Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3061277)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Open letter to F.O.M

Alright chaps,

After China, i have finally had enough of the endless startline replays that seem to be growing like a cancer between laps 2-4 of the Grand Prix so i gone done a letter to Bernie's cronies:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am becoming increasingly disheartened with a certain aspect of your
Formula One coverage (FOM World feed).

Over the past few seasons, i have noticed an increase in the number of
startline/first corner replays shown during the opening laps of a
Grand Prix. This weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix was a prime example of
the problem in my eyes. Mid-way through Lap 3 of the GP, just as ‘DRS’
was enabled, the director preceded to show 1 minute and 50 seconds
worth of replays of the start/first corner. It is worth bearing in
mind that a lap of Shanghai International Circuit is around 1m40s, so
we were effectively missing 1 and a bit laps what is unarguably a
crucial stage of the race.

Granted, in this instance, there were several shuffles of position
that needed covering, but i feel that an aerial view and perhaps an
onboard would be adequate. As a fan/viewer, i acknowledge what has
happened but i am far more interested in what is happening ‘live’.

It is wonderful that the sport is being captured in so many new
angles, but i feel that this level of analysis should be something
left to the discretion of the national broadcaster’s to use after the
race when there is ample time to digest them in depth.

I don’t expect a reply, i just ask that this is passes under the nose
of a member of your production team for consideration.

Yours sincerely,

Peat
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine has used this as a template of a letter to F1Racing magazine. Viva la Revolution!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:57 (Ref:3061278)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Very good point.

I did notice this in China, too. It'd be nice to hold off on those replays for about, 4-5 laps, at least.

Selby
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3061280)   #3
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I couldn't agree more! Another thing that gets me is when the director has a shot of a team representative relevant to the car under attack/attacking. I know this builds tension at the start, yet half the time we miss half of the overtake due to cutting to a team rep.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:40 (Ref:3061300)   #4
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And could use be made of split screen or picture within picture when there is an important pitstop and a battle on the track at the sametime?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3061301)   #5
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't they just do split screen?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3061305)   #6
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Can only agree with Peat's sentiments here!
At least let the GP get ten laps in.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3061337)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Can only agree with Peat's sentiments here!
At least let the GP get ten laps in.
And when something happens on lap 11 everyone will be bleating about how they didn't see it due to start replays.

As for split-screen, isn't that what the Sky "Red Button" is for?
Old 18 Apr 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3061344)   #8
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post

well, picture in picture
Old 18 Apr 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3061355)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Someone suggested to me that i should just switch over to an onboard feed when the replays start. I will certainly be doing this until they get thier act together.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3061409)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
And when something happens on lap 11 everyone will be bleating about how they didn't see it due to start replays.

Not available in Australia.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3061440)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Nor for Virgin viewers.

Selby
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3061448)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
suggest adding a "ps" at the end regarding far too many shots of nicole shi... scherzinger in moments of hamilton related tension. every time they cut to her i secretly hope she's picking her nose or yawning
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3061460)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Agreed, bella.

Or just any random 'celebs' I know/care NOTHING of/about.

And have nothing to do with F1, whatsoever.

Selby
Old 18 Apr 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3061512)   #14
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate it when they interview a driver who has retired in the middle of a race. Rather than just having their voice over the top of the action, or indeed having a small screen within a screen, the producers insist on cutting to a mugshot of said driver being interviewed by Lee McKenzie (other presenters/broadcasters available).

I know what the drivers look like, and my ability to listen to them isn't related to my being able to see them!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3061513)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
suggest adding a "ps" at the end regarding far too many shots of nicole shi... scherzinger in moments of hamilton related tension. every time they cut to her i secretly hope she's picking her nose or yawning
Other's are hoping she's feeling a bit warm and decides to strip off
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3061599)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm waiting for the time they cut to her on the warm-up lap and John Button is saying "No, they haven't started yet".

On the topic of the thread. I agree, they show too much and too early. Show a reply a little later when it has settled down more, if it has! And maybe show the reply of a particular drive later if they've followed him for a bit.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3061709)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i cant say it bothers me too much and if something special happens during that replay they will show later as a replay...hopefully. of course all of this could be solved by multiple feeds via an online subscription unfortunately the circus found easier ways to make money of us.

what i do miss, and i cant remember at what track they have it at but it might have been indy, but they used to have this amazing camera that would launch down the track at ground level and follow the start to the run down into turn 1. loved that shot and wish that it was incorporated into all the new tracks but no such luck...i hope thats not something that i made up.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3061716)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Why can't they do a split screen? For all the glamorous gizmos you think they'd master the split screen. Show both the replay and the live-action at once. I have to think of everything for FOM I really do.

I don't really mind. What I HATE - HATE - HATE is looking at relatives during the action. The director loves leering at the relatives. It's not confined to motorracing either, it there in alot of sports. Nicole S. should give the camera the two fingers. That stop that carry-on dead in its tracks.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3061723)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Nor for Virgin viewers.
Works for me on my TiVo. No idea about the V+ though.

I'm often out on a GP Sunday (something to do with UK motorsport) so I recorded the Chinese GP and watched it last night. I was yelling at the TV after the third camera change of the start replays. Very very annoying.

The red button doesn't work on recordings either... And yes I know why :-)
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3061726)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It annoys me too, the replays seem almost obligatory, even if the start was uneventful when the racing's good.

If the replays really, really must be shown, why don't they show them all in the Valencia Grand Prix so we don't have to watch it.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3061727)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't really mind. What I HATE - HATE - HATE is looking at relatives during the action. The director loves leering at the relatives. It's not confined to motorracing either, it there in alot of sports.
haha i just brought this up about Button in another thread. i cant put my finger on it but sometimes i hate it and sometimes i love it.

for example seeing the emotion on massa's dad's face at brazil in 2008 is an absolutely iconic image...it said everything that needs to be said about sports and competition, joy and sorrow, without anyone ever having to ruin it with commentary.

i think on the whole it adds to the show for me.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3061741)   #22
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
haha i just brought this up about Button in another thread. i cant put my finger on it but sometimes i hate it and sometimes i love it.

for example seeing the emotion on massa's dad's face at brazil in 2008 is an absolutely iconic image...it said everything that needs to be said about sports and competition, joy and sorrow, without anyone ever having to ruin it with commentary.

i think on the whole it adds to the show for me.
I quite like it when the camera focuses on Nicole Scherzinger, and I can pick my finger on why. She's a lot sexier than a modern Formula One car.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3061744)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
haha too true!

its a mystery why anyone would complain about her appearance when its clearly her singing that should be driving people mad!
Old 19 Apr 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3061834)   #24
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree far too much of Nicole, but more of Jenson's girlfriend Jessica would be nice.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3061841)   #25
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
can't they just do split screen?
I like this idea. Keep the live racevon the screen at all times, but maybe split the screen or go picture-in-picture with replays, interviews, and whatever else.

I might go one further and ask for something I see with IndyCar coverage - break up tbd screen during commercials with the live race in a small window. That might be up yo the network broadcasting the race, though.