Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Aug 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1379106)   #1
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utterly pointless?

If there was ever a waste of resources that could be better directed elsewhere, this is it. The FIA should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it!
Old 10 Aug 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1379111)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FIA rubber-stamped it.

Surely as most of the resources for the set-up are coming from the Sheik, he can do as he pleases?

The series seems to be building a lot of momentum and support - and I for one am delighted we'll have racing to watch through the winter.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1379115)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a sheik's version of scalextric. but a rather interesting one
Old 10 Aug 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1379186)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bailey
If there was ever a waste of resources that could be better directed elsewhere, this is it.
Where do you suggest these 'resources' go to? If there was no A1 series, there would be no chassis order, no engine contract, no ticket sales etc. A1 will be boosting the motorsport economy by creating this series.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1379255)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If there was ever a waste of resources that could be better directed elsewhere, this is it. The FIA should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it!
I think you posted in the wrong forum. In this forum we talk about A1GP not about F1.

Old 10 Aug 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1379280)   #6
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point I'm making, in an oblique sort of fashion, is that too many contemporary racing series are born out of someone's desire to make a quick buck. The reason they are given house room is because the traditional formulae have been allowed to develop down (mostly) blind alleys, as illustrated by F1. The way forward is to fix the problem, not introduce a seies of ill-conceived "alternatives". As for where the resources could go; how about re-introducing a proper free-formula F2 where designers can develop their talent outside the fishbowl environment of F1. Who knows, we might even see the return of innovation and a proper meaning to the expression "radical". For those of you brought up on a diet of recent F1, "radical" does not mean a new variation on the sponsors colour scheme, but a free-thinking interpretation of the technical regulations. Of course, this would be frowned upon in the modern world. Colin Chapman must be turning in his grave.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1379289)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which has nothing to do with A1GP.

If you don't like it, don't watch it - but there's no need to **** on its doorstep without giving it a chance.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1379340)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A1 GP should be fantastic, can't see how anyone can complain about it really.

It's got off the ground for a start, unlike certain other proposed series (cough, Premier GP, cough). It will fill the Winter void, easing the workload on my old GP tapes. No, I can't think of any reason to get upset.

May I suggest anger management courses Chris? They work wonders.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1379358)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
At least A1GP is taking another route (races outside normal season, country teams).
Old 10 Aug 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1379428)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1 GP should IMO be a huge sucess and will give me and millions of others around the world something to watch during the winter months. I admit I was at first skeptical of A1 GP but the Sheik has so far lived up to his promises therefore I see no reason to slag off him or his series. If the series starts and is a complete waste of time and money then fair enough, slag it off. Although if the series is sucessful and provides good close racing, as I beleive it will then im all for it.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 02:10 (Ref:1379522)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the idea of it, sort of a world cup or olympic type series. It will not replace champcar or F1, but would make a nice supplement to it.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1379554)   #12
macaroon
Rookie

macaroon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to use tennis terminology - F1 will be like Wimbledon, while A1 will be the davis cup !
Old 11 Aug 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1379555)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The way forward is to fix the problem, not introduce a seies of ill-conceived "alternatives". As for where the resources could go; how about re-introducing a proper free-formula F2 where designers can develop their talent outside the fishbowl environment of F1.
Wouldn't work.

- A series like that would probably end up to race during the same months as most other European racing series.
- A series like that would probably have mainly (or only) teams from the traditional racing countries.

So neither problem would be fixed by having a series like the one you are proposing.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1379744)   #14
chris bailey
Racer

Touched a few nerves here! I accept what you all say, but stick with my opinion. If, after the winter, it's been a roaring success, I'm quite prepared to eat humble pie over the whole thing. As for anger management, I'm not angry, really, I'm not! Pleasant thoughts and good karma all round.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1379782)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
hehehe....ah well.....

I look forward to serving up that humble pie.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1379946)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Touched a few nerves here! I accept what you all say, but stick with my opinion. If, after the winter, it's been a roaring success, I'm quite prepared to eat humble pie over the whole thing. As for anger management, I'm not angry, really, I'm not! Pleasant thoughts and good karma all round.
Notting wrong with different opinions.

I think a F2 championship with different cars and engines would be to expensive. But I have to admit in LMP2 it works, there are different cars (Lola, Courage, Lucchini) and engines (AER, Judd, Zytek). But in that class besides speed also reliability is an important factor. But I agree with you there are too many single seater championships (GP2, World Series, Italian F3000) which have in general the same format.

In a few years we will know if A1GP will be a success.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1380132)   #17
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that at the least it has given an opportunity to race this year to both Robbie Kerr and Alex Lloyd who were really both all washed up due to the usual money problems. I personally think it adds a new twist to the racing scene and that it will hit the spot.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1420210)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Just thought I'd revive this thread to stick my tongue out.

There, I did it.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1420247)   #19
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair points Chris but Im really excited about this A1 series. Time will tell if its here to stay, but I think its great that someone's finally got the balls to challenge F1 which has always been seen as the pinnacle of motorsport, and what every driver aspires to be as a kid. Fair play to the Sheik I say.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1420262)   #20
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, you finished eating your words yet!!

Jump, It had never set out to Challenge F1, thats why it runs mostly in the off season.

From What I see at Brands it has to succeed, the cars look great, they wear real tyres and have no driver aids, F1 is going to have to buck it's ideas up!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1420266)   #21
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
Chris, you finished eating your words yet!!

Jump, It had never set out to Challenge F1, thats why it runs mostly in the off season.

From What I see at Brands it has to succeed, the cars look great, they wear real tyres and have no driver aids, F1 is going to have to buck it's ideas up!
Correct, it is not setting out to challenge F1. Where we all win is the fact it will introduce countries with little motor sport heritage to the sport. But we are looking at it from a UK perspective. The whole of Spain is watching F1 at the moment, then you have the Kimi fans, the Colombians etc. F1 is far from dying and A1-GP means little there, same here if Button was actually winning.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1420270)   #22
jump
Rookie

England
West London
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
Yep I know, what I mean is in terms of exposure and marketing, as well as just the racing. If you know what I mean... People who don't follow motor sport know about A1.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1420616)   #23
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hmmmm, well it ain't over yet, but I think I'll dig out my humble pie recipe anyway - like all good pies, you need to marinade the contents for a little while to get the best flavour....
Old 1 Oct 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1421593)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a great football fan, but it was interesting to see what was then the World Cup, the FA Cup, and what was then the League Cup. I don't recall anyone saying they were pointless. Nor the Scottish League, nor League Division 3, etc. Many categories in many countries, giving fans from all over the place a chance to watch, and in the case of the World Cup, their countries perform.

The self-styled (or whoever styled it) World Cup of Motorsport seems pretty accurate to me, and I can't see how it impinges on F1 or Champ Cars or anything else. It's the World Cup, on as near to a level pitch as you can get.

Playing in the off season is perfect. Bringing national pride into the picture is great, and - looking at the partisan crowd at Brands - is working. Bringing business-to-business opportunities in hitherto untapped countries is also terrific. Not being about manufacturers, like F1, F3 etc where the teams are absolutely crucial, is also great for a spectacle. It has so many new ingredients, I fail utterly to see how it can be deemed pointless, when it is clearly a concept waiting to happen, and having someone like Maktoum recognise this, being sufficiently well-funded to make it happen, and driving it forward ... well, I can't see it becoming other than an established and unique part in the motorsport calendar.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1421698)   #25
jump
Rookie

England
West London
I'll second that, well said.