Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7 Jul 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3657557)   #1
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do I replace my Yokos with?

Along with most of the Roadsports brigade, I have been using Yokohamas ever since I starting racing the TR back in 2004. Latterly that has been the AO48R of course. My current set have been on the car for long enough that they are almost classic in their own right, but it really is time to replace them.

The A048R is not currently E marked, and is therefore not an option. We can use any road-legal tyre from Blue Book List 1A or 1B, but with minimum profile of 60. I use 205/60 R15, my car is relatively heavy at just over 1000kg, and it does do a fair bit of road-mileage as well as racing.

My mate who runs another TR has gone to Avon CR6ZZ, and my natural inclination would be to do the same for 'sportsmanship' reasons, but ... Avon don't do a 60 profile, they do a 70 ... in my case that would involve mucking about with the suspension to give a touch more clearance; when new, the 60s just touch their shoulders in hard cornering against the wheel arches, so a 70 is going to be worse, after racing the car for 13 years I really can't be bothered to pfaff about, I just want to bolt on some fresh rubber! The Avons are also a lot more money that the Yokos...

So I'm thinking of using another tyre, and the two options that leap out are Toyo Proxes CF2 or Kumho Ecsta HS51. Both available in the correct sizes, and at attractive pricing!

Does anyone have any experience of running either of these tyres?

Does anyone have any other suggestions / advice?

Lots of the other guys will be facing this decision at some point, but it seems that I am leading the charge. I hear that Yoko may put the A048R through whatever process is required for an E mark, but plod would be a tad miffed if he stopped me on the road right now, so my need is too urgent to wait!

Thanks