Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2002, 17:56 (Ref:332030)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jag RB3 Expectations?

Wondering what y'all think is going to come from the latest Jag evolution... It was junk in Silverstone, but its pace in testing at Monza today wasn't that bad, De la Rosa had a 1.24.7 to Pizzonia's 1.24.0 and Panis's 1.24.6, and he beat Salo by over a second...

Oh yeah, James Courtney's test came to an early end with a 300km/hr shunt in Ascari (rear suspension)...
Old 12 Jul 2002, 00:12 (Ref:332255)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not too confident. It seems to still be slow, and things like rear suspension failures at 300km/h aren't good. That isn't a bad time, though.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 01:32 (Ref:332270)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shoot it, put it out of it's misery.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 01:32 (Ref:332271)   #4
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How could the tether of a wheel snaps just like that without having to have any impact in the first place?

That definitely is very dangerous and the Jags should look closely on their safety aspect
Old 12 Jul 2002, 01:43 (Ref:332277)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jaguar need better drivers to develop the car. Frankly, Irvine and PDLR can't do the job.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 01:52 (Ref:332284)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not the drivers at fault but the whole team who is involved with the designs that should be replaced. The drivers drives the car and the data accumulated are analyzed and from there further improvements can be made.

The chassis and aerodynamics expect are just not up to the F1 standard to be competitive just yet. The engines aren't that bad as Arrows had made a few suprises with them.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 02:22 (Ref:332289)   #7
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a story in the recent past regarding a particular wind tunnel, that was basically so out of date it was providing totally unreliable data.

Is Jaguar still having to rent-a-tunnel? And have they rushed these new bits through so quickly that they are breaking right away?

I'd be looking ahead to the R4. And not with a great deal of hope, either. We are talking 2 to 3 seconds needed here, just to be competitive. That is a MAJOR undertaking, to say the least. I don't think they can do it, IMHO.

Jukebox is correct, the Arrows has shown what could have been possible, especially with the second best driver behind the wheel!

So far, Niki's not cutting it. He did quite a bit of damage when he pulled the power trip on Rahal. He is reaping the benefits of his autocratic style now.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 08:33 (Ref:332380)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jaguar do have a wind tunnel now, although I feel this will not be enough to see improvement.

In terms of developing the car, it is clearly down to the engineers AND drivers. The engineers can only go on what the drivers tell them. And back to back comparisons can only work if the drivers can drive consistently.

I think the problem lies with the designers, the engineers and the drivers. The previous lack of their own wind tunnel accentuated this.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 11:46 (Ref:332513)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read this week that Jag have now decided that the problem is mechanical rather than aero, which means they won't cure this in a wind tunnel.

Irvine said corner turn is was better, but the new mod's have thrown up a new set of problems, which they seem to have no idea how to solve. I don't think their testing time's mean much. Pizzonia normally seems to concentrate on longer run's, testing particular components or tyes as opposed for going for fast lap times. William's are interested in constructive test's, not being fastest on a test day.

You never know what spec Jag are running either, how many times have we seen them fast on a Friday, but second from back row on a Saturday!

Basically, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If a car is fundamentaly bad - it's bad, and nothing you do will change it that much.

Worryingly for Jaguar, it doesn't look as if the current technical line up will be able to produce anything much better next year, having spent the last six months working on an aero solution - that they now find should be a mechanical one. Doesn't bode well.

FWIW, I can't see Ford sticking with it, they need to make cost cut's, Jag F1 would be a good place to start and just concentrate on being an engine supplier.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 14:22 (Ref:332704)   #10
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boat anchor and a expensive one at that
Old 12 Jul 2002, 15:07 (Ref:332717)   #11
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know you havent heard from me in a while, and i know you are all deeply sad because of that.

Just to clear things up, the car that was crashed in the hands of the aussie, (or crashed itself) was actually not a R3B! it was the R3! i think Pedro was testing the R3B, and Irvine, if he was there.

I dont know what to think of the R3B, i dont think we can really judge the silverstone performance, that was just to crazy, as to form a benchmark of your opinion on, and besides, it is only the first gp.

just wondering, is it just the aerodynamics altered, or the cars design completely?

Tom.

Last edited by twig; 12 Jul 2002 at 15:12.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 15:14 (Ref:332720)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on the fact that they say they now have a 'new' mechanical grip problem, I think the update was all aero, in the form of floor, wings, and side-pods. Swervin' Irvine has commented that the car has much more downforce now... they just still can't force the car to behave on track. Seems there must be a fundamental flaw in the car's suspension design.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 15:43 (Ref:332738)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR have the some problem, I think. It seems that the cars are "sows esrs". Jag did screw up with all their political garbage and now the cars suffer. Unfortunately they will need to start looking into next years car. This one is a dud.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 16:38 (Ref:332790)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR didn't have a great Canada GP with the new pack, but scored points this time around.

Jaguar has not been good since it was Stewart... I dunno how they converted a car that could take poles and almost wins under normal conditions to this 4 dogs R1, R2, R3 and R3B...
Old 12 Jul 2002, 23:21 (Ref:333000)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poor James can't get a break in that Jag. His first test of the year was plagued by mechanical problems, and then it rained. And then this happens at his replacement test!