Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Dec 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3482510)   #6001
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Nissan?
In what capacity?

He has no LMP experience whatsoever so I can't see him as a candidate for their LMP1 programme.

It will probably be something US-centric, he was talking about how all this traveling back and forth to Europe was a drawback for him.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3482511)   #6002
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Ford?
Old 6 Dec 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3482528)   #6003
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Good shout that. I had assumed Corvette instead of Magnussen maybe, but Ford is a strong possibility. I can understand why they would drop him from DTM but I would have assumed BMW would still have a use for him in the US, so would be surprised if it wasn't his choice to leave.
Old 6 Dec 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3482535)   #6004
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
On Wednesday's WMSC decisions article there was an article regarding WEC and other than calendar it only said A series of changes were made to the sporting and technical regulations for 2015, which are available on fia.com.

I checked both the FIA regs page as well as endurance committee decisions and found nothing, anyone else have anything? Or are they just slow on updating as usual
Don't have a link but heard something about ballasting LMP cars if their average driver weight is below a certain level. So everyone is running at roughly the same weight and it is not a disadvantage to have tall/heavy drivers like Webber, Wurz, Hulk etc. Hulkenburg, not The Incredible Hulk.
But it was a rumour so maybe this isn't even in the new rules.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3482881)   #6005
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
In what capacity?

He has no LMP experience whatsoever so I can't see him as a candidate for their LMP1 programme.

It will probably be something US-centric, he was talking about how all this traveling back and forth to Europe was a drawback for him.
True, though I wouldn't have a hard time believing Nissan doing something outside of the ordinary. Something crazy, like investing heavily in people who haven't raced a certain car/class/at all. Getting Hand in their roster doesn't really seem far fetched when you consider they also like to recruit from video gamers. Why not develop Hand for prototypes, if you're already developing people with a significantly less impressive resume anyway.

If such a match up were going to pan out, he'd be a big name American to go with a little name American that came through GT Academy.

Just a guess. It seems it would give him the opportunity to race sooner and at a higher profile than whatever Ford introduces in 2016.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3482904)   #6006
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Saying a modern DTM driver can't quickly adapt to a modern LMP1 car is pretty daft.

-mike
Old 7 Dec 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3482909)   #6007
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Saying a modern DTM driver can't quickly adapt to a modern LMP1 car is pretty daft.

-mike
One could argue that he wasn't the quickest guy in DTM exactly, so I'm not sure how that works in his favor.

I'm not saying he is a bad driver or that he couldn't be a good LMP1 driver, there's just nothing in his CV that suggests he will and as such he would be a risky pick for Nissan, especially considering that there's plenty of young drivers with substantial LMP experience out there.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3482915)   #6008
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
One could argue that he wasn't the quickest guy in DTM exactly, so I'm not sure how that works in his favor.
One could argue that neither was Kristensen, but that's me playing Devils Advocate because I don't necessarily disagree with you, but its an angle I hasn't considered. We've seen how well SGT guys gave adapted and vice-versa.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3482917)   #6009
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
One could argue that neither was Kristensen, but that's me playing Devils Advocate because I don't necessarily disagree with you, but its an angle I hasn't considered. We've seen how well SGT guys gave adapted and vice-versa.
Kristensen won some races at least. Luhr was a real stinker in DTM (though that might have been to some extent down to him running in an older car), but he was quite quick in the RS Spyder.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3482918)   #6010
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Thanks, that's a better example!
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3482922)   #6011
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Don't have a link but heard something about ballasting LMP cars if their average driver weight is below a certain level. So everyone is running at roughly the same weight and it is not a disadvantage to have tall/heavy drivers like Webber, Wurz, Hulk etc. Hulkenburg, not The Incredible Hulk.
But it was a rumour so maybe this isn't even in the new rules.
French AutoHebdo magazine do report that it is contemplated to impose ballast if the average weight of the drivers is below 80kg.

There was also rumour some time ago that the technical regulations would be revised to allow DRS-like adjustable wing elements, but I haven't heard any confirmation of this recently.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3482925)   #6012
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
There was also rumour some time ago that the technical regulations would be revised to allow DRS-like adjustable wing elements, but I haven't heard any confirmation of this recently.
Would this be in reply to the Toyota flexi-wing-mount thing? To be honest, if they want to go in this direction, I REALLY hope they go the full distance and allow proper active aerodynamics.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3482926)   #6013
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Would this be in reply to the Toyota flexi-wing-mount thing? To be honest, if they want to go in this direction, I REALLY hope they go the full distance and allow proper active aerodynamics.
It just makes sense doesn't it? Fits in with the drive for efficiency and it's not as if these cars aren't already massively complicated (and expensive). In fact, compared to the hybrid technology some form of unrestricted DRS would be much simpler to implement, so it'd be good for the privateer LMP1s as well.

Edit - Did we ever get clarification on how the wing worked? I remember the popular theory was that it rotated about the pivot with the help of some rear bodywork flexing, but obviously it was hushed up because that wing seemingly went the way of the dodo...
Old 7 Dec 2014, 19:15 (Ref:3482932)   #6014
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be quite happy for DRS to stay well out of sportscar racing and any racing in fact to be honest.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3482933)   #6015
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Even if it could be used anywhere on the track and there was no need to be close behind a following car? I think if I hadn't mentioned the name there'd be no problem here - I'm not interested in it as a way to facilitate overtaking or to keep cars close.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3482939)   #6016
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd be quite happy for DRS to stay well out of sportscar racing and any racing in fact to be honest.
Movable aero to increase performance and efficiency is ok. Movable aero as a stupid artificial overtaking help needs to be removed from any kind of racing.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3482940)   #6017
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
As long as it doesn't use it as a gimmick, I wanna see DRS in sports car racing.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3482950)   #6018
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Why on earth would a plank on a hinge be of any use whatsoever in real racing - One thing sportscar racing doesn't have is an overtaking problem.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3482954)   #6019
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
If movable aerodynamic devices do make it into the LMP1 rules, I do trust that this is going to be exploited as a means to further improve efficiency, not as some artifice to facilitate overtaking.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3482957)   #6020
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's stupid, but no stupider than joker laps and reference lap times and secret waiver lists and performance based specs and whatever else our side of the pond has. DRS people would equally laugh at much of our stuff.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3482968)   #6021
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Should probably wait to see what the rule modifications are. Innovation is a welcome. When road cars have more technology than a race car, I think it shows rules are a little too restrictive. They could allow a few things road cars have. VVT is one thing I dont understand the ban on.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 23:17 (Ref:3482970)   #6022
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Didn't the Porsche 917 have moveable aerodynamic devices?

DRS as implemented in F1 is absurd, aerodynamics that adapt themselves to their circumstances? That appeals - and if you look at how road cars work, nothing particularly new either.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3483011)   #6023
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are plenty of road going cars that have active aerodynamics and it isn't to help them overtake. I agree that the open and close DRS in F1 is dim, particularly in the terms that they are allowed to use it and the reasons that it was implemented in the first place. Ever since wings have been involved in racing engineers have wanted them to be adjustable throughout the lap. At first it was legal. Chaparral had an automatic trans and a foot adjusted trim 50 years ago. Even now we have had Toyota working outside of the regs with a wing that trims out under load and Red Bull getting busted for front wing elements that were engineered to flex in a beneficial way under load. It's ridiculous that this and many other things have been banned for so long and if you can't separate true active aero from F1's DRS then you should further educate yourself on the matter. It's really more interesting than you may realize. No matter it's all speculation for now so no need for anybody to get worked up regardless of opinion on the matter.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3483082)   #6024
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Active aerodynamics in LMP1 would be interesting, imagine what they could do with infinitely adjustable wings, being able to automaticly adjust them though every corner, for just the optimum downforce.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3483090)   #6025
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think adding any more complexity to those fuel flow hybrid cars is just going to increase the likelihood of drivers fiercely paying attention to their steering wheel buttons and other telemetry while their cars are crashing into Ferraris