Old 15 Dec 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1485003)   #1
im8457
Rookie

im8457 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RB2 pictures

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s111/st87116.htm

Nose looks like the RB1's
Waist is tight.
Notice the size of the front wishbone member!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1485009)   #2
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wow, now thats a sexy f1 car IMO. It looks very narrow though, But good nonetheless
Old 15 Dec 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1485013)   #3
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr. Newy has been busy hasn't he!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1485018)   #4
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tasty sidepods!

The STIG, Adrian Newey hasn't technically left Mclaren yet, but it does look a little like the MP4 - 20.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1485026)   #5
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last some originality in f1 design.

I suspect that the Red Bull on the Airbox is too heavy. It has crushed the area beneath it. The rear end of the car body now looks like an extra rear wing. What a shame the car still has those ugly chimneys. Are those really necessary & efficient?

May anyone of you explain to me which of the changes are attributable to the shift from a V10 to a V8 engine? I assume that the tight waist and side pods are the result of the lesser space required by the engine and its radiators but I know very little on the topic.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1485031)   #6
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look how tapered those sidepods are, the car looks like it has running boards!
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1485033)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
However they still have that horrid nose and front wing arrangement
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1485036)   #8
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It certainly looks very tight in the rear but I guess we'll get used to that as more cars better tailored to the smaller motors hit the track
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1485037)   #9
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The rear wing is very turbo renault, the curved lower wing plane, the chimneys look messy, i know its probably in the rules about a fixed foot print, but. won't that floor create more drag? just a thought
Old 15 Dec 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1485040)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like the top exiting exhausts have gone, I always thought they were a bit of a hazard when refuelling in pitstops.

I presume that the chimneys are to allow the exit of the air that goes over the radiators in the side pods in a way that doesn't effect the airflow over the rear end and wing of the car.

Interesting how in the second pic, it appears that there is bodywork extending vertically to the inside of the rear wheel over the top of the rear suspension. Is this new or have I simply not noticed such a detail before?

I have to agree with everyone else, it is a very good looking car
Old 15 Dec 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1485047)   #11
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lovely car, and the front nose section is lovely Monster IMO.

A beaut.

PAUL
Old 15 Dec 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1485051)   #12
im8457
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
The rear wing is very turbo renault, the curved lower wing plane, the chimneys look messy, i know its probably in the rules about a fixed foot print, but. won't that floor create more drag? just a thought
I would imagine that it would produce some drag but it might also help with down force since the diffuser sucks the air out from under the car creating a low pressure under the floor. Not sure I'm totally accurate on that, though.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1485090)   #13
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am a racing car designer and training to be a race engineer I do know the fundamentals of aerodynamics.

I raised the question because the MG EX.. LMP car had problems with drag and lift, because of the vast expanse of flat floor area, so Ive heard???

This sidepod treatment might have the same effect for RBR
Old 16 Dec 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1485092)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
That is a very nice looking race car...Nice livery just as is!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1485104)   #15
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
I am a racing car designer and training to be a race engineer I do know the fundamentals of aerodynamics.

I raised the question because the MG EX.. LMP car had problems with drag and lift, because of the vast expanse of flat floor area, so Ive heard???

This sidepod treatment might have the same effect for RBR
Am I correct that those side pods are similar to the Sauber C24? It was not really a success.

I wonder whether Ferrari are nervous as to whether this RBR will be faster than their 2006 baby.

It's always exciting to see a new car trying to guess whether it will be fast or not. I recall one of the Jaguar which, I found, looked fast and sexy but proved to be slow during the season.l
Old 16 Dec 2005, 02:38 (Ref:1485108)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why nervous? I really look forward to Red Bull Racing being strong. It would give the Ferrari works team a genuine push and give Ferrari a good measuring stick. It certainly makes a better sense than either Sauber and Prost. And of course, gives Ferrari feedback on the V8s and more mileage during this initial V8 stage.

The first car designed under Red Bull is a good effort in looks. But performance wise it will really be tested against strong competitors like Williams-Cosworth. I think RBR should set that as their initial goal for 2006.

Nothing exceptionally new on the car. It's compact rear thanks to the new engine is quite expected, and the car borrows cue from various teams. the current group did a good job it seem so far, and i would be interested to see how Newey's joining RB early next year would contribute over the year.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1485161)   #17
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I the only one who thinks those sidepods are hideously ugly...? *edit* from the side view, that is...
Old 16 Dec 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1485165)   #18
dasc04
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dasc04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Mr. Newy has been busy hasn't he!
Nothing to do with Newey. It's the hard work of the current Red Bull People!!!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1485215)   #19
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it !! Nice and tapered design although I'd like to see what a low nose would look like on it.

Those front wishbones look as if the have been designed with an aerodynamic effect in mind, I wonder if they help claw some downforce back ?

If the other cars are as narrow then that could help the overtaking issue as well as there will now be more track available at the corners for drivers to assert themselves on ...
Old 16 Dec 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1485246)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks those sidepods are hideously ugly...?
No, I don't think they look good, the worst aspect being the way the signwriting has been applied. Looks like someone's crushed the sidepod. I've noticed a similar thing on other cars this year.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1485301)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Why nervous? I really look forward to Red Bull Racing being strong. It would give the Ferrari works team a genuine push.
They practically gave Ferrari a push last year.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1485308)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That RB2 is quite hideous really.......bulky front end combined with hideously tapered sidepods.....hardly beautiful.

But, if it's fast, I'll let it go.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1485425)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss
?

If the other cars are as narrow then that could help the overtaking issue as well as there will now be more track available at the corners for drivers to assert themselves on ...
The car could possibly be shorter in wheelbase depending on fuel tank size,but narrower,i don't think so.It will be as wide as last years (2005) car.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1485588)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sauber was for me the most beautiful car of 2005 (until the mini-wing at least) and this one resembles it so it's good looking.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1485885)   #25
im8457
Rookie

More pics

http://www.f1grandprix.it/f12005/wal...5/RED_BULL_RB2