Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Mar 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1560381)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turning off the car in gridlock traffic. Good idea?

We've had a very intense rainy season in the past couple of weeks which has meant occasional flooding of some streets, common car breakdowns and eventual accidents.

Yesterday there was absolute gridlock as I was probably moving 30ft every 5 minutes. So, I decided that it would probably be a good idea to turn off the car when the traffic wasn't moving to save gas and the engine wear associated with idle conditions. I probably did this about 5 or 6 times. However, what could be the long run consequences on the starter motor?
Old 25 Mar 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1560388)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Like any mechanical device you will pobably knacker it sooner than with normal usage.

This reminds me years ago some bright spark bought out this 'revolutionary device' for saving fuel. All it did was cutout the engine when you stopped and started it as soon as you dipped the clutch, needless to say it never took off!
Old 25 Mar 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1560415)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't there a country where it's a requirement to stop the engine at traffic lights etc?
Old 25 Mar 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1560417)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
Isn't there a country where it's a requirement to stop the engine at traffic lights etc?
At a lot of traffic lights, level crossings, etc., in Germnay there are signs instructing drivers to stop their engines while stationary.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1560444)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Providing your starter is up to the job, switching the engine off whilst stationary is a good idea, it saves fuel, wear on the engine and cuts pollution. I think the recommended time is about 5 seconds before you should switch off.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1560497)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
doesn't it use quite a bit of fuel to start it again though?
Old 26 Mar 2006, 00:33 (Ref:1560686)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think in certain situations here in the UK it could be a good idea, sat at traffic lights for 30 seconds - 1 minute however I really dont think it would make much differnce with regards to fuel consumption, if everyone did it though it might cut down a small ammount of pollution. The one time I would think turning off would be a good idea is if like me you have a gas guzzler and are literally stationary for minutes at a time on a motorway for example. As Bella has suggested I too think turning the car on and off for 30 secs to 1 minute would use more petrol/diesel than just letting the car idle for that short space of time.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1561088)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
doesn't it use quite a bit of fuel to start it again though?
It depends how long you are going to leave it ticking over for and if you have to pump the accelerator to get it going again. That's where the recommended turning it off after 5 seconds (it may be longer) comes in.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1561106)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Also how many cars are going to fail to hot start for one reason or another adding to the traffic chaos (ask anyone who was stuck behind me in the Brands Hatch paddock tunnel the other week when it happened to me!)
Old 26 Mar 2006, 08:08 (Ref:1561108)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Why did you turn your engine off in the tunnel?
I think with the sort of chaos that Sharky was sitting in you wouldn't want to leave your engine running too long, you may choke to death.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1561119)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I did'nt actually I stalled the thing and the battery went flat when I tried to restart so I had to get the one out the race car. But it does enthasise the point what can happen and the chaos it can cause if the thing won't refire for what ever reason and constant restarting after driving a few hundred yards will flatten the battery for sure.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 00:59 (Ref:1588188)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
However, what could be the long run consequences on the starter motor?
Probably no effect on the starter motor however it is possible to nick the starter drive/flywheel if you do not get a rapid start. Now that you have a newer ('03) car, I wouldn't worry about it.

One item to ponder is the latest hybrid (gas/electric) Toyotas & Hondas will shut down the gas engine automatically and start it up automatically when necessary due to load. Says a lot about their faith in the starter motors and associated components.

Old 19 Apr 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1588193)   #13
Mark Smith
Racer

United Kingdom
Chester
Mark Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to own a VW Polo Formel E that had the stop start device on it and it drove me mad in traffic with it stopping and starting, especially on a cold day as it took ages for the engine to warm up and get some heat in the car if sat in traffic first thing in the morning.I only kept it 18 months and traded it in for another polo without the system.It had a 1272 petrol engine with a twin choke carb on it and was an absolute flyer!I once did a 190 mile trip in it in under 2 hours many years ago when the roads werent so busy.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 01:51 (Ref:1588220)   #14
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
Now that you have a newer ('03) car, I wouldn't worry about it.
Ha ha ha. I don't have a newer car. I still own my 96 pug 205. Of course, should fellow forum members find it in their heart to make a small donation to the "upgrade Sharky's car" fund then....*ejem*

The car starts up immediately after turning trhe key though. I never need second attempt nor continuous use of the starter.

However, I wouldn't do this at every traffic light or every time the car stops. I was wondering about its convenience during gridlock traffic where the car could be standing still for over a minute.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1588832)   #15
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
However, I wouldn't do this at every traffic light or every time the car stops. I was wondering about its convenience during gridlock traffic where the car could be standing still for over a minute.
You will definitely save gas however the quantity will never be noticed at your next `fill up'.

If you can get some self satisfaction from that, do it.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1588994)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The new Citroen they are calling the 'Stop & Go' has this system fitted.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1589031)   #17
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
The new Citroen they are calling the 'Stop & Go' has this system fitted.
I would not be surprised if it was equipped with the starter AND the alternator integrated with the flywheel. This system was developed by Valeo and has the advantages of NO starter or alternator or belts on the outside of the engine. Saves space in the engine compartment and reduces overall weight. It also saves assembly and set up time prior to installation in the car body.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1589051)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think you brake and when you stop it shuts off then as soon as you let your foot off the brake it starts, not sure, I will have to listen harder to the radio ad as they are promoting it very strongly in London at the moment and giving you the equivalant of a years worth of congestion charge as a cash back, (over a grand!)
Old 19 Apr 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1589168)   #19
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Automobile Antics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I think you brake and when you stop it shuts off then as soon as you let your foot off the brake it starts, not sure, I will have to listen harder to the radio ad as they are promoting it very strongly in London at the moment and giving you the equivalant of a years worth of congestion charge as a cash back, (over a grand!)
It probably starts when you step on the gas. That method (not the Valeo system) has been used in thousands of gas powered utility carts (similar to golf carts) for many years.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1589635)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One item to ponder is the latest hybrid (gas/electric) Toyotas & Hondas will shut down the gas engine automatically and start it up automatically when necessary due to load. Says a lot about their faith in the starter motors and associated components.
Hopefully, my next car will be a hybrid Lexus. Not only does it cut the petrol engine when stationary, it runs entirely on the electric motor at low speeds - so crawling along in traffic it uses no petrol at all!

I agree it says a great deal about Honda/Toyota's faith in their components. I have wondered what impact the system may have on the petrol engine - alot of stopping and starting, and then running on a cold engine isn't ideal for economy or longevity.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1589651)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do this for long waits. There is one particular level crossing which I know takes ages if you catch it wrong. Hand brake on, out of gear (or park) and engine off. It is a new car so I am confident of it starting!

Although I doubt many consider this. At this level crossing some sit with their foot on the brake the whole time (and for a long time). This would annoy me. Put the handbrake on and relax! Although that is a little of topic.

We shall probably see "stop & go" or similar on more cars and commercial vehicles. For vans that run round in town it can make quite a difference to the fuel economy and is a relatively cheap device to fit.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1589652)   #22
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
I agree it says a great deal about Honda/Toyota's faith in their components. I have wondered what impact the system may have on the petrol engine - alot of stopping and starting, and then running on a cold engine isn't ideal for economy or longevity.
I belive that all the electronic controls will insure quick warmup at minimum fuel consumption/wear.

Honestly, how many cars have you owned that needed repairs attributed to start/stop/cold running? These would primarily be piston ring problems. In fact do you know anyone who needed that type of repairs?
Old 20 Apr 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1589661)   #23
Sharky
Veteran

A friend of mine has a VERY old 1988 Chevy Monza (which was sold as an Opel Kaddet in Europe if I'm not mistaken). The starter motor fails from time to time and he's left stranded as it is the automatic version so there's no chance of starting it up by pushing it. Of course, what else could you expect out of a 18 year old car?
Old 20 Apr 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1589694)   #24
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Honestly, how many cars have you owned that needed repairs attributed to start/stop/cold running? These would primarily be piston ring problems. In fact do you know anyone who needed that type of repairs?
None. It's more of a (very) long term wear issue, i.e. will the engine be good for 100-150k or 200k plus. And at least recently most of my cars have been fairly new. I did nasty things to a piston ring (or two) in a Mazda once, but that was oil starvation due to a dodgy oil pump...
Old 20 Apr 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1589696)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tests carried out on a Mercedes Sprinter fitted with "Start Stop" reported a 9.5% to 30.5% fuel saving (Fleet Van 23.02.06). It is easy to use and is easily over-ridden and also takes into account engine temperature. As I said these are cheap devides - £175!