Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 11 Dec 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1481779)   #1
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP Half Term Good or Bad??

Having watched Single seaters since the late sixties this series is firing my imagination again! I really did think that as I got older Tin Tops were beggining to become the only motorsport that really got me off my seat in excitement be it at home in front of the box or trackside, but now this series seens to have re-kindled those days I remember so fondly from my past.

I do believe that A1GP needs carefull handling because IMO it has great promise and all I can say is give me more!!
Old 11 Dec 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1481787)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Malaysian round and today in Dubai were absolutely excellent.

A lot of the critics seem to forget it's just the first season of A1GP - and already the racing is good.

Cars which move around, need to be driven, and can overtake.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1481795)   #3
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i've seen (which was only brands )

I would rate A1 as excellent so far, a very good first season so far, long may it continue.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1481797)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, for a brand new series, an excellent start.
Yes, there's been problems. But if everything was perfect, I'd be concerned about when things would start to go wrong.
On the whole, the racing has been close and of a high quality; mechanical problems with cars are now much rarer than at the start; and it's been a very enjoyable show (as that's what it is).
There are issues that still need to be resolved - media coverage to me being the biggest one of these. I'm not referring primarily to the TV coverage, I don't feel that the press have taken this on board as much as they could, and the information should be more readily available to get people initially interested in A1GP (and maybe even motorsport as a whole?!)
But, the only way is up, and it's been a very promising start. Keep the progress going at the current rate and I can see A1GP becoming a very stable series for the off-season.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1481804)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's great
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1481807)   #6
Rockfan
Rookie

England
Near Rockingham
Rockfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good and exciting racing, I believe in general. This series will be my winters entertainment.

Good job Shiekh
Old 11 Dec 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1481814)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think the series is excellent, almost on a parr with that of GP2, the racing certainly is, just a shame IMO that they look a little unconventional. All in all though a great series which has suprised me greatly, I was expecting the series to be a bit of a let down and im pleased to have been proved 100% wrong.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1481863)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The series is doing very well, although there are still the little niggles with the cars technically and the TV production still having one or two minor timing and graphic glitches, but it's only half way through it's first season with time for the cars and the TV production to mature.

The racing itself is first class IMO, and having it as a Winter series (in the Northern Hemisphere) allows it the exposure it deserves and not become lost in the busy European season.

I agree that the media control needs improving with greater access for more general Motorsports media to information. I say this because from the outside it appears that all information released about the series must come from A1GP themselves...this isn't necessarily a bad thing but when their own website has very few news or feature updates between race weekends there is little for anyone else to go on.

Televised interview today suggests that the 2006/07 calendar is in the final stages with 30 teams rather than the current 25 (when everyone turns up). It sounds good but lets hope that it's not trying to run before it's past the crawling stage.

Summary: Good so far, continue in the current maner and improve info availability.

I look forward to the remainder of the season and many seasons to come.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1481974)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good so far...I think the points system's not helping, and I think countries should be forced to change drivers a couple of times a year (same frequency as America have been for example) - would allow a bit of variety.

Definately something to fill the winter, though GP2's got the area covered in terms of sportsmanship in identical machinery.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:33 (Ref:1482022)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I agree with the changing drivers more regulary idea, but other than that, its been superb. A welcome addition to the single seater category.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 03:07 (Ref:1482034)   #11
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Very good so far. It's so refreshing to see such close racing in an open-wheeler category.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 04:15 (Ref:1482042)   #12
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Sheikh mentioned a few ideas they were kicking around to improve the championship next year ... one of which was maybe to make both the races longer, and effectively make sure that one driver alone wouldn't be able to do both races.

It would give it still more of a nationalistic feel if each country were obliged to run two different drivers each weekend, although there may be problems with some countries actually having two competitive drivers. I'd be surprised if that were the case, but even if it were so, perhaps the sprint race would be the one to blood the up and coming drivers?

You'd probably need 4 test sessions in that case as well, to give both drivers a couple of sessions each.

And, if the qualifying format was the same, then each driver does two laps, with the aggregate best two still counting for the pole.

Finally, allocate some points for the sprint race as well as the main race, to ensure that no-one does feel the need not to try too hard in the sprint race. The current points system (ie one point difference per finishing position) do reward consistency, I think, rather than outright domination, which is good for a championship like this. Otherwise France would have been untouchable by now.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 04:20 (Ref:1482044)   #13
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One final thought. It was interesting to see two cars - I forget who they were - slipstreaming down the straight. The car in front was using his boost button, but this was more than negated by the car behind using the slipstream. Ignoring any slight advantage gained by the exit from the last corner, it would perhaps be better to make the boost a more significant event ... i.e. increase it from 30hp to maybe 50 or 60? Sufficient to break the tow at least. As it stands, there isn't too much to be gained from it, it seems. It would generate a lot more excitement if the use of the boost made a more significant difference. Which of course would make the boosted car's arrival at the end of the straight that much quicker, and therefore that much more interesting!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1482076)   #14
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm loving it! And at least we have something to watch during the F1 break.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1482170)   #15
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As in the first post by Paddockman.

I do believe that A1GP needs carefull handling because IMO it has great promise and all I can say is give me more!!

Yesterday race was a cracker,i just loved it A1 has renewed my lagging interest in Motorsport.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1482181)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very good so far.

the first few rounds were not that great but the last 3 have been excellent (even with france dominating)

the cars look great the driver swapping is a good idea ( a bit more from some teams would be great) and so far Ive enjoyed it immensly.

ive already starting getting favorite drivers and such in my head and supporting them while at the same time have developed the "evil" drivers that i dont want to do well at certain stages.

I do hope they manage to get another year out of this it would be a huge waste to throw it all away after one season.

so far I give it a 7 out of 10
Old 12 Dec 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1482200)   #17
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
For a first season it has been excellent. Compare to, say, the first season of F3000. The points system, however, definitely needs changing, after the first three rounds France could hardly be beaten. And for sheer entertainment value an entirely reversed grid for race 2 would be interesting.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1482212)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
It would give it still more of a nationalistic feel if each country were obliged to run two different drivers each weekend, although there may be problems with some countries actually having two competitive drivers. I'd be surprised if that were the case, but even if it were so, perhaps the sprint race would be the one to blood the up and coming drivers?
I don't see this as the remit for A1, it's point of difference from other series is to have countries represented without the focus on drivers that every other series has. Similarly as it's a 'countries' championship and not a drivers one, there is no incentive for a team to feel obliged to run two different drivers when they can focus on the one who will deliver the best results.

A1GP already has a lot of structure, I think it needs to avoid things like the above which could make the championship look too contrived.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1482214)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
One final thought. It was interesting to see two cars - I forget who they were - slipstreaming down the straight. The car in front was using his boost button, but this was more than negated by the car behind using the slipstream. Ignoring any slight advantage gained by the exit from the last corner, it would perhaps be better to make the boost a more significant event ... i.e. increase it from 30hp to maybe 50 or 60? Sufficient to break the tow at least. As it stands, there isn't too much to be gained from it, it seems. It would generate a lot more excitement if the use of the boost made a more significant difference. Which of course would make the boosted car's arrival at the end of the straight that much quicker, and therefore that much more interesting!
I agree, a 30bhp boost isnt really that much when you are dealing with the kind of power the A1 cars have, if the cars had 50-60bhp it would be enough to make overtaking a lot more exciting as well as to prevent overtaking. Series like Champ car and FPA both use a 50bhp boost and the racing is fantastic in both series.

Still its only a minor thing that could be made better IMO, not really that significant. Maybe things will change for 2006.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1482225)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus

I do hope they manage to get another year out of this it would be a huge waste to throw it all away after one season.

There's absolutely no chance of it being scrapped.

The 2006/7 calendar is virtually complete already
Old 12 Dec 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1482284)   #21
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love it and hope that it'll run for as long as I'm around to watch it and then some.
And I dont think they need to change anything yet to be honest. Maybe after another year, but not yet.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1482322)   #22
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it'll be around for a long time - just look at what they created with the Dubai World Cup horse race ... there's a good chance that A1 GP could also become very well known and very competitive.

Considering how long it has been around what they've achieved is amazing - surely they already have more coverage (TV, press, etc.)/awareness than GP2 and past F3000 already?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1482455)   #23
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
There's absolutely no chance of it being scrapped.

The 2006/7 calendar is virtually complete already
Ive also loved A1gp so far,
can you tell us the calender, i hope their coming back to Brands coz i was there and it was one of the best meetings ive ever been to.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1482458)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Sheik Maktoum said at the weekend it's almost complete - his intention is to announce it before the end of the current season.

I'd say Brands Hatch will be 99% sure!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1482529)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I'd say Brands Hatch will be 99% sure!
Lets hope not! Somewhere like Silverstone or even Donnington would be far better IMO. Brands is just too narrow, it showed that this season.