Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Aug 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1380583)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Your Petrol/Gas Prices Going Through The Roof Too?

Petrol just hit NZ$1.44 a litre here,(UK .56p/litre or US$1.01).Diesels around NZ .98c a litre.The gas companies screwing you at your pumps too?
Old 12 Aug 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1380585)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but an inevitability of rising oil prices.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1380591)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bargain! I was shocked to see I was buying petrol at 99.9p/litre a couple of days ago. It was super and it was at a motorway service station (I don't normally buy it on the motorway). Irrespective of the reasons behind this when I read the price I released the trigger and after a quick calculation of whether I could get home on what I'd put in I decided to not fill right up.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1380668)   #4
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rising petrol prices and traffic volume have persuaded me to start cycling to work. I feel a lot better for it, i'm saving a fair bit of money and i'm starting to enjoy my driving more as i only venture out in the car when the roads aren't busy. It just goes to show that you can be a petrol head AND ride a bicycle.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1380701)   #5
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, they've been going up but when compared to international prices petrol is still very cheap. About U$2.40 for a gallon of regular (that is about 61 cents per liter). No surprise that fuel is still very cheap as we are still producers and don't have to import a drop. But supplies are running out fast.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1380848)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

See existing thread HERE . Currency and US-metric conversion links are shown in various posts.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1381070)   #7
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I paid $2.24/gallon U.S. for it yesterday. I don't worry about it too much. I got a Ford Excort that pulls around 30 mpg so it doesn't cost a ton for me to drive anyway. There isn't a whole lot any one can do about it when politicians, oil companies, and wall street speculators want to make money off you. The sad thing is that there are no real alternatives to petroleum as a automotive fuel and 10-15 years from now we will be in major trouble when the oil is gone. I have a feeling that "Mad Max" may not be too far of a stretch from what we will be experiencing then unless we figure something out. Who knows, but it probably will not be fun to find out.

J.D.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1381196)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i filled up at 1.10 euros a litre for diesel last weekend on sunday, which seems to be about the general going rate in europe. generally it's 93p a litre at tescos northampton north.

my mum puts that optimax trout in her car, and she whines about it costing her a quid a litre (she runs a 4.6 litre v8 3 series). i told her to get a diesel like mine and do 60mpg, strangely enough she told me where to stick it

the prices haven't made a difference to how much i use my car. for basic stuff i might walk to morrisons (yuck, but a 3 minute walk) rather than drive to tescos (about a 5 minute drive, but much better), but generally if i use the car for longer journeys it's because i have to. it still works out cheaper than flying to the continent and hiring a car over there for example.

that's a point. surely we shouldn't be worrying about charging the pants off the car users, we start developing an alternative plane fuel, quickstep?
Old 13 Aug 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1381309)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About A$1.15 per litre in my part of the world

it's persuading me to buy a 3cyl Daihatsu Charade for work, and have my 6cyl turbo play car for weekends/fun

A new fuel has to be made...something like methanol would be ideal IMO, Man-made, cool burning/resistance to pinging.

Hybrids are not the answer, as they will always need petrol for them, seem pretty useless to me, other than just reducing your fuel bill, not a long-term solution.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 14 Aug 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1381985)   #10
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes fuel prices truely suck its about 90p a litre here in hungerford it was 85p a litre saved me loads loads filling uo down there
Old 17 Aug 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1384174)   #11
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Petrol just hit NZ$1.44 a litre here,(UK .56p/litre or US$1.01).Diesels around NZ .98c a litre.The gas companies screwing you at your pumps too?
NZ$1.44 a litre is a bargin... the following are from Tampere, Finland about 2-3 weeks ago when I was there.

95 Octane = 1.299 EURO (NZD 2.32)
98 Octane = 1.324 EURO (NZD 2.36),
Diesel = 0.999 EURO (NZD 1.78)
Old 17 Aug 2005, 04:22 (Ref:1384258)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
here in Montreal it has reached new highs, $1.15/litre, that about $1US/gallon, Our gallon here in Canada is 4.55 litres (Yanks' are 3.8litres, daft isn't it, different gallons in the same landmass)

so in the UK, petrol is almost twice as expensive as here, and we are about twice as expensive as the US I think.

CAN $1,15/litre=.96US/litre=US 3.65/USgallon
=.53quid/litre
=.78Euros/litre

and as for Bella's mother putting trout into her car, here we generally use mackerel as trout is just too dear...
Old 26 Aug 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1391878)   #13
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
I think the gas prices are really starting to affect me (either that or the alternative energy course I'm taking). I had a nightmare last night where prices jumped to $9/gallon U.S. I couldn't fall back asleep for a while after that one.

J.D.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1391920)   #14
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ho hum. Using petrol is a privilege not a right and one we are all (quite rightly) paying a lot of money for. Like your investments the price may go down as well as up, although the overall trend is likely to be up (until there's none left).

Methanol appears to be a good solution, but combustion produces formaldehyde and acetic acid which are suspected carcinogens and is not really as nice as it sounds. Producing it in sufficient quantities may not be trivial.

Of course, the good old diesel engine will run on just about any oil (peanut, olive etc.) so that may be a way out...
Old 26 Aug 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1392171)   #15
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super95 is at least €1.360/l here at the moment
Old 27 Aug 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1392270)   #16
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
paid $1.22/litre Canadian last night when filling up the borrowed bike with 94 octane stuff (highest around and hard to find)
Old 8 Sep 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1401882)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Over here in Australia, it is about AUS$1.40/litre. But if a normal person fills up a car with AUS$40.00 of petrol, $22 goes to the government in taxes here in New South Wales (the state Sydney is in)
Old 8 Sep 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1402025)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Current price in Holland: +/- €1.50/litre (= 1.01 GBP = $1.86) .
Old 8 Sep 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1402189)   #19
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Breaking News

You just thought you had troubles. Click HERE for a peek at the prices for 1 liter (3.76 liters = 1 US gallon) in the UK.

This is the exchange rate as of Wednesday, September 7, 2005:

1 British Pound (£) = $1.83640

In other words, 3.76 x 1.8364 = US$6.90/gallon!

In Canada:

Thursday, September 8, 2005
1 US Dollar = 1.18870 Canadian Dollar
1 Canadian Dollar (CAD) = 0.84126 US Dollar (USD)

$1.10 x 0.84126 = $0.925386/liter x 3.76 = US$3.49/US gallon.

And from the prior post: +/- €1.50/litre (= 1.01 GBP = $1.86) .

In Holland:

Thursday, September 8, 2005
1 US Dollar = 0.80515 Euro
1 Euro (€/EUR) = 1.24200 US Dollar (USD)

1.5 x 1.242 x 3.76 = US$7.00/US gallon

Old 8 Sep 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1402204)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Ours is going through the roof, looks like yours is about halfway up the stairs.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1402211)   #21
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Business as usual

For a useful monetary conversion website, click HERE

Old 9 Sep 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1402451)   #22
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
The price around here has been sitting at $3/gallon U.S. since the hurricane. It has dipped a little bit since then, but its starting to be a pain. Supposedly the prices will go back to $2.50 or so where they were eventually, but since oil companies are greedy I doubt it. I've heard some talk of truck drivers shutting down in a few weeks if fuel prices don't drop. I doubt it will accomplish much, but at least it will show the government that they need to do something.

J.D.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1413504)   #23
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's something for those of us who are paying through the nose...

http://www.petroldirect.com/