Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jul 2007, 00:36 (Ref:1967018)   #1
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another CAMS class we dont need.

The last thing that Australian Motorsport needs is another class to fill to go with the BMW Mini series as well & i discovered this gem on the Inpitlane site,

"A new level three series for V8 Supercars is currently in advanced planning and could make it's debut even before the year ends.

The new series for older V8 supercars is set to run as a part of the CAMS National series and may even make it's first appearance at Sandown in December.

Provisional rules for the new series will see the cars run with a reduction in maximum engine revs, new control aerodynamics to limit down-force and shorter races. All measures designed to cut the cost for competitors.

The new series will not only add to the thin quality of the current CAMS National series but has also been designed to put pressure on the AMRS Australian Touring Car Challenge.

Continued meetings regarding the new series took place in Queensland at the recent CAMS National round but should the concept get the go ahead the first race may run as a support to the Sandown GT enduro later this year before a full National series in 2008."
Old 19 Jul 2007, 00:45 (Ref:1967021)   #2
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When are they going to work out that not everyone wants to race V8 barges?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1967030)   #3
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What was that organisation called again? CAV8S?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1967033)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went hunting thru the thesaurus... if the Fujitsu series is the "Development" series, is this proposal the "embryo" one?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jul 2007, 01:22 (Ref:1967038)   #5
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to get 'em young before they have time to "develop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I went hunting thru the thesaurus... if the Fujitsu series is the "Development" series, is this proposal the "embryo" one?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 01:33 (Ref:1967040)   #6
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the powers that be getting in on the AMRS equivalent?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 02:12 (Ref:1967046)   #7
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is odd because a person highly positioned within one of the development series teams is talking about getting support for state-based series' in order to cut costs for teams.
I agree though: how many sedan classes can you have?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 03:17 (Ref:1967062)   #8
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again it seems that when they run out of ideas they look at NASCAR. Let see, NASCAR Local Racing.

Thou looking at it on a different level, is this an attack on V8 Giants?? At the start of year when they launched it, they said it was a place for all the old V8 cars, so maybe they're trying to reduce the influx of cars into that series.

This is really getting out of control the amount of new series getting started up at the moment, someone really has to put a stop to it and I'm not talking about CAMS, AASA or VE$A.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 03:32 (Ref:1967067)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Once again it seems that when they run out of ideas they look at NASCAR. Let see, NASCAR Local Racing.
Sprint-Nextel NASCAR Series
Busch NASCAR Series
Craftsman Trucks Series

... maybe they will build them into "V8Superutes" like GRM has in their shed...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jul 2007, 03:33 (Ref:1967068)   #10
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Thou looking at it on a different level, is this an attack on V8 Giants?? At the start of year when they launched it, they said it was a place for all the old V8 cars, so maybe they're trying to reduce the influx of cars into that series.
Reduce influx?? I've seen less cars in this years TCC than last years...
Old 19 Jul 2007, 03:42 (Ref:1967072)   #11
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When are this IDIOTS at CAMS going to wake the hell up... if this is true, it is clear that the gods to be within CAMS need to be punted.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 04:33 (Ref:1967091)   #12
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler
When are this IDIOTS at CAMS going to wake the hell up... if this is true, it is clear that the gods to be within CAMS need to be punted.
This is not new-- it has been needed for years. Most do not understand that Cams believe they are there to raise income for Cams( to do what exactly is hard to figure out) and what members want or need has nothing to do with it.
The things not needed are more one make series( Minis) and another Falcon/Holden category. What is needed is some stability of direction while the category schemozzle works it self out. Cams might also address the issue of circuits-- in case they have not noticed nearly half the circuits in Australia are or have already ditched Cams.Unless they come to terms with that and understand the ramifications for it's members Cams may just make themselves redundant.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 04:39 (Ref:1967098)   #13
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So maybe it will come down to CAMS being an arm of AVESCO and only associated with V8Supertaxie's and nothing else? It seems thats all that are interested in supporting!

I think it should be the case and then have the wider Australian motorsport fraternity come together and support a governing body who is prepared to do the hard yards and develop the classes we have got, rather than introducing a new bloody series or class every 6 months

Go the Datto!!!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 05:01 (Ref:1967106)   #14
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, i cant really see where there'd be room. Surely cant they just give more support for an existing series, whether thats the V8 utes, FF/F3 or another national level series? I'd love to see something like Sports Sedans get some top level support, although that would probably kill it on the grass roots level.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 07:02 (Ref:1967137)   #15
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Hmm, i cant really see where there'd be room. Surely cant they just give more support for an existing series, whether thats the V8 utes, FF/F3 or another national level series? I'd love to see something like Sports Sedans get some top level support, although that would probably kill it on the grass roots level.
Who is "they" ? Where does the money and the competitors come from? Your conclusion--- "that would probably kill it on the grass roots level" -- well- you got that right. So where would future competitors come from? out of the mini series ? What a great vision Cams have! I dont't think!!!
The real danger is that ALL the long term members,participants etc that have funded Cams get no say in any of this. What happens to all those cars etc
I reckon that it is about time the "professional" end of motorsport started paying it's way-- the sport runs on volunteer's - who Cams exploit by selling their services and pocketing the money! To do what-- keep the paid hierachy afloat. Something wrong with that equation.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1967317)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
would have thought it was about time this was introduced

the main series has full fields, the secondary series has full fields and then there are all these left over vehicles ie EB's AU's VP's VT's that will soon be sitting around doing nothing.

Surely we have to offer a series for all the older cars to run in
Old 19 Jul 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1967428)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a place for them to run, the Touring Car Challenge in the AMRS.

With a few modifications there is even a CAMS series for them to run in, Sports Sedans.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 13:13 (Ref:1967434)   #18
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Is this more likely to be a "middle-age" or "retirement" series?

Last edited by Rombles1; 19 Jul 2007 at 13:15.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 15:51 (Ref:1967596)   #19
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd much rather have the utes run a season with races as long as the supercars. 8 laps just isn't fun
Old 20 Jul 2007, 06:34 (Ref:1968057)   #20
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh goody, another Ford vs Holden taxi series....

As far as finding new uses for old cars? Sports Sedans comes to mind...
Old 20 Jul 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1968067)   #21
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much are these outdated cars selling for just out of interest?
Old 20 Jul 2007, 23:12 (Ref:1968742)   #22
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever it was, the price just doubled now their is another "official" retirement home for these things.

Let's see, Development series is started to give Supercar teams somewhere to off load thier old junk, now Development series teams are looking for the same thing? Why? Because they can only sell so many to other Development teams ebfore they are outdated too?

Could this be market saturation? GTR?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:00 (Ref:1968763)   #23
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is interesting as i had thought this would have happened sooner... certainly there are many now-outdated supercars sitting around in sheds that would make very good mid-field sports sedans at present and that is about it...

Here is my thought - feel free to take a pot shot at it, but here goes...

In my home pond, State level motor racing is struggling in a fairly serious manner - fields are down, and interest in events are dwindling. My idea is that instead of another V8 Supercar series that hardly anyone can afford to compete in, make it more state level based and more grass roots.

Why not have a state touring car (nee v8 supercar) championship in each state or in a combination of states ? This would assist in heightening interest in state level competition, plus make it (if slightly) more affordable, and create a better 'ladder' in the v8 structure. Reduce the costs in terms of the car spec, so state teams can afford to run the cars.

I am old enough to remember the old AMSCAR / Better Brakes series ran at Amaroo.. like a secondary touring car championship in the 80's... A similar concept could work well for the aging supercars.. maybe like have a four or five round series on the east coast - Oran Park, Queensland Raceway, Winton, etc as the 'interstate challenge' for those that show pace at state level.

Having a third tier does have it's advantages - accessability for those that can't afford Fujitsu, a use for aging equipment (as long as prices of said equipment aren't increased because of the retirement factor) and a stepping stone to Fujitsu. I am sure we here all agree that their are some drivers in the Fujitsu series that plan out shouldnt be there - they simply arent good enough and some are over 40 years of age.. this is not "development"... rattling around 5 seconds off the pace playing 'racing driver' simply because they can afford to pay their way in ???

Perhaps the third 'tier' can also act as an assessment mechanism of driver capability rather than running people who blind freddy can see are so far out of their depth it is not funny, and are only there because they have the money to do so and are taking up a grid slot that someone younger, better, faster, fitter etc could be taking in a bid to launch one's career...

A few years ago, the Main game guys were whining about this very issue - David Thexton was the example - perhaps it is time the 'development' series looked at the very same issue...
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:30 (Ref:1968770)   #24
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tired of tin-tops, although Wood-Ducks suggestion sounds good. Perhaps all the state championships could meet up once a year at Bathurst (BIMF?).

What we need is affordable open-wheelers with Wings and Slicks.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:32 (Ref:1968771)   #25
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck
I am sure we here all agree that their are some drivers in the Fujitsu series that plan out shouldnt be there - they simply arent good enough...
There's even a couple in the main game that fit this description.