Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 5 Dec 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2995657)   #1176
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Yikes. The BBC-Sky lineups are changing by the minute.

I'm not sure I like the way Mark Blundell keeps resurfacing.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2995664)   #1177
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark Blundell to SKY?

Surely not! This is what he said only 7 months ago:

Blundell: Pay-per-view F1 didn't work before – and won't work now

“Pay-per-view is nothing new for F1 in the UK,” the 44-year-old said, “We’ve seen it before and it didn’t work, basically. I think it would be a crying shame if it went to that – I think it should be free-to-air access, and I think that’s probably what appeals to most of the sponsors and manufacturers."

What could possibly have changed in such a short time?

The following link refers: http://www.markblundell.com/news/new...news_id=168771
Old 5 Dec 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2995666)   #1178
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lots of £££££££
Old 5 Dec 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2995667)   #1179
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Here's Jenson's contribution from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAF2YnpH1I&sns=fb
Old 5 Dec 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2995680)   #1180
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
If they can get Anthony Davidson he'll be more than a match for Brundle, but he's very keen on his sports car racing so I'm not sure to what extent he'll commit.
I quite agree and would love to see him alongside DC. Davidson is abit sharper than Brundle when covering on radio 5 live and I think he would make a great lead commentator. Not sure how rich Davidson is and if the money would attract him, then again the BBC are poor and I doubt they'll be offering multi million pound salaries but stranger things have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Here's Jenson's contribution from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAF2YnpH1I&sns=fb
Saw this earlier today. Lots of pro BBC banter, love it lol.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Dec 2011 at 19:33.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2995689)   #1181
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BTW everyone it is Steve Rider.
I like him, a good anchor. I have a lot of time for him from back in 1994 when he anchored the Imola programme. He is a consummate professional. A different style to Jake. And he does know the sport, as Paradise says.

Simon Lazenby. I am a fan of him from Rugby on sky, he is more Jake style. I would like this. His quiff is something to follow and I reckon he'll get them all in the bar afterwards. A bit like a tin tin that has the odd drink! He has fun with the others on rugby club.

Blundell. Top bloke, but his talents don't lie in presenting. You have to be able to string a sentence together and what he done did isn't that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Saw this earlier today. Lots of pro BBC banter, love it lol.
Everyone holds it in great affection and rightly so. Not only has it covered the sport in a fantastic manner over the last two years after the wilderness ITV years, but it originally built the sport up through the '80s and '90s in the UK.

Quote:
I quite agree and would love to see him alongside DC. Davidson is abit sharper than Brundle when covering on radio 5 live and I think he would make a great lead commentator. Not sure how rich Davidson is and if the money would attract him, then again the BBC are poor and I doubt they'll be offering multi million pound salaries but stranger things have happened.
Multi-million pound salary for Davidson? To speak? If they give him that at least he'll be able to afford sky.

I like Ant, but he doesn't have it for me to be the lead commentator.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2995700)   #1182
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
BTW everyone it is Steve Rider.
I like him, a good anchor. I have a lot of time for him from back in 1994 when he anchored the Imola programme. He is a consummate professional. A different style to Jake. And he does know the sport, as Paradise says.

Simon Lazenby. I am a fan of him from Rugby on sky, he is more Jake style. I would like this. His quiff is something to follow and I reckon he'll get them all in the bar afterwards. A bit like a tin tin that has the odd drink! He has fun with the others on rugby club.

Blundell. Top bloke, but his talents don't lie in presenting. You have to be able to string a sentence together and what he done did isn't that.

Everyone holds it in great affection and rightly so. Not only has it covered the sport in a fantastic manner over the last two years after the wilderness ITV years, but it originally built the sport up through the '80s and '90s in the UK.

Multi-million pound salary for Davidson? To speak? If they give him that at least he'll be able to afford sky.

I like Ant, but he doesn't have it for me to be the lead commentator.
Agreed about Steve Rider.

Don't know Simon Lazenby, but will take your word about him.

Agreed about Mark Blundell, too. He's not suitable. Isn't there a parody blog supposedly by him on Sniff Petrol?

I was thinking of Ant Davidson as the colour commentator, not main, much as he has been on red button free practice shows. Still concerned that he may not be able to commit due to Peugeot obligations - the guy is still an active racing driver, but he and Karun Chandhok may be able to alternate.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2995704)   #1183
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So to summarise on the basis of rumour and broad hints from the autosport awards

Sky
Main Presenter: Lazenby
Primary Pundit: ???
Commentator: ?? David Croft??
CO-Commentator: Martin Brundle

Pits: ?? Ted Kravitz??

Archive/Legends Show
Presenter: Steve Rider
With in some way: Mark Blundell

EJ somewhere in the Sky Mix, possibly along side Tony Jardine

BBC
Presenter: Jake Humphry
Primary Pundit: David Coulthard
Secondary Pundit (likely for live races only): ?????

Commentator: ?? Ben Edwards rumour won't go away??
Co-Commentator: David Coulthard

Pits: ????????

More screen time on BBC features & Shared Driver Interviews: Lee McKenzie
Old 5 Dec 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2995719)   #1184
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are there actual Ben Edwards rumours or is it just me banging on about him. If he gets the gig I'll be thrilled.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2995727)   #1185
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
And I'm glad to have been a viewer through those era's. If the BBC continue covering the sport for many years come, I can't see that reputation disappearing.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2995728)   #1186
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ben Edwards at the BBC would be a superb addition to the team. Here's hoping!
Old 5 Dec 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2995732)   #1187
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Are there actual Ben Edwards rumours or is it just me banging on about him. If he gets the gig I'll be thrilled.
According to those on DigiSpy it's pretty much a done deal
Old 5 Dec 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2995753)   #1188
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Again, agreed. Sky might not get my money and I might ask to change my vote.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2995776)   #1189
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
So to summarise on the basis of rumour and broad hints from the autosport awards

Sky
Main Presenter: Lazenby
Primary Pundit: ???
Commentator: ?? David Croft??
CO-Commentator: Martin Brundle

Pits: ?? Ted Kravitz??

Archive/Legends Show
Presenter: Steve Rider
With in some way: Mark Blundell

EJ somewhere in the Sky Mix, possibly along side Tony Jardine

BBC
Presenter: Jake Humphry
Primary Pundit: David Coulthard
Secondary Pundit (likely for live races only): ?????

Commentator: ?? Ben Edwards rumour won't go away??
Co-Commentator: David Coulthard

Pits: ????????

More screen time on BBC features & Shared Driver Interviews: Lee McKenzie
That's pretty much my understanding too - not claiming to be an insider or anything but that's what I've read. Only other thing I'd add is Mansell as Sky Primary Pundit, as suggested by one or more of the papers in recent weeks

If EJ is departing on his merry way, I guess BBC Secondary Pundit could be Senna if he doesn't get the drive, as he has appeared already this year. Either him or Chandhok. But that's speculation on my part

No idea about Five Live, though. Lead comm could well be just another regular Five Live bod, as Croft was (IIRC) when he was hired back in 2006. Or maybe Legard, I suppose

Quote:
Genuine rumour. And it would be great, yes. Would be worth me watching the race live on Sky and then the highlights on the Beeb just to hear how he does

Leigh Diffey was also linked to that role a few weeks ago
Old 5 Dec 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2995795)   #1190
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
If Mansell's on Sky that's me definitely headed towards the Beeb!
Old 6 Dec 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2995820)   #1191
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Fortunately we won't have to wait too long before we found out who is doing what with regard to Sky's F1 line up.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2995893)   #1192
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if we'll get some confirmation about support race coverage tomorrow as well
Old 6 Dec 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2995911)   #1193
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Sky will be shooting themselves in the foot if they take on EJ.

They say they are aiming at the 'hardcore' fan with their new channel etc, so A: It undermines the integrity of the broadcast and B: i can't see how charging the people who are most vocal about him, to watch his rambles are in any way condusive to sales of sky boxes.....
Old 6 Dec 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2995919)   #1194
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Sky will be shooting themselves in the foot if they take on EJ.

They say they are aiming at the 'hardcore' fan with their new channel etc, so A: It undermines the integrity of the broadcast and B: i can't see how charging the people who are most vocal about him, to watch his rambles are in any way condusive to sales of sky boxes.....
I've warmed to EJ over the past season as I find him humourous and enjoy the way he asks questions the others wouldn't dare. Questions the fans would ask infact. If he goes to Sky it'll be the BBC's loss and I think I'd miss his input more than Brundles to be honest.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2995922)   #1195
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've warmed to EJ over the past season as I find him humourous and enjoy the way he asks questions the others wouldn't dare. Questions the fans would ask infact. If he goes to Sky it'll be the BBC's loss and I think I'd miss his input more than Brundles to be honest.
Have to agree with the EJ part of this and disagree about the Brundel part.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2995954)   #1196
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't know about anyone else but the suggested slate of Sky pundits seem pretty awful.

EJ is a tough question. You do get hard questions from him but the trade off is the comic persona that's hard to watch. All in all I think he's handled well by the BBC. I doubt Sky will know what to do with him. A Tony Jardine and EJ combo sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

I quite like Mansell's quirks and Blundell is a good guy but pundits as per suggestions? I'm not so sure.

Mind you, if it is Croft, Brundle and Kravitz doing their thing then we can count on order in the commentary box.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2995956)   #1197
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Have to agree with the EJ part of this and disagree about the Brundel part.
I simply think the BBC will find a suitable replacement for Brundle. They have too, and that person needs to know their stuff. I'll miss his input but life goes on. He's moved on and so will the viewers. I just think EJ is a character that is difficult to replace and more so than Brundle.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2995963)   #1198
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've always been a big Martin Brundle fan, since I suppose his days in Formula three. I followed his career through Formula One, and then sportscars with interest.
When he started to be involved with the TV coverage of Grand Prix I was very pleased, and have always enjoyed his humour and drivers incite into what was happening. Generally I record the race coverage as I'm usually working (or can't justify the time to watch all of it live). Usually I fast forward through all of the preamble, but start watching from his grid walk onwards (fast forwarding the race if it's not interesting).
Initially I was quite dissapointed that he's moving to be part of the Sky F1 team, as there's no way I can justify paying what it would cost me to watch. I'll be sticking with whatever the BBC can provide, or scouring the internet.
Last night however I watched on You Tube extracts from the Autosports Awards Ceremony, the first being the Steve Rider / Martin Brundle one. Now, I accept that this was a slightly less formal affair than a 'proper' TV show, and maybe there'd been a bit of drinking involved, but not only did it lack the chemistry I remember from my youth when Graham Hill & Jackie Stewart appeared together, but I also felt that Mr Brundle came across as rather 'up himself', (getting a bit too big for his boots) and now I'm not so upset that I'll be missing him. I know that thius is a snap decision based on a few minutes of video, but it's how I feel at the moment.
Off topic, but I must also say that in clips from the same event I thought that Jenson Button was very entertaining and my frostiness towards our current World Champion has also thawed slightly!
Old 6 Dec 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2995984)   #1199
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
I agree with those supporting EJ. I'd like the BBC to stick with him.

Brundle is excellent but he's taken the shilling so good luck, I can understand, he has an expensive hobby in LM2 and a son's racing career to support. I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

What I'd like the BBC to do is understand that the current cars are SO different from anything Brundle raced that Ant and Karun give a far better appreciation to the audience (usually on 5 live or red button) of what the drivers are going through.

I dare say there are other young F1 drivers out there who could also do an excellent job, and those would also be far preferable to me than the putative SKY lineup.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2995989)   #1200
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I agree with those supporting EJ. I'd like the BBC to stick with him.

Brundle is excellent but he's taken the shilling so good luck, I can understand, he has an expensive hobby in LM2 and a son's racing career to support. I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

What I'd like the BBC to do is understand that the current cars are SO different from anything Brundle raced that Ant and Karun give a far better appreciation to the audience (usually on 5 live or red button) of what the drivers are going through.

I dare say there are other young F1 drivers out there who could also do an excellent job, and those would also be far preferable to me than the putative SKY lineup.
I fully agree with that.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky