Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2268412)   #51
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Does anyone know if any Flag Point requested a lack of adhesion flag?? It is normal for other points to interject where necessary...however, if you have undisciplined chatter, these time-critical calls can sometimes be lost
Once upon a time Flaggies were able to think for themselves and show the appropriate flag but with all this bullsh%te with F1 and RC telling them what to do no one is confident anymore. As soon as they stop all this crap of RC telling flaggies to "wave the blue for" or wave the oil flag vigorously to tell drivers it is raining the better off motorsport will be, so dont go blaming the poor freezing flaggies for not doing the right thing because most are **** scared of getting casstigated by the DH's in RC for doing the RIGHT thing
Old 13 Aug 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2268683)   #52
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont agree ... PI is the issue at hand

Quote:
I think that should read "is VIC acceptable"....I have seen first hand some odd decisions and cock-ups made by Car Club officials running VIC meetings.

Anyone running meetings should have hard earned bona-vides...I agree with the comments about fluent Flaggie as well...

Does anyone know if any Flag Point requested a lack of adhesion flag?? It is normal for other points to interject where necessary...however, if you have undisciplined chatter, these time-critical calls can sometimes be lost
GTB, to widen the scope would only delay action at Phillip Island, where there have been incidents that should spark an inquiry.
I can only hope Dave has some success getting action.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2268756)   #53
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have seen first hand some odd decisions and cock-ups made by Car Club officials running VIC meetings.
I tend to agree with you GTB.

Some events are run by people who only run one or two events per year (not the recent PI one though) and it shows. Trouble is they believe they are doing well because they are looking at their own little world and not standing outside looking inwards like the rest of us.

I've reduced the number of events I work at from nearly everything in past years to being selective mainly due to the sheer cost of going to everything but I have to say my stress levels have reduced somewhat by choosing not to go to some of the smaller state level events where event command is left wanting.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2268889)   #54
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
One of the problems with most Aust tracks is that the Flag Points do not always have a line of sight between each other and Race control has to send a sector or a member from a flag point to check and confirm if there is a foreign substance on the racing line or track.
Normally if you suspect there is oil you put the flag out as a pre-cautional measure, seeing as they appear to have 1 per point, I can only imagine that they were trying to tell race control and frantically waving the yellow flag to get the appropriate flag out to warn of the "oil" on circuit.

It is hard to wave the yellow and also tell race control the position of the stranded car whilst trying to get out a second flag, it's hard to wave a flag whilst holding a stationary.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2268967)   #55
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cool
Normally if you suspect there is oil you put the flag out as a precautionary measure.
Yes, that's a good idea.

If in doubt hang it out. If there's no oil on the track you'll soon work it out and pull the flag back in....I recon it's OK to be safe and look like a bit of a quickdraw.

Can some of the drivers in here add comment about oil flags being out for a tiny patch of coolant, stones, grass, mud etc or because we wrongly suspect there's a problem..
Old 14 Aug 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2268978)   #56
aussiefveeracer
Rookie

Australia
aussiefveeracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MPA depends where the flag is displayed. At turn 1 at PI I'd treat it with the same respect as the yellow, which might bite my in the bum if I get passed and it turned out to be nothing. At a place like Honda, I'd probably try my luck but knowing to be ready to catch the car and extra alert.

No harm I say.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2269020)   #57
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Normally if you suspect there is oil you put the flag out as a pre-cautional measure, seeing as they appear to have 1 per point, I can only imagine that they were trying to tell race control and frantically waving the yellow flag to get the appropriate flag out to warn of the "oil" on circuit.

It is hard to wave the yellow and also tell race control the position of the stranded car whilst trying to get out a second flag, it's hard to wave a flag whilst holding a stationary.
I think you missed something there, look at most tracks were the flag points are. Go and stand in one and send a freind to the previous point and the next one.If you can see 100 % of the track and the flag point preceding and forward of you then you are halfway there. Yes it is hard waving a yellow, a green and with the head set on, (done this to many times to remeber). and to monitor the track and the flag points either side of me. My point again, not all tracks have flag points that can see each other. there in lies a problem in communicating to the drivers. Also, agree with other posts, if doubt put it out. but expect a *******ing from RC.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2269362)   #58
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
I think you missed something there, look at most tracks were the flag points are. Go and stand in one and send a freind to the previous point and the next one.If you can see 100 % of the track and the flag point preceding and forward of you then you are halfway there. Yes it is hard waving a yellow, a green and with the head set on, (done this to many times to remeber). and to monitor the track and the flag points either side of me. My point again, not all tracks have flag points that can see each other. there in lies a problem in communicating to the drivers. Also, agree with other posts, if doubt put it out. but expect a *******ing from RC.
If you start a meeting without line of sight then the stewards/chief haven't done their job.

When I work at state meetings i have no issues with putting flags (besides the red) out under my own discretion which is what they should be teaching, i have never gotten a lashing for putting a flag out, i think the problem is they don't have cameras to see it for themselves. Many times they ask you a load of questions so they can visualise where the car is which extends the time it takes to make a decision.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2269369)   #59
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
So is PI acceptable or should something done?
If this was a one off then you'd probably examine it and leave it at that but as has been pointed out this sort of thing has happened at the Island before. Remember a Victoria State or Island magic meeting a year or three back when Marshall's were ducking Formula Fords at T1 despite calls from the point to red flag. One flaggie after the race was so furious that his life was put in such risk he had to be restrained from going up and flattening someone.
After the race the CofC said he did not call the red because of "inappropriate and unofficial language." BTW who was CofC last weekend?
Old 15 Aug 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2269401)   #60
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you start a meeting without line of sight then the stewards/chief haven't done their job.

When I work at state meetings i have no issues with putting flags (besides the red) out under my own discretion which is what they should be teaching, i have never gotten a lashing for putting a flag out, i think the problem is they don't have cameras to see it for themselves. Many times they ask you a load of questions so they can visualise where the car is which extends the time it takes to make a decision.
I was discussing this last night with some friends of mine who have worked both track-side and in Race Control, and here is a typical scenario that should be how every incident should be handled:

"Flag-point X to Race control, we have a car spun, and is sitting on track edge drivers left"

" Race control to flag-point X, is the car in a dangerous position?"

" Flag-point X to race control yes it is in a dangerous position"

"Race control to all points, all points Red Flag, Red Flag Red Flag"

No nice in a perfect world BUT:

The problems are twofold: the quality of info FROM some communications points, AND the ability of those in Race Control to a) interpret this info, and b)their confidence in those on the ground. (translated: to not being on a power trip)

As has been mentioned, the once or twice a year C of C's are the worst offenders at this, because they simply don't have the experience in dealing with these incidents.

Make no mistake, from what I have seen; a Race Control is a stressful place at times, and yet a crew that know each other, are experienced, and importantly work well together, do make it look easy, even when incidents are going on all around them.

Just because, as a car club member you have done comms or been an assistant C of C each yearly meeting for the last 10 years doesn't mean you are competent.

The flaggie or firie or recovery guy/girl who has done 5 years, but attended 12 or more events each year does actually have a better handle on the situation. They do need to be listened to, and importantly, they can be trusted.

For all of the time spent, and money invested in the CAMS officials licencing/training program, over more than 12 years, it seems that the people on the ground are being trusted less and less.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 04:23 (Ref:2269421)   #61
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Doesn't help that when the V8s come to town they have that many cameras they can see when and what direction you sneeze.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 06:29 (Ref:2269434)   #62
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
If this was a one off then you'd probably examine it and leave it at that but as has been pointed out this sort of thing has happened at the Island before. Remember a Victoria State or Island magic meeting a year or three back when Marshall's were ducking Formula Fords at T1 despite calls from the point to red flag. One flaggie after the race was so furious that his life was put in such risk he had to be restrained from going up and flattening someone.
After the race the CofC said he did not call the red because of "inappropriate and unofficial language." BTW who was CofC last weekend?
Yer joking? Someone got a bit potty mouthed on the loop and the CoC spat it and left the F/Ford beached trackside for the field to hit on the next lap?

No, I have a hard time believing that.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2269525)   #63
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Quite correct IPL, it was Island Magic in 2006, cars were going everywhere and no red flag was called with cars stranded in the middle of turn one.

Because no red was called the cars came around on the next lap and had nowhere to go, it was absolute carnage, it was very very lucky that no one was killed.

Funnily though it all got hushed up.

I know this because my son was involved in the mayhem & damage that resulted from this pompous idiot in RC thinking that he was bigger than God and wouldn't or couldn't make a decision when he had a clear veiw from the tower.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2269543)   #64
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Quite correct IPL, it was Island Magic in 2006, cars were going everywhere and no red flag was called with cars stranded in the middle of turn one.

Because no red was called the cars came around on the next lap and had nowhere to go, it was absolute carnage, it was very very lucky that no one was killed.

Funnily though it all got hushed up.

I know this because my son was involved in the mayhem & damage that resulted from this pompous idiot in RC thinking that he was bigger than God and wouldn't or couldn't make a decision when he had a clear veiw from the tower.
If I recall correctly it was raised at CAMS State Board level, somewhere in the many boxes of tapes we have the footage. I remember Cade Southall was one of the cars that was off but there were a few caught out and yes it was very lucky no one was hurt or worse.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2269567)   #65
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is why I no longer have any officials licences, and do not do any trackside work.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2269574)   #66
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get back out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
This is why I no longer have any officials licences, and do not do any trackside work.
Whilst you may be critical of the way SOME meetings are run...as am I...they will never improve, but get worse, if experienced people (with the nouce) continue to walk away...

I have some Race Control experience....happy to head south on fuel vouchers
Old 15 Aug 2008, 13:22 (Ref:2269613)   #67
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quite simply, I was sick and tired of being told to do things in a dangerous manner, or being overruled by people who shouldn't have been in the position that there where in, other than for the club that they where members of. If the old school that runs cams in Vic goes, then I'll consider making a return.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2269894)   #68
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Quite simply, I was sick and tired of being told to do things in a dangerous manner, or being overruled by people who shouldn't have been in the position that there where in, other than for the club that they where members of. If the old school that runs cams in Vic goes, then I'll consider making a return.
Well continue to monitor the sit-a-u-ation....the other night, I went along to a quite encouraging, upbeat and common sense talk by NSW officials who outlined a "new deal" for clubs, competitors and to a certain extent, officials.

One new initiative is the appointment of regional officers so that people who in the past have felt isolated from the organisation will now have a local bloke to work through local issues and/or have a voice upstream.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2270072)   #69
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, UNTIL ALL VOLUNTEER MARSHALLS, TRACKSIDE AND RACE CONTROL COME UNDER ONE UNITED BODY BASED ON THE SES MODULE , WE WILL LOOSE QAULITY PEOPLE FROM ALL SIDES.

INSTEAD OF SHARING THE WORK LOAD, THERE SEEMS TO BE A SIMILAR POINT OF THE SAME PEOPLE DOING THE SAME JOB OVER A NUMBER OF YEARS WITHOUT ROTATING BACK THRU THE ROLES OF ALL MARSHALLS AND ASSOCIATED RACE MANAGEMENT.

I KNOW CAMS RUNS COURSES BUT AS, MARSHALLS AND OFFICIALS, WE DO NOT HAVE A SEPERATE BODY TO GOVERN, TAKE GREVIANCES TO, AND SET STANDARDS THAT MUST BE AHERED TO.

I HAVE NOTICED OVER THE PAST EIGHT YEARS THE NUMBERS DROP IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS, WITH THE ALL TO FAMILIAR COMPLAINTS.

TO AVOID INCIDENTS LIKE THIS, WE AS MARSHALLS, IN AUSTRALIA HAVE TO START THE BALL ROLLING. OTHERWISE WE WILL LOOSE MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE AND THAT CAN ONLY BE A BAD THING FOR MOTOSPORT.

I WILL POINT OUT THAT THE AFL WENT THRU THE SAME THING YEARS AGO, WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT FOLLOWING AFL. THEY SAT DOWN AND REWORKED A FEW THINGS AND PICKED THEMSELVES UP.

SO, WHY AREN'T WE DOING IT.??? WE ALL COMMENT ON IT , YET IT DOESN'T GET PAST FIRST BASE. ARE THERE A FEW EGO'S THAT MAY GET BRUISED?

AS AN OLD BOSS OF MINE SAID, IF WE LOOSE A FEW ON THE WAY , SO BE IT, BUT WE WILL GET TO WHERE WE WANT TO BE.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2270401)   #70
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
You may well be right...however...if you can get the disparate groups and individuals organised around Australia or even to speak with one voice or allow someone to speak on their behalf...good luck!

My suggestion is to lobby CAMS to help set up a Marshals/Officials association or group as a way of fostering their development, advertise officialing and training opportunities, provide a common set of standard operating procedures for the running of a meetings (including some aspects poorly adressed at the moment such as assessments) and to engender a sense of pride in being part of a nationally recognised group for officials.

A CAMS Officials Board Member is probably too much to expect but a representative to voice officials concerns, suggestions etc might be achievable.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2270421)   #71
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee i wouldnt mind flagging one meeting and then get the chance to drive the course car the next meeting (sharing the workload as FOMOCO suggests) there is 2 chances of that happening and Buckley has gone home!!! ...Dont live in a dreamworld FOMOCO sharing the workload will never happen as long as u have the BOYS CLUB from the South Island running things
Old 17 Aug 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2270707)   #72
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC
Gee i wouldnt mind flagging one meeting and then get the chance to drive the course car the next meeting (sharing the workload as FOMOCO suggests) there is 2 chances of that happening and Buckley has gone home!!! ...Dont live in a dreamworld FOMOCO sharing the workload will never happen as long as u have the BOYS CLUB from the South Island running things
Agreed!!! And probably the only way of getting them out would be a severe dose of lead poisoning between the eye's, as they say.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 07:43 (Ref:2272557)   #73
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, UNTIL ALL VOLUNTEER MARSHALLS, TRACKSIDE AND RACE CONTROL COME UNDER ONE UNITED BODY BASED ON THE SES MODULE , WE WILL LOOSE QAULITY PEOPLE FROM ALL SIDES.

INSTEAD OF SHARING THE WORK LOAD, THERE SEEMS TO BE A SIMILAR POINT OF THE SAME PEOPLE DOING THE SAME JOB OVER A NUMBER OF YEARS WITHOUT ROTATING BACK THRU THE ROLES OF ALL MARSHALLS AND ASSOCIATED RACE MANAGEMENT.

I KNOW CAMS RUNS COURSES BUT AS, MARSHALLS AND OFFICIALS, WE DO NOT HAVE A SEPERATE BODY TO GOVERN, TAKE GREVIANCES TO, AND SET STANDARDS THAT MUST BE AHERED TO.

I HAVE NOTICED OVER THE PAST EIGHT YEARS THE NUMBERS DROP IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS, WITH THE ALL TO FAMILIAR COMPLAINTS.

TO AVOID INCIDENTS LIKE THIS, WE AS MARSHALLS, IN AUSTRALIA HAVE TO START THE BALL ROLLING. OTHERWISE WE WILL LOOSE MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE AND THAT CAN ONLY BE A BAD THING FOR MOTOSPORT.

I WILL POINT OUT THAT THE AFL WENT THRU THE SAME THING YEARS AGO, WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT FOLLOWING AFL. THEY SAT DOWN AND REWORKED A FEW THINGS AND PICKED THEMSELVES UP.

SO, WHY AREN'T WE DOING IT.??? WE ALL COMMENT ON IT , YET IT DOESN'T GET PAST FIRST BASE. ARE THERE A FEW EGO'S THAT MAY GET BRUISED?

AS AN OLD BOSS OF MINE SAID, IF WE LOOSE A FEW ON THE WAY , SO BE IT, BUT WE WILL GET TO WHERE WE WANT TO BE.
psssst

caps lock
Old 21 Aug 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2272635)   #74
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Its OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience
psssst
caps lock
I'm sure he will calm down once he has vented