Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Sep 2007, 10:39 (Ref:2025016)   #1
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lakeside is a GO!!!!

Woohoo!!!! About bloody time!!!! link

Quote:
Lakeside gets green light from Council

27/09/07 - After a six year saga, on Tuesday 18 September 2007, the Pine Rivers Shire Council voted to enter into a lease with Wrexmere Pty Ltd (Queensland Raceway) to re-open and manage the historic Lakeside Raceway on Brisbane's north side.
The deal still must obtain State Government approval and the lease has not yet been signed, but neither party foresees any major delays.
Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts president Ian Milton said,
"Credit to the Council for demonstrating the vision and determination necessary to deliver a victory for ratepayers, motorsport and common sense. Lakeside will deliver long term economic, social and life-saving benefits to the whole community."
While very pleased with the progress, John Tetley of Queensland Raceway cautioned,
"This is just one more step along the way. Albeit a big milestone, it's not the last milestone by any means."
Work remains before Lakeside can once more be operational. Even though most neighbouring residents chose to live in the area long after the race track was established in 1967, Mr Tetley is currently visiting the UK as part of the continuing effort to incorporate the concerns of neighboring residents.
"Many of the UK tracks have fairly severe noise restrictions and I think there is a lot to be learnt from them", he said.
"Without a lot of physical support for tidying up tyre walls, repairing ARMCO etc, it is possible we will not re-open with racing for some time, but instead concentrate on low investment, low revenue activities as the business finds its feet again and builds up some spending money. That is not to say there won't be speed events like sprints, but full-on racing may have to wait until we have the money to pay people to fix the edges, drains, tyre walls etc."
Cr Bob Millar sits on both the Pine Rivers Shire Council's Strategic & Planning and Co-ordination committees responsible for approving the Lakeside Raceway lease. He said,
"I think it's good for the ratepayers to finally reach a point, after a lot of time and effort has been spent on the concerns of residents, to get to where we can now move forward."
Council minutes showed one of the Co-ordination Committee's recommendations as,
"In addition to the operational and capital development matters, the lessee, in consultation with Council, is to include in the capital improvement program construction of a barrier at the western end of the circuit (known as the Carousel). This barrier may take the form of a vegetated mound or similar barrier."
When asked when he expected to see Lakeside re-start operations, Cr Millar replied, "Two years ago!"
Mr Milton reaffirmed LMRE's position,
"We've always said we'd support the bonafide winner of the Council's tender process and we're very pleased to get to this point after years of people saying that Lakeside was dead and buried, but now it's up to the motorsport community to determine Lakeside's future."

Last edited by richie17; 28 Sep 2007 at 10:41.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 10:45 (Ref:2025021)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie17
Woohoo!!!! About bloody time!!!! link
Great news. Lakeside is where i saw my first motor race way back in the late 60's.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 13:32 (Ref:2025137)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T-riffic

Spin!!...Spin!!....Spin!!...sorry, got carried away...great news, I hope the meetings are done right...best of luck...now....who's got a spare room
Old 28 Sep 2007, 22:55 (Ref:2025428)   #4
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see another local council (4 now) in South-East Queensland supporting Motor Sport.

We have it pretty good here - Morgan Park Raceway is owned by Warwick Shire Council (leased and developed by local car club members),

the Indy Street Circuit is on public roads of Gold Coast City Council (controlled & managed by a semi-State Government owned business),

Queensland Raceway is owned by Ipswich City Council (management rights leased to Qld Raceway Pty Ltd - company owned by J & A Tetley)

And now Lakeside is owned by Pine Rivers Shire Council (soon to be Moreton North) with managements rights leased to Wrexmere Pty Ltd - another company owned by J Tetley.

Certainly a trend here that Motor Racing Venues are owned by the public (councils) and managed by private businesses, but in reality, that is the situation for all the big stadiums for other sports - Gabba - Lang Park - QEII - Sleeman - Ballymore etc etc.

Last edited by spook; 28 Sep 2007 at 23:00.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 05:10 (Ref:2025520)   #5
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant !

That's great news to hear. Over the last few years it has become pretty derelict and it will be great to see it operational in the not to distant future. If only Oran Park could be saved as well !
Old 29 Sep 2007, 06:19 (Ref:2025539)   #6
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border
ezepze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was only thinking about lakeside last week and thinking we were going to lose another historic circuit for good.
Be fantastic to see some historics racing there.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2025599)   #7
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sensational
Old 29 Sep 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2025604)   #8
eelboi
Rookie

Australia
south east queensland
eelboi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great news. having done more than a few laps around the old joint [on 2 wheels] it would be fantastic to have lakeside operational again. many great memories , [the rides home were pretty memorable too]
Old 30 Sep 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2026158)   #9
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook
Good to see another local council (4 now) in South-East Queensland supporting Motor Sport.

We have it pretty good here - Morgan Park Raceway is owned by Warwick Shire Council (leased and developed by local car club members),

the Indy Street Circuit is on public roads of Gold Coast City Council (controlled & managed by a semi-State Government owned business),

Queensland Raceway is owned by Ipswich City Council (management rights leased to Qld Raceway Pty Ltd - company owned by J & A Tetley)

And now Lakeside is owned by Pine Rivers Shire Council (soon to be Moreton North) with managements rights leased to Wrexmere Pty Ltd - another company owned by J Tetley.

Certainly a trend here that Motor Racing Venues are owned by the public (councils) and managed by private businesses, but in reality, that is the situation for all the big stadiums for other sports - Gabba - Lang Park - QEII - Sleeman - Ballymore etc etc.
This is great news!! We had Lakeside booked for use in the "INDY RALLY" (14 - 17 October) this year but were advised by John Tetley some months back that it may be a close run thing so have arranged a slot at QR. SEQ are well served with tracks, we use Carnell Raceway at Stanthorpe, Morgan Park, Willowbank, QR and Mount Cotton. We also used Darlington Park and the HPDC at Norwell in earlier years until over-the-top "noise" restrictions got in the way and eventually closed down Darlington. Lakeside will certianly be in the schedule next year!
Old 30 Sep 2007, 04:21 (Ref:2026206)   #10
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic to hear, I look forward to perhaps getting to a race meeting there one day
Old 1 Oct 2007, 07:33 (Ref:2027591)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Spin!!...Spin!!....Spin!!...sorry, got carried away...great news, I hope the meetings are done right...best of luck...now....who's got a spare room
Mick, i live 5 minutes from Lakeside and have a spare room.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 10:21 (Ref:2027722)   #12
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weeeeeeelllllll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Mick, i live 5 minutes from Lakeside and have a spare room.
Do tell!!....would I have to share it with Uncle Mike
Old 2 Oct 2007, 02:57 (Ref:2028505)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Do tell!!....would I have to share it with Uncle Mike
Aaahh yeah! But you're good friends aren't you?
Old 2 Oct 2007, 03:38 (Ref:2028515)   #14
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Love the place and I hope I am wrong but:
a) This gives Qld Raceway a monopoly of racing in SEQ and it would be to their benefit for Lakeside to be unused and fade away with neglect.
b) Pine Rivers Shire Council do not want to be getting noise complaints from the nieghbours and result (a) would suit them fine.
c) It is going to take a pretty fair amount of folding stuff to get the place into shape for even track days and clubbies. That expenditure has to be passed on if it is used.
d) The main public complaint with Lakeside was always the toilet facilities. (If you ever took your wife to either the spectator areas or the paddock you know what I mean) Is there sewerage into the site now as septic is not allowable due to the water storage. (Job for Kenny?)
Anyone who can, please set me straight and tell me I am just a grumpy old man.

Last edited by Oldtony; 2 Oct 2007 at 03:42.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 06:03 (Ref:2028555)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
The site isn't sewered, i belive there will trucks of portaloos etc for events.

Restoring Lakeside to a minimum standard will be a lot cheaper than building a new track.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 09:17 (Ref:2028690)   #16
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The site isn't sewered, i belive there will trucks of portaloos etc for events.

Restoring Lakeside to a minimum standard will be a lot cheaper than building a new track.
Yeh, like the facilities at QR, Not.

Dreamtime at the lake more like it. Not a enough folding stuff and the restrictions, unless you all move there and vote for a user freindly council or buy out the home owners, it will be just a quite litte spot to a have putter around, just like QR ( been there done that, no much bang for your buck). Ask the leasee how much is being put in?

How will the safety upgrade be paid?
how will the resurface be paid?

the list goes on.

Build a new track between Brisvegas and Plastic city is a better option.

I love racing, but facilities are a requirement not just nostalga.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2028919)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Confused

I'm confused...doesn't the teabag "own" both QR and the rights to operate Lakeside?? Therefore, he should want to optimise the use of both venues from a business standpoint????
Old 3 Oct 2007, 07:48 (Ref:2029615)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm confused...doesn't the teabag "own" both QR and the rights to operate Lakeside?? Therefore, he should want to optimise the use of both venues from a business standpoint????
Yes, he has both rights. Just a matter of working how much folding stuff needs to be spent. How many meetings per year, Apperently he 's of to the old dart, could have gone to Vic, as Sandown and PI run under restrictions already. Money better spent on facilities one would think.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 08:19 (Ref:2029648)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Aaahh yeah! But you're good friends aren't you?
Oh yeah....Uncle Mikes a good fella....but does he snore