Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jun 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2489829)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 2010 WTCC calendar is released

WTCC 2010 Calendar

A number of new names there, and as predicted, Zolder...

07 March Curitiba, Brazil
11 April Puebla, Mexico
16 May Marrakech, Morocco
30 May TBA
20 June Zolder, Belgium
04 July Algarve, Portugal
18 July Brands Hatch, Great Britain
01 August Brno, Czech Republic
05 September Oscersleben, Germany
19 September Valencia*, Spain
31 October Okayama, Japan
21 November Macau, Macau

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3637
Old 24 Jun 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2489840)   #2
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The TBA is expected to be revealed as one of the two Italian trakcs Imola or Misano.

But rumors has also pointed out the Malaysian track Sepang
The original list on FIA's site has it "30 May I TBA", so I believe it'll be in Italy, not in Malaysia.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2489850)   #3
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention that Malasia would be a bit out of the route. If there would be a round over there, it would be more logical to have it in oktober.
What does the asterix mean at the Valencia round?
Interesting news btw that Misano is also in the running, that Valencia is moved to the end of the season, and that the new track in the Algarve will be used instead of Estoril. And indeed a confirmation of races at Zolder and not at Pau.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2489905)   #4
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Malaysia does sound far off indeed, Imola or Misano sounds more likely, as has been reported and updated in our story.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2489912)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
It has even been confirmed by the WTCC organisation that it is an Italian round that is behind the TBA.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2489913)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Mugello would be my choice, love that track.

But dear lord I hope it isnt Sepang, hate that track.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2490011)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Valleunga? Not on the full length version though, touring cars don't run well on F1 tracks.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2490162)   #8
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Vallelunga is homologated for f1 tests, but it's a shortened version; actually, the last corner is tighter for F1s. I raced in Vallelunga with my touring car and it was fantastic. But I hope it's Imola, TBH I don't like Misano too much.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2490568)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a long circuit featuring a bit that was recently built, a medium one that is how it was prior to four or five years ago, and short one featuring the twisty bit at the end. One of the latter two would be better.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2490598)   #10
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame that Pau has been dropped
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2490644)   #11
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 'long' one is just over 4km. A very normal lenght for the WTCC.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2490646)   #12
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
get them back at Enna

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2490671)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
The 'long' one is just over 4km. A very normal lenght for the WTCC.
It might be a normal length for the WTCC, but in my opinion the WTCC goes to circuits that are too long anyway - 3km is about optimum IMO.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2490673)   #14
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
get them back at Enna
Yeah Enna and as replacement for Pau the Helsinki Thunder
Old 25 Jun 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2490729)   #15
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
The old Vallelunga does not exist anymore. There are grass, walls and gravel traps where the track used to be before. To be clearer, the old Trincea doesn't exist anymore. The very short one is ridicolous, it's just 6 corners long! The only suitable configuration of Vallelunga would be the one we use in national competitions. Maybe you're getting confused with the SBK track, which includes some kind of infield (where my teammate had to park his broken car), and it's in the new part of the track. Trust me, these are fresh infos, I've been racing there last October and I've been going every year to that track since I wasn't even born!
Pergusa (called abroad Enna, which is the town where the track is located) was great, but it's actually closed as no national series goes there. It's only used for some minor regional races, and I believe that once it was used for the Giro d'Italia as a part of a stage. The layout was great (it was Giovanardi's kingdom, he was just unbeatable down there) but there are very small hotels nearby, no restaurants, the paddock is too small and in general the place doesn't look too good. I remember when we were racing for the Italian Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Cup and the track was full of frogs, because it had rained and they'd all come out from the lake!
But the sicilians love motorsports so much, the would be glad if something happened. And I would be very happy, too!
Old 25 Jun 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2490758)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does the asterix next to Valencia mean that they may be running on the city course?

And yeah, Enna please
Old 25 Jun 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2490765)   #17
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
does the asterix next to Valencia mean that they may be running on the city course?

And yeah, Enna please
No, it means that it needs approval. They're probably changing something in the layout or in the safety (eg gravel traps).
Old 26 Jun 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2490930)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
30 May TBA
Initially this date was reserved for a Russian race?
Old 26 Jun 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2490986)   #19
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
I don't have any doubt that the track in Valencia will be just fine in terms of safety. What can you do wrong there?

I would like to see Enna return to. That track gave a lot of spectacle, with the cars almost jumping over the kerbstones. The fact that Giovanardi was good must have had something to do with the Alfa Romeo he drove. A strong engine and good aerodynamics are a must at Enna.
But I'm afraid you just can't organise a round for a world championship in the middle of nowwhere at a place that is even to small and old for national racing.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2490998)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
It might be a normal length for the WTCC, but in my opinion the WTCC goes to circuits that are too long anyway - 3km is about optimum IMO.
Why is 3km the optimum? As a spectator I can imagine, but as a TV-watcher (and after all, Eurosport has a strong influence in the series, and therefore cares mostly about tv-watchers) my favorite tracks would be Macaou, Spa, Bathurst, the Nordslchleife or Suzuka.

Here is an aereal picture of Vallelunga. I get the impression that it is made when the works were almost, but not completely finisched. From this picture it is clear to see that there are 3 versions: The very small one with the 180 degree corner just after the start, a medium one which shortcuts the new loop in the right side of the picture, and more or less is the old layout, and finally the complete one. I understand from Helterskelter that the medium-lenht layout is not available anymore? That seems odd to me, since there is, judging the color of the asphalt, a new chicane built in the route of the shortcut.

I think the full version of the vallelunga track is just fine. It has 2 fine overtakingspots, and is a good mixture of fast and slow sections. And it has that great fast righthander around that large hill!

It may be interesting to remember that the latest extention of this track, that loop at the right, was more or less specially built for the first (2005) revival of the etcc (as single event for participants of national championships) That etcc was te first race that used the extension. So clearly in the mind of the fia, the track with the extention is fine for S2000-cars.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2491139)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Wasn't the extention built for it to get a 1T licence? Donington National, Brands Hatch Indy and Knockhill are all pretty good touring car tracks less than 3.5km long.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2491163)   #22
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Here you can find the track section from Vallelunga's official website. Only two tracks lenghts are listed, so it seems like I was right. I don't know about the chicane you are talking about, and it actually does seem weird to me. But the only different layout from the one I've raced into is the SBK one, which includes another corner, the one right after the soratte that brings back to the old track. They probably didn't get the homologation, that's the only good reason I can come up with...
Anyway, the national s2000 series, the GTs and all the bigger cars (F! included) use the long version, which is the new one.
As for Giovanardi in Pergusa, he was much faster than his colleagues, Larini included. Surely the Alfa played a big part, but there were 2 particular corners in which he was just fantastic to watch, the Proserpina and the 'Schumacher'.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2492847)   #23
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
The 'Schumacher' is that crazy chicane, created by just putting a few kerbstones and tires inthe middle of a straight isn't it?
Old 28 Jun 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2492878)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Wasn't the extention built for it to get a 1T licence? Donington National, Brands Hatch Indy and Knockhill are all pretty good touring car tracks less than 3.5km long.
Knockhill is International Grade 3, only 2km Long.

Sounds Perfect to me

Oh just so long as they don't increase the cost of my season ticket if they do get it.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2492936)   #25
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
The 'Schumacher' is that crazy chicane, created by just putting a few kerbstones and tires inthe middle of a straight isn't it?
Exactly! All the drivers hated it, because it was so dangerous! Except during the summer, when everyone who was feeling a bit hot could make a mistake at that corner and immediately end up in the lake to take a refreshing bath