Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 18 Oct 2013, 05:34 (Ref:3319303)   #226
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hought they would have gone for a longer season, or is the Firm going to run the internationals. So where do you go or who do you bring in?
Will this give the US sportsfans and alternative to NASCAR ?
I would have opted for a race every 5 weeks, Start in late Feb and finish in October/ November

Compact season,good point less time away from family , downfall , its a long time from August to March the following year.

Other option, have a few flyaways, like years ago in Australia (60's-70's ) we had the Tasman Series where the top drivers would come out and race open wheelers over summer down under whilst the north put up with winter.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3319349)   #227
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many street circuits. Cut the double-headers on street circuits and do them on proper road courses.... If any road courses would be willing to host a IndyCar two-fer.[/QUOTE]

What is a 'proper' road circuit? I din'nt think there were any in the USAI always understood that to be one on closed public roads eg; Bathurst;Reims ,Rouen ,Le Mans,etc? Street circuits are in city centres,artificial circuits with left & right hand bends are 'Autodromes'
Old 18 Oct 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3319380)   #228
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
As long as they are consolidating the races that they have then I'm happy enough. 18 individual races is an adequate number. I know we'd all like a 'surprise' so we can look forward to something new for 2014 and we feel let down knowing there [save that Indy thing] isn't one but is a 'surprise' really neccesary? No. Most of the tracks delivered fair racing this year. It makes sense to consolidate rather than to gamble on what might turn out to be a dud. They can be braver when the financial situation is stronger.

There's no attendance issues with the street tracks which is why they favour street events generally but it's tough to reserve space in a commuter area so they are maximising the space used in the time that they have. This is less of an issue with permanent roadcourses.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3319388)   #229
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
What is a 'proper' road circuit? I din'nt think there were any in the USAI always understood that to be one on closed public roads eg; Bathurst;Reims ,Rouen ,Le Mans,etc? Street circuits are in city centres,artificial circuits with left & right hand bends are 'Autodromes'
A street circuit is a circuit on... well.. streets or other public thoroughfares such as a parking lot. Closed to public, of course.
A road course is what you consider an "autodrome". It's a purpose-built facility with left and right turns.

Now quit being a cheeky monkey and learn to speak 'Murican.
Old 18 Oct 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3319435)   #230
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally don't like the double header events. Watching two 3-4 hour races over the same weekend is too much of time commitment IMHO. Also, consider weeks when IndyCar clashes with F1, ALMS, etc. So double headers won't really increase TV viewership, but I guess it's cheaper to race both days of the same weekend and call that "two races". I still consider the double headers "a single race or gp"..
Old 18 Oct 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3319456)   #231
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Watching two 3-4 hour races over the same weekend is too much of time commitment IMHO.
Each race is usually under 2 hours in length.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3319809)   #232
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Iowa to add 50 more laps to next years race.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/10/...Iowa-Corn-race
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3319811)   #233
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ABC Supply Co. to sponsor Milwaukee mile in 2014 and 15. The race is also moving from June to August.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/10/...aukee-IndyFest
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3319820)   #234
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm curious about so many races getting longer: Texas, Fontana, Pocono, now Iowa. Plus the doubleheader races.
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3319825)   #235
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'm curious about so many races getting longer: Texas, Fontana, Pocono, now Iowa. Plus the doubleheader races.
Shorter season, longer races.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3320570)   #236
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
And what are they supposed to do for the rest of the year? I can see a lot of these people trying to get jobs in NASCAR, for example, which will hit the smaller IndyCar teams.

There's been nothing about this interbational season since it was 'mentioned'.
Pretty much it's already like that in regards to Nascar. Inexperienced people get their start in the irl and once they get experience, off they go to a full time job in Nascar.

Most of the staff these days at teams is young and inexperienced or crusty old hands semi retired that don't want to move. You are less likely to find year round professionals at these teams, although each team has some.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3320572)   #237
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Thats where the proposed international season would come into play.

The alternative I guess would be to put staff on 8month contracts
A lot of the staff are already 1099 contractors or PTOC's(part time on call). They know when they get hired what the deal is.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 16:20 (Ref:3320576)   #238
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
This schedule sucks for a number of reasons.

The compactness will make people forget about IndyCar. Unless Mark Miles announces his International Series soon, teams are going to have some very difficult human resource decisions to make.
Never mind that race fans will completely forget about IndyCar between August and March.

The compact schedule is going to be hell on the teams, although the schedule has been modified to make the travel requirements a little more workable. It's still a grind for them.
I think it's gruesome and smacks of desperation rather than a growing sport.

For one thing a lot of these teams are on a financial edge. Cars in these series get smacked up all the time and I think it will be tough to keep going in such a hard slog weekend to weekend.

I guess they have designs on being a barnstorming international series in the winter, like A1GP and Super League. Both of those series had mixed success with such a business plan.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3320695)   #239
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Toronto, the maybe-yes-maybe-no conflict between ALMS (now TUSCC) and IndyCar weekends is even worse than ever... TUSCC at Mosport one weekend, IndyCar in Toronto the next. I'll go to both, but I'm fairly sure that this is going to polarize fans who don't want to shell out $ two weekends in a row.

That said, not sure quite how much crossover there is between these two series, but it can't possibly help either having them this close together. 2013 they were on subsequent weekends too, but in previous years they've been separated by a couple of weeks.

2015, of course, seems totally up in the air (off to the 2015 season thread for that discussion I guess).
Old 21 Oct 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3320767)   #240
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The only good thing I can see in the 2014 schedule is a not too bad a mix of tracks, though I would have liked to see more road courses than street courses. However. 18 races in 15 weeks, is going to be asking the smaller teams a lot.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3320942)   #241
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Each race is usually under 2 hours in length.
Dream on.. That's the rule in F1.. IndyCar races go on as long as they need to. It's more than 2 hours on average. Also add the pre-race and post-race show.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3320944)   #242
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The only good thing I can see in the 2014 schedule is a not too bad a mix of tracks, though I would have liked to see more road courses than street courses. However. 18 races in 15 weeks, is going to be asking the smaller teams a lot.

The schedule looks pretty much like the current one, except for some races being shuffled around. It's kind of sad that all races outside of North America are finally gone from the calendar. This sort of kills the remaining traces of international credibility/popularity of IndyCar. Oh well. In future, they need to make more use of great race tracks in North America, both the road courses and ovals.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3320977)   #243
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I have already commented extensively on the 2014 IndyCar schedule, I try to not repeat myself again here.

I read somewhere there still were ongoing negotiations for a return of the Brazilian race. With the Sao Paulo street race gone, we can always hope for Interlagos. If that were to take place, it would be quite amazing, I'd say.

The double-headers this year have shown that if you have a good car in the 1st race, you will most likely also have one in the 2nd. Thus with regard to fairness, there should not be those double-headers in the schedule.

The 2014-15 offseason will take over half a year. It remains to be seen how many fans will return after that. Only some non-championship races in the fall, like a return to Surfers Paradise, could help bridge the gap.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3323235)   #244
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
V8 Supercars says it is unlikely the streets of Surfers Paradise will see a return of the American IndyCar championship.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3323319)   #245
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Since I have already commented extensively on the 2014 IndyCar schedule, I try to not repeat myself again here.

I read somewhere there still were ongoing negotiations for a return of the Brazilian race. With the Sao Paulo street race gone, we can always hope for Interlagos. If that were to take place, it would be quite amazing, I'd say.

The double-headers this year have shown that if you have a good car in the 1st race, you will most likely also have one in the 2nd. Thus with regard to fairness, there should not be those double-headers in the schedule.

The 2014-15 offseason will take over half a year. It remains to be seen how many fans will return after that. Only some non-championship races in the fall, like a return to Surfers Paradise, could help bridge the gap.
Bernie would never let IndyCar race at Interlagos.
Old 26 Oct 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3323320)   #246
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Pocono 500 back.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110876
Old 26 Oct 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3323330)   #247
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not overly impressed with the schedule, but its not going to change so I am not going to whine any more about it.

I am also done with my angst against IMS and Indy Car for what they did to Randy Bernard last year.

Face it. The racing is good. Most of the drivers are good. The cars - at least to me - look and sound nice. If the product on track is good, I will be interested in going.

So. Having said that. I still think the management at IMS are boobs. I think a six month on - six month off schedule is absolutely insane. I am not sold on the Indy road course at all. I also detest most of the street races, especially the absolutely cruddy ones at Toronto and Houston, and to have double-headers at those two while Mid-Ohio and Barber have single events and places like Road America are forsaken borders on criminal.

I see three races next year which I have an interest in attending that are feasible for me to get to. Detroit, Mid-Ohio and Pocono. That's it. I will get to one and maybe even two.

One nice thing is the Pocono race now at 500 miles. Very cool.