Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1744088)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we should arrange a 4x4 gathering in the middle of Cambridge next tuesday at 08:00am.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1744091)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I shall drive through Cambridge on my way to and from Mallory tomorrow
Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1744092)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

The above is only one argument of course but it shows that people must take time to assess the facts before running off at the keyboard.
Facts? It was my opinion. And above all a joke. Hence the smilie.

Quote:
Why would it be more unreliable than any other car? Also why would you think that a properly driven 4x4 will topple over? Like any vehicle you must drive it to suit the conditions.
I don't know why its is. But I remember looking at surveys once, and 4x4s were the most unreliable there is. My Dad had a land rover once, and it fell to bits all the time. A 4x4 would topple over more likely then a car. That makes it more dangerous. LOL? Like any vehicle you must drive it suit the conditions? LOL. Drive it in the country side then if you wish to go on about driving it to its conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
So I'm an idiot. On what evidence do you base unreliability and toppling over easier, easier than what?
Read what I said to peter.

Quote:
Oh and them kart racers, what are they about spending daddy's cash.
You're a real funny guy. The funnier thing is, I rarely see my Dad and I pay for karting myself.

Last edited by luke; 21 Oct 2006 at 13:16.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1744094)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Luke,

You told us "its true" concerning your opinion so naturally I had to assume it was a fact. I apologise for misunderstanding you.

However as a new driver you'll learn that cars are driven to the conditions, not location hence the countryside is just as suitable to a 2wd car as long as its driven to suit the conditions.

Likewise a well maintained vehicle, whatever its type, is no more likely to fall apart than any other.

Still if you read it once I'm sure you are correct in all of your assertions.

Anyway I drive a 4x4 cos it really gets up the nose of misinformed muppets. And I can afford it.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1744096)   #30
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Read what I said to peter.
I'm an idiot, I can't read.

Quote:
your a real funny guy. The funnier thing is, I rarely see my Dad and I pay for karting myself.
Did I say Luke the kart racer?
Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1744097)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1744127)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think the rounded off Lexus, BMW, Merc "luxury type are complete tosh. The worst is that heap of **** Porsche Cayenne.
Porsche Cayenne. My god, there is one of those at work. Every day i am tempted to run my locker key down the side, partly because it is driven by a kiss-arse man in a suit who constantly ****s on the workforce but mainly because it is a Cayenne. Why did they do it?

Quote:
However a good practical Jeep, Disco, Nissan etc. not only does the job they are safer for the occupants in an accident (yes there are figures that prove it) although some would differ. Hence using one for the school run is in fact meeting the needs of the nanny society we live in.
Yep, that was what I emant when I understood the reasons for owning one (the safety card). It is not true for all 4x4's of course, but I'd certainly prefer to be in one in the event of a hideous accident.

Actually, I was wracking the brain there (a rare occurrence) and thought of some other 4x4's I like. The Jeep Wrangler was always rather nice in my eyes (I know it was deemed rubbish, I don't care). The Range Rover is very nice to sit in and look at. Toyota Landcruiser is OK. Never liked the Disco though, it looks horrid from the side.

Quite what these cars are like to drive I wouldn't know of course. But I doubt people buy them for driving pleasure anyways.

All in, I don't think 4x4's will kill me or make me unduly angry, like anything else they have their annoyances, but big deal.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1744130)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Mine's Cherokee and a more comfortable car I've never owned.

You can't throw it round a corner like a sportscar but then it isn't built for that.

Of course the ultimate is the Landcruiser. The best for the tundra, pipeline spreads and the like, but surprisingly not so good on hills where the new Disco and the Jeep score best.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1744144)   #34
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have nothing against 4x4's but where I live there are loads of the bloody things, mainly driven by middle aged women who take up most of the road, never give way, can't park and don't give a stuff about anybody else on the road.

Driven properly by sensible people they are fine. I had to go out on a job in Wales a few months ago and was taken around my client in his new Cayenne. He knew I had done a bit of racing, so perhaps was showing off a bit, but he was ing dangerous. They might be safer in an accident but I wouldn't like to be hit by a pratt like him.

Unfortunately sensible 4x4 drivers (like those posting here: No offence Mode) suffer from the reputations of others.

PS the Cayenne was crap, more space in my Laguna

Last edited by Alan Raine; 21 Oct 2006 at 14:49.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1744148)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I have nothing against 4x4's but where I live there are loads of the bloody things, mainly driven by middle aged women who take up most of the road, never give way, can't park and don't give a stuff about anybody else on the road.

Agreed and I kmade that point earlier.

Quote:
I had to go out on a job in Wales a few months ago and was taken around my client in his new Cayenne. He knew I had done a bit of racing, so perhaps was showing off a bit, but he was ing dangerous. They might be safer in an accident but I wouldn't like to be hit by a pratt like him.
Hence the Cayenne. Any sensible person wouldn't be seen dead in one.

Quote:
PS the Cayenne was crap, more space in my Laguna
See above.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1744192)   #36
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you seriously found that funny then well no doubt you'll laugh at this:
Old 21 Oct 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1744204)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Have I missed something? What did you post Luke?
Old 21 Oct 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1744248)   #38
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Nothing wrong with running a 4x4 just as there is nothing wrong with running a Merc or Bimmer. Personal choice innit.

I always hire a 4x4 when I am on my travels as they're so comfortable when you're doing serious mileage. And they can swallow your baggage with space to spare. Oh, and if you do choose to go off road on the spur of the moment, well they're pretty good for that also.

If and when I replace my little car I will definately be looking at a 4x4.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1744307)   #39
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow!
So many stressed out posters and personal attacks (AND, I haven't even contibuted yet!)
More interestingly - All the mods seem to be getting wound up!
Where's the voice of reason?
Where's the man with the big stick?
Old 21 Oct 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1744308)   #40
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Wow!

More interestingly - All the mods seem to be getting wound up!
I think you've missed the bit about who is getting wound up
Old 21 Oct 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1744337)   #41
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
I always hire a 4x4 when I am on my travels as they're so comfortable when you're doing serious mileage. And they can swallow your baggage with space to spare.
Yeah they're a very handy tool when abroad too.
About 10 or 12 years ago we were in France during the winter and heading back to the car ferry it snowed. Well the French seem to grit their roads with sand not salt so it done bugger all. Hey presto a couple of lorries come to a standstill and the motorway is gridlocked. We weren't sitting there while our ferry came home without us so we simply took to the grass verge. For 4 miles.
If it wasn't for our Disco we'd probably still be there now.

Sorry if we passed you sitting there in your Fiat Panda with a broken heater but we had no more room what with all the cheap booze.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1744340)   #42
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
lol!

(Incidently, you can't do this in a Taurus! )
Old 22 Oct 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1744629)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Wow!
Where's the man with the big stick?
You called?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1744706)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Each to their own imo. I have nothing against 4x4's. Don't fancy having one, but doesn't mean that others shouldn't have one if they want.

A Subaru Imprezza turbo is a 4x4, and guzzles as much gas as a Land Rover etc etc, but they are not frowned upon.

I own an A6. 1.8 Turbo, not exactly fuel efficent and a big car, but ideal for Mini V's stuff (it has a huge boot), but as it's only 2 wheel drive it seems i'm ok, silly really.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1744862)   #45
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
When I drove back from Heathrow from my last holiday, at 10 at night, I was dazzled about 6 times on the M40.

Every time it was a 4x4 where the owner had not had the front lights set correctly. They were effectively on full beam.

I think the punishment for this should be castration and removal of 4x4 to a crusher. That'll learn 'em. If they don't know how to drive them, they should not be allowed.

And they make it more difficult for everyone else on the road. You can't see through them if you're in a proper car, not an ego extension.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1744881)   #46
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone who has a 4x4 and doesn't live in the country side is an idiot. lol its true. What's teh point in having one in the city or town? Some families may say; 'oh so my kids are safe'. LOL they are unreliable as it is, juicy and above all dangerous as they can topple over easier.

What a complete and utter load of cobblers.......
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1744886)   #47
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
When I drove back from Heathrow from my last holiday, at 10 at night, I was dazzled about 6 times on the M40.

Every time it was a 4x4 where the owner had not had the front lights set correctly. They were effectively on full beam.

I think the punishment for this should be castration and removal of 4x4 to a crusher. That'll learn 'em. If they don't know how to drive them, they should not be allowed.

And they make it more difficult for everyone else on the road. You can't see through them if you're in a proper car, not an ego extension.

And yet another....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1744887)   #48
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Should probably ban trucks and vans then, eh ensign? Try dropping back a bit and keeping your distance
Old 22 Oct 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1744941)   #49
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Should probably ban trucks and vans then, eh ensign? Try dropping back a bit and keeping your distance
How in the name of **** can I keep my distance from a car that's BEHIND me????? Drive at freaking 100+????
Old 22 Oct 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1744966)   #50
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
A Subaru Impreza turbo is a 4x4, and guzzles as much gas as a Land Rover etc etc, but they are not frowned upon..
That's not strictly true. If you were to drive full pelt all the time it might be, but then you'd lose your licence within a week and what good would an Impreza be to you then?

I get semi-respectable figures from mine, but reserve the full pelt stuff for special occasions.