Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Sep 2002, 10:03 (Ref:386445)   #1
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who was there????

So how many of you got up to donington this weekend? Which post did you get put on?
ANNA
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:37 (Ref:386519)   #2
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Was there for all three days

On post 8 for Friday with a trainee, Chris. Suggested he ask for a post with an X/O for Sat/Sun, which he did and got the last signatures he needed!

I/O On post 15 for Saturday and Sunday, nothing to report incident-wise but it was a great crew.

Thought the W.S.C. and Clio's were disappointing, but apart from that, a good weekend.

Went for a wander in the paddock afterwards in search of a Ten-Tenths cap, found Craig and crew enjoying a post-season impromtu Bonfire and was introduced to Maisie, whose beloved Maestro's I had insulted in a different thread Fortunately she refrained from inflicting any pain
(I did check out the camper, it is pretty cool!)

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 23 Sep 2002 at 11:45.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:52 (Ref:386531)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Hey don't blame me for the paddock bonfire - wasn't me who started it! And I'm not going to say who did either as it might end in a large fine for damaging the Donington Park tarmac!

Quote of the day:

TOCA Official: "hmmm... a bonfire and high octane petrol in close proximity. I think we could have a problem."

Un-named individual: "I don't like to worry you but we used the high octane petrol to start the fire..."

TOCA Official departs stage left.

A superb weekend - really enjoyed it. And nice to meet some of you marshals too - great to put faces to names!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:55 (Ref:386534)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i was at starkeys bridge. quite hairy racing gr8 weekend but trouble getting out. in the end we went around the track and out at the melbourne loop to avoid traffic
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:56 (Ref:386537)   #5
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there all three days. Wasnt as bad as i thought but i think they should have not bothered with the WSC I think there was to much there.
Spent all three days in the pits so got to see some good action.
Was good to see turkington was ok after his big off at post 9 (but his car was a total right off)
Craig didnt speak to you this weekend but i think I saw you when you was under the gazibo saturday and sunday but did speak to John on the sunday (happy as ever)

Last edited by brickkicker; 23 Sep 2002 at 11:59.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:56 (Ref:386538)   #6
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Hey don't blame me for the paddock bonfire - wasn't me who started it! And I'm not going to say who did either as it might end in a large fine for damaging the Donington Park tarmac!

Quote of the day:

TOCA Official: "hmmm... a bonfire and high octane petrol in close proximity. I think we could have a problem."

Un-named individual: "I don't like to worry you but we used the high octane petrol to start the fire..."

TOCA Official departs stage left.

Craig, as a Donington ES official I would never have suggested that, besides it was already well alight...

As for the TOCA Official; When the Going gets tough...
Old 23 Sep 2002, 13:10 (Ref:386600)   #7
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Friday I was obs/flag on post 25, getting writers cramp filling in reports on corner cutting (easier to write down all the numbers and tick them as they did it!)

Saturday / Sunday flagging on post 14, which was relatively quiet, but the attempts at creating havoc were numerous.

Like many others, I think the WSC could have been dropped, especially with most recognised sportscar drivers across in Le Mans. Still, the huge crowd seemed to go home happy. It was good to see James Thompson having a beer in redgates at the end of the meeting, obviously not scared to mix with the public.

Unfortunately I didn't get back into the paddock last night due to various Clio teams/drivers, a local pub, & a game of jenga. However the parties were still in full force by the sounds of it at midnight last night once I got back to the caravan.

Blackcrow - nice to meet you on the campsite. Hope everyone else enjoyed the weekend.

Alan.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 16:38 (Ref:386678)   #8
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ascarracinguk, was you on post 11 ? if so i was flaggin there...no, not the old fa*t...and post 7on friday...
Bricky, where were you in the camp site ?
Sorry to the family i kept awake Saturday night / Sunday morning, with the music playing, my excuse...i had consumed too much pop........
Donington should be facing a heavy fine too, from the health and safety, the toilets in the infield were overflowing by Sunday morning, they were informed too.
The traffic was tedious on the way out, didn`t get out of the circuit until 8.35, and got home by 10.30, still, racing was pretty good...
Old 23 Sep 2002, 17:01 (Ref:386686)   #9
brickkicker
Veteran

I was in the middle by the brick building and the big tree. Didnt hear no music saturday night but I think that was probably because of the vodka and beer. Blackcrow I missed you after all
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:58 (Ref:386897)   #10
rick vaux
Racer

Do you have an afinity with bricks ?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:40 (Ref:386933)   #11
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport understatement

autosport online reported aaron slight as going off at first corner. That in no way gives any indication of the way he smashed into the wall at post 6 (where I and boyfriend was), knocking the wall to a 45 degreee angle at the fire point. Andy (the fella) looked down once aaron's car had stopped to see the other two marshals next to him on the floor. As myself and Russell ran up, (Russel tripped over the wall going flat on his face) the doctor was just checking Aaron and then helped him into her car, much to relief and applause of the crowd, who had flocked to the incident. It was a rather too close for comfort!

None of us could believe that they got him out for the second race, the back of the car was very, very smashed in and looked rather crumpled around the fuel pump.

Apart from that, weekend was great, tooo late a finish tho, why they had W.S.C I dont know. Only 7 cars and a very long circuit. Loved the rest. The Tornado flypast was quite a shocker too or maybe we were just a bit fraught from aaron's visit.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:47 (Ref:386938)   #12
rick vaux
Racer

pOST 16 ,NOT 6...
Old 23 Sep 2002, 23:22 (Ref:386959)   #13
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. I was at post 6. I should know, i was there. or have you got yourself confused as to where you were flagging. Maybe somebody else crashed into post 16 but Aaron definitely came into us (in the sprint race) at post 6.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 06:13 (Ref:387065)   #14
brickkicker
Veteran

Agree he crashed at 6 I was watching it on the tellys in the pit lane, looked a bit hard but was good to see he get out ok. The Alfa was a bit of a mess aswell.
Manicmarshal we meet again, will you both be at dono for the FIA GT's???
Old 24 Sep 2002, 09:56 (Ref:387153)   #15
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
the alfa was my crash. the only thing left untouched on the front was the badge. gr8 advertising
Old 26 Sep 2002, 16:32 (Ref:388938)   #16
rick vaux
Racer

OOps , sorry.....
Old 26 Sep 2002, 16:40 (Ref:388943)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I was on Post 5 (Hollywood) Friday - Post 25 (Foggerty's Out) Sat/Sun.

Belting Weekend all round.

Highlights:-
Touring Cars clipping exit of Foggys on Saturday Quali - all the stones & dust meant you couldn't see the tarmac, quite scary by the end.
Having Bevvies with the bunch from Croft on Friday.
Having more Bevvies with the Croft bunch & Colin Stancombe Saturday.
The stunning GT race, well worth staying up for.
Hearing Big Mac's explanation of why he dropped the yellow flag from the gantry at Rockingham.
Mr.Sharp having a moment of silly on the Green Flag lap in the Clios
Old 26 Sep 2002, 19:18 (Ref:389065)   #18
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Post 25 - The only post where more dirt ends up on the track than on the infield. Knowing Andy Mac he'll have had as much fun reporting the idiots as I did on Friday. As for the Rockingham yellow flag he's had much ribbing at Croft for that. I know many senior officials aren't letting it lie either.

And, according to Mr Sharp's team (and the man himself)in the pub on sunday night, he span twice on the green flag lap - a cause of much leg pulling from his ever so helpful team mates.

Glad you enjoyed it - see you at Croft next year?

Alan
Old 27 Sep 2002, 08:37 (Ref:389586)   #19
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"On post 8 for Friday with a trainee, Chris. Suggested he ask for a post with an X/ O for Sat/Sun, which he did and got the last signatures he needed!"

Oi - Neil - I'm not a trainee!!! am insulted now
I'm very proud of the green badge that our club doesn't issue!!
Old 27 Sep 2002, 08:40 (Ref:389590)   #20
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
however, following on from the original question - I was on 8 on friday, Neil & I had a bit of fun taking the mick out of the rescue team & the doctor who looks even younger than me!
then sat/sun was p39, nice & close to the grid for the BTCC (if you know what i mean quite hairy watching Tom Chilton take an extra left after Goddards & go straight into the wall...
Old 27 Sep 2002, 11:46 (Ref:389704)   #21
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Chris, you mean you preferred being surrounded by lycra-clad lovelies to being stuck out in the back-end of nowhere?

Lucky lad.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 13:49 (Ref:389795)   #22
ascarracinguk
Veteran

RICK VAUX which was post 11 i was just after starkeys bridge goin up schwantz.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 16:46 (Ref:389980)   #23
rick vaux
Racer

Thats the one , we had two cover the outside where Mr Saunders decided to avail himself....
Old 28 Sep 2002, 19:13 (Ref:390641)   #24
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Hope all of you who were there managed to play 'spot-the-orange' on ITVs coverage this afternoon.

Was anyone else thinking 'Demolition Derby'? - I know that i was there, but I had no idea that so much bashing was going on around the circuit (either car-v-car or car-v-wall)!

Here's hoping for quieter times at Mallory tomorrow, and JCC at Silverstone next weekend (everybody welcome, £10 a day remember, desparate for flags/obs apparently).

Alan
Old 30 Sep 2002, 07:46 (Ref:391885)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

hi then rick. im adam the short arse young one buddied up with simon.
hmmmm. that was rather an interresting 1 with the alfa