Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Nov 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2992883)   #1126
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Table View Post
What about that Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid thingamabobber they were talking about at Planetlemans.com? 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
The Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid thingamabobber is not a LMP.
It was mentioned as a possible 56th entry, but never considered.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2992940)   #1127
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Mr. Goodwin sir, I stand corrected.

So its Toyota (with ORECA in the shadows).

Ever since i upgraded my internet connection I can listen to MWM now. And I say there's nothing more informative and fun to listen to.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2993106)   #1128
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Dagys has tweeted about another Japanese manufacturer being represented on the LMP1 grid at Le Mans in 2012 and its not Honda or Toyota.

Surely that can only be Mazda or Nissan? I have never heard of any interest from Mitsubishi or Suburu and who else is there?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2993112)   #1129
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Dagys has tweeted about another Japanese manufacturer being represented on the LMP1 grid at Le Mans in 2012 and its not Honda or Toyota.

Surely that can only be Mazda or Nissan? I have never heard of any interest from Mitsubishi or Suburu and who else is there?
Suzuki

A Nissan powered Pescarolo?
Or Dome!? (that would be a surprise!)
Old 29 Nov 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2993182)   #1130
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Mitsuoka perhaps?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2993213)   #1131
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Dyson Mazda
Old 29 Nov 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2993215)   #1132
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Dyson Mazda
Is this a guess or an fact? If it's a fact, my dad might just hope for three brands this year
Old 29 Nov 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2993216)   #1133
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fact inso far as Dyson have auto invites which they are considering taking up - nothing definite, but with the middle eastern money & renewed Japanese interest this is the best chance at getting a headline grabbing result (helping Mazda beat Toyota & Honda) Dyson are ever going to have

The drums are being banged by Dyson on this rather than the story being forced upon them
Old 30 Nov 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2993236)   #1134
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Fact inso far as Dyson have auto invites which they are considering taking up - nothing definite, but with the middle eastern money & renewed Japanese interest this is the best chance at getting a headline grabbing result (helping Mazda beat Toyota & Honda) Dyson are ever going to have

The drums are being banged by Dyson on this rather than the story being forced upon them
Actually, Mazda might be best off requesting that Dyson pulls the Mazda logos off the cars if they take them to Le Mans. Those cars were pathetic at best even compared to the Lola-Astons when they were running closer in regulations and that was even with Dyson having a pretty significant weight break. Even with the massive BoP that IMSA gave Dyson towards the end of the year, the Lola-Aston (which also received some restriction breaks, but not nearly as much as Dyson) still seemed to be faster in race trim. Granted, Aston seemed to give Cytosport parts from the Lucas parts bin the last few races. Add to that the likelihood of gentleman drivers and I'm not so sure how much positive publicity Mazda would get out of this venture. It's different in the ALMS where they will get favorable regs and much less competition.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2993237)   #1135
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
makes perfect sense I suppose, if Mr Al Masaood wants to take Oryx Racing there, there's an auto-invite awaiting him. With a bit of funding from maybe Mazda and the Dysons it might not be competitive for the overall but would make good sense and be a welcome addition.

Do Dyson have three chassis?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2993238)   #1136
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Well , Mazda should show a little more interest . Rebadging engines has been their game since 1992 . What do they expect ?

Perhaps if they want to be taken seriously , they should behave in a more serious manner .
Old 30 Nov 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2993253)   #1137
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , Mazda should show a little more interest . Rebadging engines has been their game since 1992 . What do they expect ?

Perhaps if they want to be taken seriously , they should behave in a more serious manner .
I don't think Mazda wants to be taken seriously. At least not by the race organizers. What they want are charity regulations. That propelled them to victory in 1991 and it has helped them since as well. Their success in the ALMS last year arguably was attributable to charity regulations as well as the better reliability of the AER badged fake MZR engine.

Is it possible that they will receive charity regulations from the ACO? I sense it to be less likely, but they could always push that the isobutanol rules are way off ala what the petrol runners say about diesel. Maybe they could get some charity from that. I don't see the ACO really buying into that though, but maybe they will to gain Mazda's favor.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 01:05 (Ref:2993259)   #1138
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
makes perfect sense I suppose, if Mr Al Masaood wants to take Oryx Racing there, there's an auto-invite awaiting him. With a bit of funding from maybe Mazda and the Dysons it might not be competitive for the overall but would make good sense and be a welcome addition.

Do Dyson have three chassis?
Ther is talk of Dyson getting new lolas for LM.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 01:06 (Ref:2993260)   #1139
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Actually, Mazda might be best off requesting that Dyson pulls the Mazda logos off the cars if they take them to Le Mans. Those cars were pathetic at best even compared to the Lola-Astons when they were running closer in regulations and that was even with Dyson having a pretty significant weight break. Even with the massive BoP that IMSA gave Dyson towards the end of the year, the Lola-Aston (which also received some restriction breaks, but not nearly as much as Dyson) still seemed to be faster in race trim. Granted, Aston seemed to give Cytosport parts from the Lucas parts bin the last few races. Add to that the likelihood of gentleman drivers and I'm not so sure how much positive publicity Mazda would get out of this venture. It's different in the ALMS where they will get favorable regs and much less competition.
Read the article. Dyson will be getting new cars if they go to Le Mans:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...g-lm24-effort/
Old 30 Nov 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2993263)   #1140
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge View Post
Read the article. Dyson will be getting new cars if they go to Le Mans:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...g-lm24-effort/
I know, but is that really going to solve Dyson's performance woes when running to ACO regs? If anything, it takes away their weight break. Granted, improved aero might make up for that, but we'll see. I'm interested to know what Dunlop has up their sleeves (if anything) in terms of wide front tires. But, anyway, even the finest chassis in the world won't make up for a lack of horsepower and I think that is where the problem lies. The MZR-R may have the horsepower, but I don't know if they can run the engine hard enough to make use of that horsepower without jeopardizing reliability.

Speaking of the chassis, are they "new" new chassis (freshly poured tubs) or are they converting their old chassis to /60 specs? Obviously they may have to buy a new chassis if they want to run 3 cars, but I don't know what definition of new we are using.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:15 (Ref:2993289)   #1141
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I know, but is that really going to solve Dyson's performance woes when running to ACO regs? If anything, it takes away their weight break. Granted, improved aero might make up for that, but we'll see. I'm interested to know what Dunlop has up their sleeves (if anything) in terms of wide front tires. But, anyway, even the finest chassis in the world won't make up for a lack of horsepower and I think that is where the problem lies. The MZR-R may have the horsepower, but I don't know if they can run the engine hard enough to make use of that horsepower without jeopardizing reliability.

Speaking of the chassis, are they "new" new chassis (freshly poured tubs) or are they converting their old chassis to /60 specs? Obviously they may have to buy a new chassis if they want to run 3 cars, but I don't know what definition of new we are using.
According to the article, they will likely be "Lola-B12/60" chassis. Those will be updated versions of the Lola-B10/60 chassis run by Rebellion Racing. Funny, both Toyota and Mazda using similar chassis.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 03:18 (Ref:2993290)   #1142
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...g-lmp2-return/
This might also be of interest, Level 5 Motorsports has commited to ALMS LMP2. They said that they chose the ALMS because the WEC doesn't have a driver's championship (yet?), and also because they're afraid of the logistics for a global racing series. They're also optimistic that the ALMS will see at least 2-3 other LMP2 cars (OAK Racing and a Radical SR9 were named).
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2993361)   #1143
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...g-lmp2-return/
This might also be of interest, Level 5 Motorsports has commited to ALMS LMP2. They said that they chose the ALMS because the WEC doesn't have a driver's championship (yet?), and also because they're afraid of the logistics for a global racing series. They're also optimistic that the ALMS will see at least 2-3 other LMP2 cars (OAK Racing and a Radical SR9 were named).
I see the same post now in four threads.... Level 5 has NOT committed as of yet, and your link does not say they have.

We shall see on the other entries.............. Hopefully they aren't smoke and Chicken Soup.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2993395)   #1144
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Well, entries for this year´s Le Mans will be very rare once the WEC entry list is announced, leaving just a couple of spots to be filled by ALMS/ELMS/others. Especially the ´adventurous´ gentlemen drivers - aka amateurs - will realize that a Le Mans-entry-only will be hard to get hold off and with some of these guys not being able to do the full WEC because of business obligations, Dyson (or other teams with auto entries) could be an opportunity to fulfill their lifetime dream.

Their auto entries isn´t hurting Dyson either when it comes to finding extra sponsorship, especially when they do commit to Le Mans (same probably with Pegasus), although it remains to be see what the extra value is for an American sponsor to invest in the Le Mans trip.

With the (possible) back-up from Mazda, could we perhaps see a tie-up between Dyson and Dempsey at Le Mans? Dyson´s Lolas are closed so Patrick would be allowed to race that car.

Related question: the auto entry is granted to a team in a certain class, does this have to be with the same car or can the team bring something completely different (say Audi instead of Lola)?
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2993433)   #1145
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Related question: the auto entry is granted to a team in a certain class, does this have to be with the same car or can the team bring something completely different (say Audi instead of Lola)?
I think officially they´re bound to a certain car but the ACO usually gives teams leeway when switching cars.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2993437)   #1146
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I think officially they´re bound to a certain car but the ACO usually gives teams leeway when switching cars.
Theoretically they're allowed to switch cars, just look at Audi and Peugeot accepting their auto invites but turning up with new cars this year. I think the only limitation is to stay in the same class that they get the invite for.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2993449)   #1147
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
About Honda:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ance-8898.html

Chassis will stay HPD but engines will be branded as Hondas. At least that's something.

But: "Here is the situation as it was communicated to us yesterday by Honda Performance Development. The only official commitment to date is:"

The optimist in me looks at those bolded words.

Last edited by deggis; 30 Nov 2011 at 12:14.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2993457)   #1148
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Chassis will stay HPD but engines will be branded as Hondas. At least that's something.

But: "Here is the situation as it was communicated to us yesterday by Honda Performance Development. The only official commitment to date is:"

The optimistic in me looks at those bolded words.
FWIW, the Strakka ARX-03a renderings have a big Honda logo on the nose. If I remember correctly, the Strakka and RML LMP2s had Honda logos on their cars as well, but not the Highcroft LMP1. I don't think the Level 5 ARX-01gs had Honda logos either. Well, if nothing else, maybe it won't be so hard to guess that Honda had a hand in these new cars than they did in 2010 or in 2011 on some of the cars.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2993498)   #1149
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
FWIW, the Strakka ARX-03a renderings have a big Honda logo on the nose. If I remember correctly, the Strakka and RML LMP2s had Honda logos on their cars as well, but not the Highcroft LMP1. I don't think the Level 5 ARX-01gs had Honda logos either. Well, if nothing else, maybe it won't be so hard to guess that Honda had a hand in these new cars than they did in 2010 or in 2011 on some of the cars.
The logo is no bigger then they were at Le Mans for Strakka.

Strakka Racing, HPD ARX-01d, LMP2 #42 by Niels.Breider, on Flickr
Old 1 Dec 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2993735)   #1150
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
The logo is no bigger then they were at Le Mans for Strakka.
Yes, and as far as I remember, the Strakka and RML cars (which also wore the Honda logo) were badged Hondas at times. At least the engine was. The Highcroft P1 was not. I don't know if the Level 5 ARX-01gs were ever referred to as Hondas, but I did find this tidbit on the HPD page about the HPD engines that were in Level 5's Lolas at the time:

Quote:
Two of those programs begin this weekend, as the 12 Hours of Sebring heralds the start of the American Le Mans Series and serves as the opening round of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup. Highcroft Racing, coming off back-to-back ALMS championships with HPD power, will debut the new HPD ARX-01e in LMP1; while Level 5 Motorsports unveils an ambitious program that sees the Wisconsin-based team field Honda-powered Lola LMP2 prototypes in both the ALMS and ILMC championships in 2011.
http://racing.honda.com/hpd/press-re...spx?id=5942-en