Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Aug 2023, 20:11 (Ref:4173146)   #76
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A mix of touring car drivetrains have been in motorsport since almost day dot, to say only now that it “doesn’t work” in some way would be foolhardy.
But there has always, at least as long as I've been interested, measures to level the playing field such as the 4WD with Audi.
Old 17 Aug 2023, 20:39 (Ref:4173148)   #77
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
However it does seem like the way the rules have gone have dissuaded anyone else entering a RWD car, which is a pity. The series needs to have cars with different strengths and weaknesses, otherwise racing would get a bit too stagnant
Very much agreed. I also love RWD and it's great seeing the differences in handling. I particularly enjoyed seeing Sutton handling the Subaru in the wet and also one race (can't remember if it was the Infiniti or Subaru) where he was knocked into a slide so he immediately span the car a full 360 degrees and was able to continue!
Old 17 Aug 2023, 20:56 (Ref:4173150)   #78
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
But there has always, at least as long as I've been interested, measures to level the playing field such as the 4WD with Audi.
Yep, and in the past a simple weight penalty was enough to “balance” the cars, nothing more.
Old 17 Aug 2023, 22:16 (Ref:4173162)   #79
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yep, and in the past a simple weight penalty was enough to “balance” the cars, nothing more.
But it was always contentious. And the starts have become more critical over recent years, with pretty much spec cars with otherwise very close performance, gaining a couple of positions off the line is a much bigger advantage. Add in that there are now 3 starts a day compared to 1 or 2 in the 90s, and generally much shorter races, then it's understandable why achieving parity has become more complicated.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 08:58 (Ref:4173192)   #80
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The margins between cars have become so fine that any area where a single car performs better will become very obvious.

The Infiniti was an interesting one - it wasn't particularly quick over a lap, but it was very good at changing direction so in the hands of Sutton he was able to overtake easily.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 11:31 (Ref:4173206)   #81
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
The Infiniti was an interesting one - it wasn't particularly quick over a lap, but it was very good at changing direction so in the hands of Sutton he was able to overtake easily.
The Infiniti was a difficult car to judge because it was very driver-dependant. Perhaps because it was built around Sutton's driving style, it looked average at best with anyone else behind the wheel.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 12:28 (Ref:4173211)   #82
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
But it was always contentious. And the starts have become more critical over recent years, with pretty much spec cars with otherwise very close performance, gaining a couple of positions off the line is a much bigger advantage. Add in that there are now 3 starts a day compared to 1 or 2 in the 90s, and generally much shorter races, then it's understandable why achieving parity has become more complicated.
Contentious perhaps with AWD but the RWD / FWD always seemed to have good parity. With anything between a 25 and 50kg weight penalty. It seems that every facet of the RWD driving needs to be negated, yet nothing is done to address the balance the other way, in rainy races the RWD cars nearly always are worse, the RWD cars suffer poorer front tyre warm up, should they then be allowed to use front tyre warmers?
Old 18 Aug 2023, 15:00 (Ref:4173234)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
AWD was understandably banned. Thank goodness we still have RWD and FWD cars. Thing is I don't think it's necessarily the drivetrain that has an advantage, it's a combo of things that makes a car fast. So I don't think they need to balance things out. Although why don't they re-introduce inters to help RWD cars in the rain, it won't give them an advantage, just help them a little, as mixed conditions can be tougher for them. Don't think we need tyre warmers though, we've survived long enough without them
Old 19 Aug 2023, 20:27 (Ref:4173383)   #84
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The Infiniti was a difficult car to judge because it was very driver-dependant. Perhaps because it was built around Sutton's driving style, it looked average at best with anyone else behind the wheel.
Moffat seems to be getting similar results in the Civic as he did in the Infiniti - guess he might not be that quick.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 15:11 (Ref:4173474)   #85
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Or is it just Sutton? When did a team mate truely keep him honest over a season ? Maybe the GOAT?
Old 20 Aug 2023, 15:18 (Ref:4173475)   #86
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Or is it just Sutton? When did a team mate truely keep him honest over a season ?
It's an interesting comparison. In 2016 he was bettered by his teammate - 162pts to Cook's 175.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 15:45 (Ref:4173476)   #87
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or is it just Sutton? When did a team mate truely keep him honest over a season ? Maybe the GOAT?
I'd say 2016, although that is negated a little bit by it being Sutton's rookie season. Josh Cook outscored him (the only time a teammate has outscored Sutton over a season). Both had good days and bad days, although Sutton had the highest peak with his victory at Croft.

Plato in 2017 had some good weekends but didn't consistently match Sutton, 2018 was not a great year. The other Subarus were never really near the front. In 2019 Proctor struggled with the recalcitrant Subaru. Moffat had one really great weekend where he outscored Sutton (Croft 2021) and then was a little bit slower. Cammish and Rowbottom are (like Plato) really good drivers and have really kept Sutton honest on multiple occasions in qualifying and races, but haven't consistently kept him honest (yet... who knows what could happen for the rest of this year and 2024)
Old 20 Aug 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4173479)   #88
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's an interesting comparison. In 2016 he was bettered by his teammate - 162pts to Cook's 175.
Clutching at straws there. I think we all no what I meant. The fact is not a single team mate has matched him car for car once he got his feet under the table.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 18:03 (Ref:4173481)   #89
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Clutching at straws there. I think we all no what I meant. The fact is not a single team mate has matched him car for car once he got his feet under the table.
Not clutching at straws - I was backing up your point by highlighting that it only happened once!
Old 21 Aug 2023, 08:28 (Ref:4173538)   #90
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not clutching at straws - I was backing up your point by highlighting that it only happened once!
Appologies!
Old 21 Aug 2023, 08:41 (Ref:4173539)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Appologies!
Old 28 Aug 2023, 13:14 (Ref:4174380)   #92
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anymore gossip on the apparent new team that’s meant to be joining?
Old 28 Aug 2023, 13:50 (Ref:4174383)   #93
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Anymore gossip on the apparent new team that’s meant to be joining?

If you are referring to the fairly recent Motorbase announcement about building further Focus cars, I think that it was more that they would be willing to supply a new team if one wanted to join; not that there was already another team waiting in the wings.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 17:32 (Ref:4174413)   #94
Ant25
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If you are referring to the fairly recent Motorbase announcement about building further Focus cars, I think that it was more that they would be willing to supply a new team if one wanted to join; not that there was already another team waiting in the wings.
That’s right! That makes sense haha
Old 29 Aug 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4174490)   #95
Ant25
Racer

People seem to think team dynamics won’t make a return next season! What do you think?
Old 29 Aug 2023, 12:12 (Ref:4174497)   #96
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
People seem to think team dynamics won’t make a return next season! What do you think?
I wonder if for 2024 they’ll perhaps take the 3 Civics they made for BTC Racing and that are set-up for running the M-Sport/TOCA engine? Would Dudman sell them to Matt Neal or anyone else?
Old 29 Aug 2023, 12:15 (Ref:4174500)   #97
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
I wonder if for 2024 they’ll perhaps take the 3 Civics they made for BTC Racing and that are set-up for running the M-Sport/TOCA engine? Would Dudman sell them to Matt Neal or anyone else?
Hasn't all the equipment been sold?
Old 29 Aug 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4174502)   #98
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Think they still own the 2 cars and the NBE Honda engines one motorsport are using. So why not.

I think we'll see a few big changes in the paddock... either before the end of the season or just after.
Old 29 Aug 2023, 13:48 (Ref:4174509)   #99
Ant25
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Think they still own the 2 cars and the NBE Honda engines one motorsport are using. So why not.

I think we'll see a few big changes in the paddock... either before the end of the season or just after.
What changes do you think will happen?
Old 29 Aug 2023, 13:55 (Ref:4174511)   #100
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given Team Dynamics have sold some of their equipment I can't see them returning in their previous form.

I could imagine a scenario where Team Dynamics officially partner up with Team HARD, expanding on the work Neal and Plowman have done there this season.

2 cars could be run under the Dynamics umbrella using their expertise (something that could be attractive to a sponsor and be the draw for a big name like Huff to do a full season). HARD could then focus on running 4 cars and wouldn't be stretched as thin.

Unlikely to happen, but this is the BTCC!