Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jul 2015, 20:47 (Ref:3562256)   #7001
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Viper might be gone, as Riley would have to spend money to modify the old chassis for the new "regs" just to be used once in the whole year, and also it's disappeared from the FIA BoP lists again, so that could release one spot.

Anyway, what you mean by four Fords?

edit: scratch that modification rule as AM would let them just run the old chassis for one year I guess. But were they particularly satisfied this year, apart from the notice they got?
Old 29 Jul 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3562260)   #7002
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The Viper might be gone, as Riley would have to spend money to modify the old chassis for the new "regs" just to be used once in the whole year, and also it's disappeared from the FIA BoP lists again, so that could release one spot.

Anyway, what you mean by four Fords?

edit: scratch that modification rule as AM would let them just run the old chassis for one year I guess. But were they particularly satisfied this year, apart from the notice they got?
I was trying to block out as much of the Ford going back to Le Mans PR as I could, but from what I heard it sounded as if they wanted to run both their WEC cars and TUSC cars at Le Mans next year. I might have misunderstood what they were getting at, but I'm pretty sure some Ford exec said four cars at Le Mans next year…

Now whether the ACO gives them four spots is a different matter…
Old 29 Jul 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3562261)   #7003
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alright I had pretty much passed on the articles, frankly because I don't have much interest in the matter, but having read them

The two Ford teams will be operated by Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS). Both series teams intend to compete with a four-car effort at Le Mans.

I guess it's pretty clear then where the free'd up garages go. Obviously that's two auto invites, and the other two if actually entered as said ACO are gonna let in because of good faith
Old 29 Jul 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3562262)   #7004
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
And I remembered correctly. From the Ford press release announcing the program:

“Both series teams intend to compete with a four-car effort at Le Mans.”

So, yes, Ford wants four spots. Whether they’ll get four is a different matter entirely. Two is a given, three likely, though asking for four may be asking a bit much but I’m sure at worst the fourth car would be on the reserve list.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3562264)   #7005
Deleted
Veteran

If Aston Martin is able to get five and AF Corse with it's satellite teams million every year, the four are given. They want to cater such big name anyway, it's all about catering now as Viper and co showed
Old 29 Jul 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3562302)   #7006
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Anyone heard if Glickenhaus has managed to get enough orders to provide hope for homologation?
Old 30 Jul 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3562310)   #7007
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Anyone heard if Glickenhaus has managed to get enough orders to provide hope for homologation?
When was GTE ambition mentioned?

On other hand, he mentioned on the long RLM interview (was broadcasted on the test day, iirc) that if sells enough of the road cars, he might do an actual private LMP1.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3562318)   #7008
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Depends on what LMPs would replace them. Apart from MSR, all the LMP2 teams with decent results in their own series are already at Le Mans every year, so the extra LMPs would possibly be taken from the rear of the ELMS grid. And frankly, given the option, I'd rather take two GTE-Pro cars that run towards the front of that class's field than two LMP2 cars that trundle at the back of theirs.
Well not all teams can find the funding for non pay drivers during a full season and thus rely on slower pay drivers to go racing. It doesn't mean they are inept in their ability to produce a capable car in the right hands. Given it's LM, the chances of finding funding for the one off event to put faster bums in seats is higher.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 09:23 (Ref:3562402)   #7009
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't imagine Porsche also closing down it's factory TUSC involvement next year for the 2017 car. So Porsche can still be present in GTE-Pro at Le Mans next year under the Porsche North America banner. All current GTE cars will be grandfathered for next year, including GTE-Pro. So they don't have to develop anything new for Le Mans only.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 09:35 (Ref:3562412)   #7010
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
When was GTE ambition mentioned?
Early on in the project he talked about taking the car to Le Mans. Since then he mostly backed the talk off to GT3 at best, but with the revamp of the rules coming there's little doubt the door to GTE is open again.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3564661)   #7011
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess it's a rumour...but...

2016 will be the final year for WEC at COTA, there will be a new US venue in 2017.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Aug 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3564662)   #7012
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I guess it's a rumour...but...

2016 will be the final year for WEC at COTA, there will be a new US venue in 2017.
And that rumoured venue (if I read some tweets correctly today)...

...is...

...Road America. (with pitlane/paddock upgrades)
Old 8 Aug 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3564663)   #7013
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
And that rumoured venue (if I read some tweets correctly today)...

...is...

...Road America. (with pitlane/paddock upgrades)
Far from guaranteed, and it may not be in 2017. New information I've learned today with a few phone calls may see no US round in 2017, but re-appearing in 2018.

It depends on a few things. COTA is in massive financial strife and I fully expect the venue to be closing it's doors in terms of motorsport after then end of the 2016 season.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Aug 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3564669)   #7014
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
This was being heavily hinted at when Marshal Pruett was on MWM this week, laying out the case for COTA to more or less switch full-time to hosting entertainment & corporate events. I didn't connect the dots then unfortunately.

Regardless of which venue takes it (apart from Road Atlanta?) they will need to prepare so if the US round is left out for '17 then it may be a wise call.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3564671)   #7015
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
This was being heavily hinted at when Marshal Pruett was on MWM this week, laying out the case for COTA to more or less switch full-time to hosting entertainment & corporate events. I didn't connect the dots then unfortunately.
Correct. They are struggling quite significantly. F1 may not be returning after this year.

Quote:
Regardless of which venue takes it (apart from Road Atlanta?) they will need to prepare so if the US round is left out for '17 then it may be a wise call.
Road America is the best prepared to handle it, they know what needs to be done. There have been plans for the required improvements for certain events since 2012... some have happened, others were postponed. Part of the postponed plans have been the pit garages and terraces.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:46 (Ref:3564680)   #7016
Deleted
Veteran

COTA giving up? This is fantastic news! Also might force the ACO to reconsider it's "requirements" if they want to be in US.

But let's be honest Indy Roval is the only other Grade 1 in States, and with garages, and ACO talking heads have mentioned it before, so you know... Also they have the other two Grade 1 tracks in Canada and Mexico so they might just say "well we are still present in North America if we go there" or some shiz...

And if F1 is left without circuit, they'll either go to Indy too or hire Tilke to build another asphaltdrome in the middle of nowhere in Alabama or something. Which is where WEC would inevitably switch then too.

I would love Road America but I don't believe in it any more than I believe in seeing P1s at PLM and Sebring again.

Last edited by Deleted; 8 Aug 2015 at 22:51.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:51 (Ref:3564681)   #7017
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Said tweet from Pruett https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/s...87474736336896
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3564684)   #7018
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
COTA giving up? This is fantastic news! Also might force the ACO to reconsider it's "requirements" if they want to be in US.

But let's be honest Indy Roval is the only other Grade 1 in States, and with garages, and ACO talking heads have mentioned it before, so you know... Also they have the other two Grade 1 tracks in Canada and Mexico so they might just say "well we are still present in North America if we go there" or some shiz...

And if F1 is left without circuit, they'll either go to Indy too or hire Tilke to build another asphaltdrome in the middle of nowhere in Alabama or something. Which is where WEC would inevitably switch then too.

I would love Road America but I don't believe in it any more than I believe in seeing P1s at PLM and Sebring again.
Why do you believe that it is ACO who decides the venues?
To my understanding, it is far more possible that it is FIA, as they are doing the grading, and we saw LMP's race at Road America and Sebring before FIA joined.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3564686)   #7019
Deleted
Veteran

If I had said FIA deggis would've slated me for blaming FIA for everything

But I don't disagree with you. It's probably more FIA than ACO. Whatever, it's the same unit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think if this somehow were to actually magically happen, it would become my second favorite race in the world.

And Road America isn't even in my top 5 NA tracks, so it'd mean a lot

Last edited by Deleted; 8 Aug 2015 at 23:09.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3564687)   #7020
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A wec race at Road America would be the best race in N.A. imo. I'd be ecstatic to see lmp1's back there. I wonder if theyd be close to Indycar in terms of lap time.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 23:31 (Ref:3564690)   #7021
Deleted
Veteran

They'd surely demolish them, the Dallaras might have been able to easily outpace the second hand P1 Lolas and HPDs in the ALMS twilight days, and even earlier Audis and Porsche Spyders in some capacity, but the game has changed now
Old 8 Aug 2015, 23:38 (Ref:3564691)   #7022
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
COTA is likely,(90+%) to close it's doors to motorsport after the 2016 season. Last I heard today, and this hasn't been discussed in public, is that they can't afford sanctioning fees, and certain calendars for 2016 will not see a return of certain series, or the addition of COTA to schedules.

Buh-bye Lonestar LeMans, F1, and everything else.

A US round is guaranteed, the additional round will be either Montreal or Mexico. 9 rounds, possibly 10 maximum. (Sebring might be an addition in the distant future depending on GT regs/convergence.)
Old 9 Aug 2015, 01:40 (Ref:3564725)   #7023
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
COTA is likely,(90+%) to close it's doors to motorsport after the 2016 season. Last I heard today, and this hasn't been discussed in public, is that they can't afford sanctioning fees, and certain calendars for 2016 will not see a return of certain series, or the addition of COTA to schedules.

Buh-bye Lonestar LeMans, F1, and everything else.

A US round is guaranteed, the additional round will be either Montreal or Mexico. 9 rounds, possibly 10 maximum. (Sebring might be an addition in the distant future depending on GT regs/convergence.)
COTA also has property tax issues.

And the obvious questions: Where does this leave the Nurburgring, which also wants a WEC date? It, like Road America, works much better with an August date rather than April or October.

It COTA disappears and the WEC comes to Road America, would that continue to be a joint weekend with IMSA?

And what does IMSA add in place of COTA?
Old 9 Aug 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3564727)   #7024
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
COTA also has property tax issues.
They have many, many issues.

Quote:
And the obvious questions: Where does this leave the Nurburgring, which also wants a WEC date? It, like Road America, works much better with an August date rather than April or October.
That's an interesting question. I think we will see the WEC go to 10 rounds, Bahrain to get dumped, RA takes over COTA, and Montreal or Mexico get added.

Quote:
It COTA disappears and the WEC comes to Road America, would that continue to be a joint weekend with IMSA?
That's the desire.

Quote:
And what does IMSA add in place of COTA?
Portland? Montreal? Who knows... but, there are options.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 01:57 (Ref:3564730)   #7025
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
That's an interesting question. I think we will see the WEC go to 10 rounds, Bahrain to get dumped, RA takes over COTA, and Montreal or Mexico get added.
They can’t just dump Bahrain -- in fact, it’s probably the most stable date on the calender right now aside from Le Mans as the WEC has a contract through 2017.