Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 29 Jan 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2381894)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GP2 Asia, Qatar - Weekend thread!!

Although Autosport is quoted as suggesting this is off it seems there will be a race.

http://iloveqatar.net/forum/read.php?27,5688

Apologies for posting a link to another forum but its unlikely to be published anywhere eklse and I don't think this one competes with 10/10s.

Anyway if anyone is coming, bring warm clothes because its pretty damn cold here at night. Why a night race anyway? Beats me.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2381925)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
night race - that will be a good spectacle...
Old 29 Jan 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2381938)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GP2 website is counting down to the date, so seems that it’s all going to happen as planned. Bit miffed that I won’t see these cars at Dubai – but probably good for the series to expand onto different tracks. Hope that some sort of crowd turns up. Will they??

Peter - I was contemplating making the short trip, but the date clashes with some horrendous running event that I foolishly committed to..
Old 29 Jan 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2382135)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll probably go but I'm mindful that I have to get up at 4am to be at work by 6:30 the next day! Can't for the life of me understand the decision other than, "we've got the lights so we must use them."
Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2382288)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
test run for a potential f1 race perhaps?
Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2382293)   #6
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be pretty interested to see this race. The Losail facility has mostly been used for Motorcycle events - barring the GP Legends event, where the feedback was that the track layout was too motorcycle-orientated and difficult to pass on. It'll be interesting to see how the GP2 cars perform on it.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2382321)   #7
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I'll probably go but I'm mindful that I have to get up at 4am to be at work by 6:30 the next day! Can't for the life of me understand the decision other than, "we've got the lights so we must use them."
That and the cooler tempratures will mean more people will turn up.

In theory......
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Jan 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2382534)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Cooler? It'll be colder than Silverstone on a rainy day in April!

Replacement for Donington perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
test run for a potential f1 race perhaps?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 30 Jan 2009 at 08:45. Reason: talking to myself.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2382760)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre temps have always been an issue in this series. Will be interesting to see if it goes ok..

F1 in Qatar.. can't see it.. yet...

Last edited by Dan Friel; 30 Jan 2009 at 17:52.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2383555)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I believe there are moves afoot to re shape the track.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2383662)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think the problem with overtaking at the GP Masters event was more down to the cars than the circuit. It's a lovely track and the guys there are very friendly.

I was under the impression the GP2 race was back in Dubai at the end of February? I'm going over on the 24th to marshals at Dubai so I guess I will find out then lol
Old 1 Feb 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2383716)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Hi Stephen,

The second Dubai Gp2 round (end of Feb) has been replaced by the Qatar event. The Dubai race weekend is still on, but only Speedcar and local series now.

Dan
Old 1 Feb 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2383722)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
But the local series includes those V8s doesn't it?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2386595)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there's a series using Commodores, IIRC it supported the Bahrain GP.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2386601)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Will you be there for that one Peter?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2386612)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I think there's a series using Commodores, IIRC it supported the Bahrain GP.
I don't believe the Lumina Cup is running this year. Seen nothing about it in the media, and it's not been at any of the events I've attended..
Old 2 Feb 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2386626)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's a shame they look pretty good fun.

Stephen. No I'm in the UK for my race medical that weekend.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2396738)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ok as Peter started a thread related to this weekend it may as well stay as the general discussion for the weekend.

Anyone got any news on free practice or qualifying yet then?

I see Eurosport aren't showing it live. Highlights on E2 at 10.30 pm tonight damn it!!!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2396754)   #19
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LIVE LIVE LIVE LIVE LIVE LIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Ok as Peter started a thread related to this weekend it may as well stay as the general discussion for the weekend.

Anyone got any news on free practice or qualifying yet then?

I see Eurosport aren't showing it live. Highlights on E2 at 10.30 pm tonight damn it!!!
Race 1 live - that's LIVE !!! - on Eurosport 2 today - FRIDAY - at 1600 GMT

Race 2 now not live but tape-delayed at 1700GMT on Saturday 14th for all you young lovers out there...
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2396756)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's if the sandstorms don't stop it! I wasn't too enamoured with the night racing thing cos it's bloody freezing, but the sand too, has just put me off any idea of attendance.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2396764)   #21
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparenjtly it went down well with the Moto GP types last year, even if it made Anglesey on a wet wednesday seem warm...

lights worked well and tyres not TOO much of a problem...
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2396765)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That was in March not Feb.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2396773)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Great, thanks for update Martin, without your news the listings may not have changed so many of us will have missed out.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2396803)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Martin, will you be in Dubai for the speedcar weekend?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2396842)   #25
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Martin, will you be in Dubai for the speedcar weekend?
That's a big fat negatory, good buddy...