it's the LMPC and affordable GTC-style Porsche Cup cars - and more importantly their teams and drivers - that will be filling out the grids and supporting the series at the other ten events on the USCC schedule next year.

Almost half of the 35 cars on the entry list for the ALMS race at VIR this weekend are LMPC and GTC.

Andy Flinn
Old 1 Oct 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3311596)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
You have to allow your biggest customers into the race... your full season entrants, no matter what they drive. Practical business.