MADDOG-99
Rookie

MADDOG-99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First pics of MP4 19B

First pics of MP4 19B below!

Quote:
New McLaren breaks cover
Raikkonen christens new car in the wet at Silverstone

McLaren's updated MP4-19, the car with which the team hopes to turnaround its Formula 1 fortunes, broke cover at Silverstone this morning (Tuesday) when it was shaken down by Kimi Raikkonen in wet conditions.

The new car ? dubbed the MP4-19B ? has a re-shaped monocoque and revised bodywork and is ready for the track having passed all the mandatory FIA crash tests. Following the disaster of the MP4-18, which failed to pass the crucial tests, ticks in the boxes this time round has been a welcome relief to the struggling team.

The car features a revised nose, despite keeping its low sharply-pointed characteristics from the MP4-19. The most significant revisions appear at the rear of the car with aero adaptations similar to Ferrari's F2004 while the engine cover is more in line with the mould of the Renault R24.

It is hoped the car will make its race debut at the German GP on July 24 and technical director Adrian Newey has revealed it shows all the signs of being a vast improvement on its predecessor.

?In terms of lap times the simulation says the benefits should be significant, but I would rather not go further than that at the moment,? he said. ?It's an updated car so virtually all the mechanical parts are the same, but the bodywork is heavily updated.?

Full story to follow.

Autosport.

OK so here it is!
The new and the old,

More pics at;

http://www.f1total.com/bilder/cat.ph...=20&sort=1&p=1
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:27 (Ref:990350)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has it blown up yet? Sorry thats harsh.

Detailed changes. Sidepods different shapes, the bottom is reminisent to others with the sculturing.

I can't really make out any changes to the barge boards/turning vanes. I'd expect them to be different because of the change in the sidepods. However these change quite regularly on a race to race basis anyway.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:29 (Ref:990353)   #28
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lets hope that Merc... can get their act together as well!!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:29 (Ref:990354)   #29
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the pics, the most visible change is in the engine cover; then in the sidepods.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:41 (Ref:990370)   #30
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... I guess the major changes should be the engine... not the car.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:59 (Ref:990386)   #31
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First pics - apart from the one I posted this morning in the thread that is already running!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:04 (Ref:990391)   #32
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The detailed changes all appear to be part of a natural progression and no new radical departure from the accepted norm.

Whilst Williams broke away with the new nose cone, nothing really new and innovative.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:17 (Ref:990407)   #33
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cooling looks totally different to me - sodepods have very small inlets and the radiators must be a different shape and located differently. Apparently the engine is held higher (unusual, they always want to get lower normally). The rear suspension is all new and the aero is completely revised throughout. And presumably the engine is brand new also.

So I'd say quite new and quite innovative - certainly a bigger difference than some teams have from year to year, let alone mid-season.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:41 (Ref:990430)   #34
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you evaluate rear suspensions from these pics Glen?
Or do you have others more explicative?
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:03 (Ref:990609)   #35
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine cover is the same as Renault's. Interestingly McLaren have not tried the mid-wing Ferraris and BARs have been using, but then again I suppose the lost downforce in the rear wing isn't their main problem. Sidepods do look interesting.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:27 (Ref:990628)   #36
Glen
Veteran

Rear suspension was indicated in a picture caption I saw - probably on Autosport. I think McLaren have said that the revisions include new rear suspension. Certainly one of the problems that they have been experiencing has to do with torsional stiffness at the back and an unpredictable character when going into corners, I would guess that they have given that area some attention (including the rumoured stiffening-up of the engine block/transmission assembly).

The mid wings are very much add-ons for a few fractions of a per cent more downforce as far as I understand them - I don't think they would test a car from the ground-up with those fine-tuning devices. They will go with a basic configuration to establish a base-line and then make enhancements once that goal has been achieved.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:33 (Ref:990634)   #37
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1. F. Alonso - Renault - 1'22"068 - 60 laps
2. K. Raikkonen - McLaren - 1'22"122 - 46 laps

Good Debut for the new Mac.... 2nd on a Wet Silverstone Track. 46 laps completed as well
Old 1 Jun 2004, 19:36 (Ref:990713)   #38
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
1. F. Alonso - Renault - 1'22"068 - 60 laps
2. K. Raikkonen - McLaren - 1'22"122 - 46 laps

Good Debut for the new Mac.... 2nd on a Wet Silverstone Track. 46 laps completed as well
I was interested to see what his fastest time was since abour 15 minutes before the end of the final session,he came out and started giving it some. He looked visibly faster around Brooklands.

Here's a shoddy pic taken by myself earler today.

What I found interestinfg is there appeared to be a reflective gold-coloured material near the rear of the car.

It doesn't show up very well on this picture, but you can see the area in front of the rear wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
mp4_19b.jpg  
Old 1 Jun 2004, 19:55 (Ref:990744)   #39
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like more of that heat shrouding / thermal barrier on the suspension or bodywork there, Spud. If it wasn't there earlier in the day, perhaps they are already finding (and solving!) some of the new car's little problems...
Old 1 Jun 2004, 19:56 (Ref:990748)   #40
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS... I don't think that picture is all that shoddy... a better angle than the Autosport ones...
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:00 (Ref:990756)   #41
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First impressions, looks like a Renault.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:15 (Ref:990784)   #42
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
Looks like more of that heat shrouding / thermal barrier on the suspension or bodywork there, Spud. If it wasn't there earlier in the day, perhaps they are already finding (and solving!) some of the new car's little problems...
It looks really strange since you get the silver of the car and then this flash of gold as it goes past. From what I can see it looks like a large(ish) oblong sheet that seems to protude from underneath the bodywork.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:23 (Ref:990793)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's heat shielding - the exhaust exits just above that
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:25 (Ref:990794)   #44
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks more like a Renault from this shot Spudgun's kindly posted. The nose seems more consistent in its droopy shape (the old one seemed rather more abrupt).
The sidepod looks like the Renault one too. I wonder if they have also adopted the > shaped radiators too.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:01 (Ref:990826)   #45
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oooops think it blew up on way back to the factory. Sorry the TECHNOLOGY CENTRE.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:38 (Ref:990865)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by foreversideways
Oooops think it blew up on way back to the factory. Sorry the TECHNOLOGY CENTRE.
Cheap and unnecessary dig there.

They're at Silverstone for three days - not going back to the factory just yet.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 22:05 (Ref:990885)   #47
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks more like a Renault than a Renault does!

Er...

Anyway, I hope it's a good car, so Kimi CAN ACTUALLY WIN SOME RACES THIS YEAR!
Old 2 Jun 2004, 01:23 (Ref:990996)   #48
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the revisions are very renault-esque. everything from the sidepods to the engine cover. interesting that the kept the same radical nose/front wing configuration... guess that wasn't part of the problem. but i agree with most in that the area of the car most in need of improvement is the engine. the amount of engine failures this year is just rediculous... mercedes-benz should be ashamed
Old 2 Jun 2004, 04:29 (Ref:991061)   #50
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for the Pics, Led ZeppF1.

The aerodynamics are beautiful, the engine still horrible. Lets hope the chassis has improved. They might do better at mickey-mouse tracks like hungary, indianapolis, zhuhai, etc