Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Jul 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2500578)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Valve spring coil bind question?

I have been checking the coil spring clearance on a new engine I am building with a .645" inlet valve lift with 1.5 rockers (quite a stout roller cam). The springs are well up to the job with titanium retainers so I am not expecting any float however searching the net its obvious some people are getting their lines crossed with how much clearance you should have before the spring goes close to bound. On the Iskaderian site for example they say as long as you can get 10 thou feeler between the coils with the valve fully open which if stacked up would give a total of 60thou clearance then you are OK others seem to think its 60 thou between coils.

Can anyone throw any light on this as I have calulated I have about 100 thou before it binds but can only get a 25 thou feeler between the coils. I feel this is about right especially with the very stout springs and light titanium retainers but would appreciate an opinion.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2500638)   #2
ian_w
Racer

England
Towcester
ian_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 to 1.5 mm total clearance is the minimum you would aim for. Your 100 thou ( 2.5mm ) will be fine.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2500644)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Ian, I can get on installing the thing now, I thought it seemed OK but it was the conflicting comments I found on the net that were confusing.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2502326)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Because I was forever breaking valve springs until I found the right ones I was always changing them in the pits. As we didn't have time to shim them to length I made a tool to lever the rocker arm down when it was on full lift. As long as it had a gnats knob more travel in that position it was OK and I never had a problem.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Jul 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2502407)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No this has a lot more than a knats knobs worth I would say conservatively 100 thou probably more like 120.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2502449)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Its always best to have more clearance and if your engine isn't a high rever they don't need to be that close to coil binding. About 90lbs on the seat is what I use.
Also Al it depends how big the gnat is !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Jul 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2502513)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I will limit it to about 7500 but its probably good for 8000 it should make power up there as well as its quite a stout roller cam.