Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:32 (Ref:420336)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone new title sponsor!

No details, but they just made the announcement!
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:34 (Ref:420339)   #2
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Announcement 1, what else to follow?
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:40 (Ref:420342)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think announcement 1 was given by Fernandez on Friday... I"d expect the bulk of the announcements to be made after Mexico actually. But a few here would be good! Anyway, Cart's stock shot up towards the end of hte week if that's any sign. Hopefully this weekend will at least convince the D&Gers that Cart's not going anywhere.

Welcome Bridgestone!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:43 (Ref:420344)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good. thats one out of the way.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:59 (Ref:420353)   #5
Dave S
Racer

Right, actually this would be 3. Forgot also about Gentilosi/Rocketsports entry.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 20:04 (Ref:420355)   #6
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, right
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:06 (Ref:420373)   #7
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody else believe the so called new "european team" Pook's talked about to be Racing Engineering from the Telefonica series with Justin Wilson? Or is there still an F3000 team moving over? Is Dale Coyne going to run Darren Manning at Mexico City? (CART should be helping to make sure this happens, and turn out a 400K attendence and kick arse tv ratings).

Last edited by Tiresmoke; 2 Nov 2002 at 21:07.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:11 (Ref:420376)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that whoever is coming from Europe is going to run an American in the car. Don't know who.

Luis Diaz is standing by in case Fernandez can't drive in Mexico. Fernandez said they have got to have a Mexican in the car. He'll be tested next weekend and they'll decide for sure as soon as possible.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:44 (Ref:420389)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently, a team based on key members of Supernova will grid up in 2003...it's all rumour, but according to Australian Motorsport News, Kenny Brack could be driving alongside Ricardo Zonta in a David Sears run team.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:52 (Ref:420395)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I heard that whoever is coming from Europe is going to run an American in the car. Don't know who.
I'm still hoping it's Red Bull. If they want people to know who the hell Paul Edwards is when he goes to F1, they need to run him for a year in CART, and at Indy.

I mean, if they stick with Cheever, it'd be pretty easy to just stuff Paul into a third car for Indy. They could run Paul and someone like Zonta, Bernouldi or Enge in the team car in CART.

The whole idea is to give American audiences a Red Bull sponsored challenger in F1... But people won't even watch if they don't know who Paul is!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 Nov 2002 at 21:58.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 22:08 (Ref:420406)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
BRIDGESTONE

Tell me that isn't great news!

From CART.com:

A new series logo and official name are being jointly developed and are expected to be revealed at the CART season-ending banquet.

A television support campaign is tied to the arrangement, with Bridgestone brand advertising and in-car cameras during race broadcasts a part of the total package. Additional plans are in development to enhance the value of the Bridgestone-CART relationship through Bridgestone retail outlets in the United States and other countries.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 23:16 (Ref:420449)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last part about the "retail outlets" is what I like to see. It's what Pook was saying last week, that we need a sponsor that can interact with the fans.

I don't have a car and never buy tires, but I'll go to their outlets and support them however I can!
Old 2 Nov 2002, 23:27 (Ref:420456)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That's the part that struck me as being of the most significance too, Liz. At first I was curious if they would provide the tires to the teams free-of-charge, but that isn't going to be the case. The current leasing deals will remain in place. The tires are leased to the teams at approx $400/per, and must be returned to Bridgestone.

I was just browsing the Bridgestone website, and again I've learned something. "Because race tires are subject to much higher operating temperatures, the air to inflate them is filtered to remove moisture. Moisture inside a race tire could become steam, creating potential problems. Most teams actually replace this filtered air with nitrogen."

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/racin....asp?id=bscart

What could be truly beneficial to CART would be if Bridgestone included the series in some of their international television promos. Something that FedEx never did. In fact, FedEx was rather lame, weren't they? Ten million trucks filling city streets across the world, and not one of them (that I've seen) mentioned CART in any way. So many potential travelling billboards!
Old 3 Nov 2002, 00:16 (Ref:420472)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news. That's all I can say!
Old 3 Nov 2002, 01:46 (Ref:420491)   #15
Liz
Veteran

There are the "wheels go round" commercials that Bridgestone does now with the cars of the Bridgestone Racing School. Maybe they can make some "zoom zoom" kind of adverts with CART cars.

I have just received the transcript of the Bridgestone press conference; if anyone wants to read it, give me an e-mail addy and I'll send it. It's too long to post but is quite good.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 02:01 (Ref:420493)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Just read it on cart.com, sounds like it should be a great partnership.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Nov 2002, 03:42 (Ref:420521)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Interesting read. Turns out Bridgestone will be the presenting sponsor, not the title sponsor. CART is still looking for someone to fill those shoes.

And the contract is only for one season.

Somebody hit Bridgestone's Al Speyer with an interesting question. "There's been a projection that Ford would be the title sponsor. The realignment of Ford and Bridgestone/Firestone would be ironic, would it not?"

Thanks for the email offer, Liz, but it's been put up on CART.com.
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5090
Old 3 Nov 2002, 03:56 (Ref:420524)   #18
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like ,I like.
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 3 Nov 2002, 10:44 (Ref:420608)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I don't have a car and never buy tires, but I'll go to their outlets and support them however I can!
-Come on Liz! A sheet of glass and a small stack of tyres makes a fantastic coffee table and great talk piece!

Teriffic news for the series, but I wonder what it really entails? Free tyres for competitors?
Old 3 Nov 2002, 12:39 (Ref:420661)   #20
Liz
Veteran

No, they asked about the free tires and that's not it. I think they are essentially going to be a marketing partner, helping sell Champ Cars to the general public.

I was thinking last night that another good "presenting sponsor" would be U-Haul or Ryder; have you seen their trucks? They always have some scene painted on them that illustrates their place of origin. Think of having each one carry a profile of a Champ Car and information about the team! So you go to rent a truck and ask "Which other teams have you got? I'm not driving a truck with Mikey on it!"
Old 3 Nov 2002, 12:49 (Ref:420671)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Can you image how PO'ed Penske would be if CART and U-Haul got together?!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 3 Nov 2002 at 12:50.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 20:34 (Ref:420913)   #22
Dave S
Racer

Puck Fenske!

Last edited by Dave S; 3 Nov 2002 at 20:35.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:10 (Ref:421067)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excuse me, but what is Penske? I don't believe I've ever heard that name before.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:11 (Ref:421070)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Anyone else notice the increased number of Bridgestone logos? They're small ones, but I don't remember there being so many before. Especially on the Players cars?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 01:54 (Ref:421111)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I'm about 6 months away from replacing my tires. I guess I know which brand I'm getting... (yippee!)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James