Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Oct 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2556947)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New Vauxhall Astra

Vauxhall had the new Astra on the stands at Brands Hatch. For your standard hatchback, I think this car's on the high quality side.

I initially (from pictures) thought it was an oversized Fiesta, but up close it's lines are probably more similar to the Fiat Bravo or SEAT Leon - but with cue's from the new Insignia.

It's a shame GM's had to sell the Vauxhall/Opel company just as their cars are starting to get exceptional.

The interior is where this car excels, it's very high quality (the trim on show was the SRi, so near top) - many cubby holes and a very smart dashboard.

I think the rear three quarter view is it's best angle - the front's a little plain but still a lot sleeker than the old Astra.

They're currently discussing the VXR - which is about two years off, but hopefully will be very aggressive according to Vauxhall's Product Manager who I spoke to. Will carry a 2.2 when it does come out.

For environmentalists, a £35 VED car will be out soon - there will almost certainly be one that creeps into the 'free' band as well.

A couple of snaps from the day.

Vauxhall have got a neat viral site up running a lot of promotion who were there on the day aswell which is worth looking at - www.torqueastra.com - or it's on the Vauxhall site itself of course now.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 02:08 (Ref:2558657)   #2
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe its an Opel astra

http://www2.opel.de/astra/

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 12 Oct 2009, 05:47 (Ref:2559478)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a Holden Astra any more - we will eventually get a hatch version of the Cruze
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2561390)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For what it's worth, GM still owns part of Vauxhall/Opel and will still design and develope the cars. Magna is pretty much just an investor.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 00:32 (Ref:2561648)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i only just got to drive the existing astra, and i was surprised by the quality of that. it was a 1.6 petrol, and surprisingly quick when required to be. the interior was nice (though it took me 2 days of solid arsing around with the levers attached to the seat to change it from school chair to comfortable car setting), i thought it was very convenient that my tomtom wedged perfectly into the radio/climate/temperature display, and there were enough places to put all my assorted junk without forgetting where it had gone.

as for the new one - in that picture to me the dash looks a bit hectic, there's too much chrome to get a clear look at the dials! and cleaning out the biscuit and crisp crumbs from the steering wheel is going to be a pain in the arse! it still looks pretty good from the outside though, albeit a tiny bit too corsa at the front end?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2562342)   #6
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The interior looks much better than in the old one (learned in that 4 years ago...thought it looked and felt pretty cheap). But every time I see a picture of the exterior I forget what it looks like after about 10 seconds. That's why I believe it won't be the car that saves Opel/Vauxhall.
Old 27 Dec 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2605414)   #7
StephNET
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
StephNET should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One slight problem with the new Astra. Where is the 3 door model? Everything I can see suggests that Vauxhall/Opel are only doing a 5 door model.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 23:19 (Ref:2606598)   #8
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's coming in early 2011.