Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 20 Sep 2003, 23:06 (Ref:725271)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just bought a ??

OK It is a dream car, I now have mine (250LM excepting)

It is of a of a make that is still going but under very different ownership. Who would think that a pony and a cat would be in the same stable

The last letter of the first and letter of the type are the same

It has a 6 cyl engine with 2 seats, plus two small cushions and a hatch. Wire wheels and disc brakes on all wheels. Built in 1970.

Carpets and radio were extra but are fitted on mine, alas the factory fitted blonde is missing, if anyone has an intact original 1970 blonde........let me know, will settle for beige/brown/black with fsh and matching upholstery.

Coooooool baby

Guess you know now what I have spent upteen ££££'s on.

Simon
Old 21 Sep 2003, 11:45 (Ref:725547)   #2
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1970 Jaguar E-Type.

Last edited by RacerGuy2; 21 Sep 2003 at 11:46.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 21 Sep 2003, 13:30 (Ref:725588)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Series 2.

Excellent, enjoy...
Old 21 Sep 2003, 21:07 (Ref:725818)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooooh, yeah!
What colour is it?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 22:27 (Ref:725875)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hee hee - Simon, do you realise you almost described a 3-litre Capri? Just the bit about the hatch threw it!

But this certainly sounds like an E-Type 2+2, so it's going to have the 4.2 motor. Does it go like we all imagine it should?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 10:31 (Ref:726212)   #6
SL
Veteran

It is Maroon with black interior and most definatly a Jag E Type 2+2 with the 4.2 engine.

Picking it up hopefully Thursday. All pray for sunshine, please....

Simon
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:52 (Ref:726374)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any chance of a picture?

The XK engine is lovely.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:28 (Ref:726499)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I trust it will be taking you to Le Mans next summer?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:44 (Ref:726647)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is a must. Driving an E-Type down the N138! A definite must
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:07 (Ref:726680)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Bloody hell, Simon, nice one!! Hope you're gonna go a little easier on it than you did on the Nissan!!
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:44 (Ref:726748)   #11
SL
Veteran

Plan is for E Type to go to LM, of course.

There is a photo in this months Motor Sport P146 Oct 2003. Still have my Nissan as well, Jag is a second car, only for sunny days. The 200SX is just too good a car to get rid of.

Simon
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:59 (Ref:726775)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one Simon look forward to seeing it at Le Mans next year,
Old 22 Sep 2003, 18:37 (Ref:726831)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
*Turns to freshly purchased Motor Sport*

Veery nice! Good to see you got it from Runnymede - they're the guys who tried to sell me an Aston Martin a few years ago. They've got a good race prep department so I reckon you can trust a car that they're offering.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:50 (Ref:726923)   #14
SL
Veteran

Thanks everyone, look out for it at a circuit near you soon. Definate for LM and Goodwood 2004 anyway

I must admit I was impressed with Runnymede from the start. The cars they had there were very well presented, loads of Aston's as well, one day maybe. (Also same car in their ad in Nov 2001 issue, spot the differance !)

One thing that was very obvious is how much cars have changed in 20-30 years. Going from a '96 Nissan to a '70 E Type which has no A/C, no power steering, no fancy electrics, heater is by lever and cable, brakes that don't seem to work, 4 speed's etc. OK not every car has these now but in it's time the Jag was quite a luxury car.

However I liked opening the bonnet to see a real engine, with 3 huge carb's and a small oil leak . Not a sterile plastic sheathed compartment with port for a computer.

I'll get a few photo's hosted as soon as possible.

Simon
Old 22 Sep 2003, 22:38 (Ref:727125)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
p146. Very nice
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
One thing that was very obvious is how much cars have changed in 20-30 years. Going from a '96 Nissan to a '70 E Type which has no A/C, no power steering, no fancy electrics, heater is by lever and cable, brakes that don't seem to work, 4 speed's etc.
Proper motoring...
As for the brakes and 'box. Could be worse, would be a S1
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
However I liked opening the bonnet to see a real engine, with 3 huge carb's and a small oil leak [/B]
Proper.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:40 (Ref:727454)   #16
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also have described a Dino 246!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 11:50 (Ref:727598)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
However I liked opening the bonnet to see a real engine, with 3 huge carb's and a small oil leak
Don't worry it will soon be a very big one.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 19:11 (Ref:728019)   #18
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
As long as it dosn't start leaking like a British bike...
Old 23 Sep 2003, 20:16 (Ref:728079)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Worse than a British bike
Old 26 Sep 2003, 19:21 (Ref:731245)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had a look in Motor Sport today and I have to say Simon it looks a mighty fine car, can't wait to see it.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 08:35 (Ref:731592)   #21
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
speaking of leaks, was always fond of the term "Prince of Darkness" or something like that referring to the Lucas electrics...

may you enjoy it Mr.SL. The E-type was my childhood most favorite car, and as I have mentioned to some of you, I used to hang around at the British Car Garage across from my house in Ottawa and listen to the owner tune E-types etc by ear.

Just a few weeks ago, with my kids in the car, I spotted one parked near the house (fairly rare for Montreal) and stopped to show it to them and educate them on a still beautiful shaped automoble. Always liked the in-line six sound more than the twelves for some reason.

Tim, makes me think of Jenks telling of driving his to European races, cruising along at a 100 and getting 20mpg or something.

Look forward to pics.

Last edited by djb; 27 Sep 2003 at 08:37.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 18:08 (Ref:732004)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Have you got it?

What is it like?
Old 27 Sep 2003, 19:13 (Ref:732330)   #23
SL
Veteran

'Fraid I have not got it yet.

The garage put it though MOT and found the wheel bearings worn so they are replacing them. Probably ready now but I am away from home for a few days so I will pick it up when I get back - hopefully.

I'd rather they find the faults and correct them now, then I don't pay. There was a judder in the steering when I took it for a drive, they thought it was a steering bush, could have been the bearings though.

Simon
Old 28 Sep 2003, 03:18 (Ref:732551)   #24
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if it is the bearings, it could be a relatively expensive repair no? The fellow I work for has a VW Golf that was once stolen and found, and the steering column took a good wack when they broke off the ignition bits for the key. It always had a sort of "judder" afterwards and later down the road, he ended up having to replace the entire column as the bearings were knackered and for some reason the whole shebang had to be replaced-probably more of a modern "module" build mentality. Hope all and any whatsits and odd problems are dealt with by the dealer before as you mentioned.

You'll have to let us know how it sounds at 100 for Jenk's sake.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 03:21 (Ref:732552)   #25
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by SL
'Fraid I have not got it yet.

The garage put it though MOT and found the wheel bearings worn so they are replacing them. Probably ready now but I am away from home for a few days so I will pick it up when I get back - hopefully.

I'd rather they find the faults and correct them now, then I don't pay. There was a judder in the steering when I took it for a drive, they thought it was a steering bush, could have been the bearings though.

Simon
Could also be a loose steering rack.:confused: