Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 9 Nov 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1456342)   #51
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Dino missed the gravel, but I could be wrong. I'd forgotton about Carbone (yes, I think it was him) which proves the point. Every safety feature is only as good as the accident that involves it, and it's impossible to have one that suits everything. That's before you start to think of the different requirements of saloons and bikes, all of which have to be taken into account.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1456392)   #52
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
On the car side of things, it has almost eliminated cars hitting walls but there are now more roll overs as cars try to go through a gravel trap sideways.
Rollovers, as long as you don't roll into something solid, is easily one of the safest ways to have a big crash, since the car is allowed to shed parts, and thus energy, away from the driver through a long series of big and small impacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Sorry to be a purist but tarmac run off areas just ruin circuits completely, giving the driver an easy option of running wide if he overcommits. I know saftey wise they are a good idea but just how far down this road are we going to go!! Also I don't know about anyone else but I think circuits like that just look like giant car parks and come across as completely sterile and faceless, Bring back grass!!
Amen to that. The safety-thinking today, within car-racing anyhow, is more like a hysteria rather than based on rational thinking.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1456675)   #53
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Rollovers, as long as you don't roll into something solid, is easily one of the safest ways to have a big crash, since the car is allowed to shed parts, and thus energy, away from the driver through a long series of big and small impacts.
I think that what PVDA is getting at is that since they replaced the grassed areas with gravel, it has changed from having a simple spin if you go off on those corner, to now either getting bogged or rolling the car, so by attempting to make it safer, they have actually increased the risks (and that is with mentioning the new pit exit that feeds straight out onto the racing line in one of the fastests corners in Australia)
Old 10 Nov 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1456874)   #54
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yep.

What Datto said.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1457212)   #55
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst not trying to detract from the "badness" (if there is such a word!) of the accident, there's an advert that caught my eye on page 30 of AS - pic of the Japanese car and the byline "and not a drop of fuel spelt" advertising the fuel cell company. Good one.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1457545)   #56
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, a1 gp has been very lively in terms of cars leaving the ground an crashing heavily.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1457574)   #57
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too lively. It's slowed down the arrival of all the teams' 2nd cars!! Not now due until Dubai at the earliest
Old 12 Nov 2005, 02:15 (Ref:1458546)   #58
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Whilst not trying to detract from the "badness" (if there is such a word!) of the accident, there's an advert that caught my eye on page 30 of AS - pic of the Japanese car and the byline "and not a drop of fuel spelt" advertising the fuel cell company. Good one.
i just saw that ad....brilliant
Old 15 Nov 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1461628)   #59
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just got 2 add......did anyone think befor they installed tarmac run off that wet tarmac is pretty damn slippy, and though i dont like motor cycling that much, a motorcyclist is gunna have a nasty landing if he falls off on a tarmac runoff
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1462495)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Shimoda will be back racing for Team Japan in Malaysia this weekend, but doesn't want to see any photos or footage of his accident at Eastern Creek. I can understand that...