Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 6 Apr 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1572042)   #1
pmoloney
Racer

United Kingdom
Staffordshire
pmoloney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Numbers..bonnet or roof?

I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this! Am I allowed to place the race numbers normally placed on the bonnet of my race car on the roof instead to give my sponsors maximum space on the bonnet?

I've seen this done on International racing cars but not in the UK. One other option is to place the number board angled slightly onto the front wing but does this mean I have to move it to the other side when racing at an opposite direction circuit?
Old 6 Apr 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1572086)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
All i can add is I have a massive NASCAR type number on the roof of my Yellow Camaro and nothing on the bonnet as I did not want to spoil the look of the RS stripes and I have had it scrutineered at Snett twice, Pembrey and Silverstone in this livery and the only mention I got was from the Silverstone scrut but they still let me run. Mind you he also questioned my laminated screen which has been in the car 15 years and I put it in new so I know what it is and you can't even get a toughened one as the yanks never done them also it has been through many many scrutineering bays over the years so what can I say.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1572257)   #3
Tick Tock Man
Rookie

Tick Tock Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Blue Book, section E11.3.11 states that numbers must appear on both sides of the car and on the forwardmost part of the nose. Generally on a saloon car that would mean towards the front of the bonnet.

The main issue with numbers is that they should be easily identifiable to both timekeepers and marshalls around the track. Side numbers would be the most used for this, though there are some circuits where a clear bonnet number is useful.

Scruits tend not to worry too much about numbers as they are more concerned with safety issues.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1572291)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Tock Man
In the Blue Book, section E11.3.11 states that numbers must appear on both sides of the car and on the forwardmost part of the nose. Generally on a saloon car that would mean towards the front of the bonnet.

The main issue with numbers is that they should be easily identifiable to both timekeepers and marshalls around the track. Side numbers would be the most used for this, though there are some circuits where a clear bonnet number is useful.

Scruits tend not to worry too much about numbers as they are more concerned with safety issues.
Not only round the track but also Assembly Area and Startline. Those two areas rely on being able to see the number when standing in front if the car (hence E11.3.11 ). - A roof number would probably not be visble (unless you're 7ft tall!). It's best to just obey the rules and save on getting hassled by 'officialdom' on the day, when you have more important things to worry about!
Old 7 Apr 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1572969)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I got picked up once for having white Nos on red roundels . . . I said I'd just copied the period livery of the car ( which I have) and he said its in the blue book bla bla bla . . . he didn't say a word about the car in front, which had white Nos on the doors with no roundels . . .the car was Red.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1573114)   #6
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I got picked up once for having white Nos on red roundels . . . I said I'd just copied the period livery of the car ( which I have) and he said its in the blue book bla bla bla . . . he didn't say a word about the car in front, which had white Nos on the doors with no roundels . . .the car was Red.
You should have put your money down and lodged a protest! Only joking. Let's just say that standards are not always applied as consistantly as they should be
Old 8 Apr 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1574128)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think I will carry a spare with me (I am in the game after all) just in case. Thanks for fronting it up.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1574180)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And if you're not very good then put one on the underside of the car, makes it easier for us to radio it in when you bin it!

Oh, and choose a number like 11 or 88 or 69
Old 9 Apr 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1574314)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You obviously saw my caption to the photo competition on the CTRCC site where the marshalls were attending an upturned Renault 5 number 68 :-)
Old 9 Apr 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1574813)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I once reported Alain Menu in his BTCC Laguna for something-or-another.
Reported it as "Car 37" only to find out later (When my report had been thrown out) that the number "37" was part of the "Nescafe Blend 37" sponsorship!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1574818)   #11
pmoloney
Racer

United Kingdom
Staffordshire
pmoloney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, back on topic as I still haven't received the definitive response I was after!

Watching the BTCC today, those cars had NOTHING on the bonnet...neither did the Cupras and teh Porsches had their front facing numbers on the top of the windscreen! Surely there's a Scrut that can shed some light on this please!
Old 9 Apr 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1574907)   #12
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC regs are entirely different to those which govern the rest of us plebs Paul.
Put your number on the roof and take some bonnet sized spares with you in case there's a ruck
Old 9 Apr 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1574914)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoloney
Ok, back on topic as I still haven't received the definitive response I was after!
What part of Tick Tock Man's post above wasn't clear? If you've got a race licence the nice people at the MSA send you a Blue Book and you've been given the regulation number!!

Please put a number on the bonnet, there is nothing worse than trying to grid up cars (either on the grid on in an assembly area) and not being able to see the numbers on the front of the cars.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1574920)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there's no number on your bonnet then us Observers will just have to report you..........."hello race control, there's a car with no number on his bonnet" ........[Race control] "What's it's number, we'll black flag it!"
Old 9 Apr 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1574939)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
What part of Tick Tock Man's post above wasn't clear? If you've got a race licence the nice people at the MSA send you a Blue Book and you've been given the regulation number!!

Please put a number on the bonnet, there is nothing worse than trying to grid up cars (either on the grid on in an assembly area) and not being able to see the numbers on the front of the cars.

And one on each door would be helpful from the point of view of the timekeepers and the marshals.

No point at all in putting one on the roof unless you are being tracked by the local police helicopter.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1579034)   #16
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
pmalony,
As I discovered after letting off steam here about disgraceful driving behaviour in the BTCC (See: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=BTCC), the BTCC can vary the regs and penalties set out in the Blue Book as much as they wish! See O 2.1 and O 2.1.2. If thay can flout the regs on "careless, reckless or dangerous driving" then a little matter of a number's position.....?

They operate to a different rule book - GoK why the MSA put up with it - they bring down Gresham's Law on the rest of us.
John
Old 22 Apr 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1591997)   #17
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Numbers are not a problem with the timekeepers Guys, we are in the 21st Century with transponders!!!
Also, most timekeepers, on Race Circuits at least are at least on the First Floor, so can look down onto the roof!
HOWEVER, my colleagues in the Assembly and Grid/Startline are would appreciate more your number being at the front end of the bonnet - think about it!!
Incidentally, at a very recent meeting I had a single seater drive straight into the tyre wall in front us, and having reported the impact as car no (and I will not embarass the competitor), I found after his number was two digits! He lost one from the front by sticking it on a wet surface (so he said!!)