Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Jun 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3087893)   #76
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKWD2 View Post
No, actually it will be guided visits (see: necessity for special accreditations to enter - and the necessity to have them returned after the visit) from the Audi Fan Area in the village. It will not be advertised too much and as it is a bit of an exclusive area for the ACO, the staff at the counter wil reserve the right to hand out an invitation or not depending on how crowded it is in there.

Actually we were planning to offer watching the first quali sessions on Wed and Thursday from there to Forum members, should anyone be interested....?
I would be very interested in going.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3088779)   #77
flyingmonkey
Rookie

flyingmonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKWD2 View Post
No, actually it will be guided visits (see: necessity for special accreditations to enter - and the necessity to have them returned after the visit) from the Audi Fan Area in the village. It will not be advertised too much and as it is a bit of an exclusive area for the ACO, the staff at the counter wil reserve the right to hand out an invitation or not depending on how crowded it is in there.

Actually we were planning to offer watching the first quali sessions on Wed and Thursday from there to Forum members, should anyone be interested....?
Where do I sign up?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3089096)   #78
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi Hospitality Suite Invitation

I am in the process of setting up a new thread regarding the organisation and details of Audi's fantastic invitation to 10Tenths members to visit their 'Fan Lounge'. Stay tuned......
Old 12 Jun 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3089822)   #79
Alexander Matveev
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
Alexander Matveev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a good spot I've seen today on the exit from Ford curves, right in the beginning of a start/finish straight. There's an exit for the marshals which makes it a single fencing place, but that's for those who have good zooms (my 18-105 isn't quite what is needed there).
Old 14 Jun 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3090486)   #80
Alexander Matveev
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
Tertre Rouge offers a couple of good opportunities both from inside and outside - it is possible to shoot over the fence. At the Dunlop Esses it is possible to make shots from the inside of the track, on the exit from them. Also, Dunlop curve exploit was working today during the quali session - I could reach the first fencing line and spent around 20 minutes there.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3091685)   #81
Alexander Matveev
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
Tertre Rouge on the outside: eliminated, unfortunately...
But there's a nice place after Karting Nord, on the outside, in Drinking For Holland zone. If you would be lucky to not be asked to get back behind the tyre barriers that work as a second fencing line.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3091783)   #82
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Outside of TR is useless - for photography anyway - but the inside is superb.......
Old 17 Jun 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3093824)   #83
Alexander Matveev
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Outside of TR is useless - for photography anyway - but the inside is superb.......
You're not quite right. During the early practice sessions there was an access to a TV screen that was standing outside Tertre Rouge and I climbed onto the construction (not onto the top, mind you - the bottom line, just to get a view ver the fence) and made some shots from there. It's still several days until I go home to post pics, but I will try to do that ASAP then.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3094706)   #84
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I stood by the side of that and thought about it too.......
Old 19 Jun 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3094749)   #85
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Found myself a great spot near the trackfences at the Karting, there where some containers / units placed there against the fences, so we had an unobstructed view on the fast curves there.
The Deltawing was pushed off right in front of us and I could see all the efforts of superman Satoshi Motoyama in trying to get the car back on track. Thougt I saw forum member Coach ep there as a marshall as well.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3094750)   #86
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
The other great thing was being able to be at the highest point in the ferriswheel when the cars took the rolling start.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3094823)   #87
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well done - we need to see the pictures Nobby!
Old 19 Jun 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3094825)   #88
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
The Deltawing was pushed off right in front of us and I could see all the efforts of superman Satoshi Motoyama in trying to get the car back on track. Thougt I saw forum member Coach ep there as a marshall as well.
you will have seen me sat on my van in our campsite from that point as well the karting pits looked busy for a lot of the daytime running - perhaps not so much of a lesser known spot now?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3094984)   #89
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Quote:
Well done - we need to see the pictures Nobby!
Will try to get my pictures somehow on line this week.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3095566)   #90
Alexander Matveev
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
I was lucky to explore almost every possible area for photography between the Esses and Tertre Rouge during the race and there have been some very nice spots. Will try to process my pics soon and will drop a link here.
Old 22 May 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3251452)   #91
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bump

I've recently taken an interest in DSLR photography picking up an entry level Nikon D3100 and a couple of lenses. Now I've been venturing down to Le Mans since the '80s and have never 'snapped' a car before (terrible I know !), although I have shot some video before.
After finding this excellent thread I wondered if anyone had anything to add to it, regarding decent vantage points ? Also I have a 70-300mm Dx lens, will it be enough to capture decent images without too much cropping ? I'm used to capturing shots of Karts, which are very close to the spectator.
Thanks Paul.
Old 22 May 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3251546)   #92
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Hi Paul,
Almost every good spot is mentioned in this forum, Have fun and good luck! See you at Le Mans
Old 22 May 2013, 10:41 (Ref:3251581)   #93
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Gilles Lives

[Apologies to others reading the thread, I've not read it backwards yet to see what else has been suggested].

With that camera/longer lens you have plenty of opportunities - in that scenario, assuming lighting is ok and you're not stopping down too much, crop factor at Le Mans is your friend.

I'm sure others will have said, but whilst remaining safe, you can usually push your luck a little to get better positions - for example on the outside of the track at the Dunlop Bridge, you can usually get inside of the crowd fencing to the catch fencing, where there are a few larger holes etc.

Anyway, some ideas for where to go (Shot with either a 70-200 with 2x converter, or shorter)...

Arnage:

Mulsanne
r

Porsche Curves
r

Inside the Esses

Outside the Esses

Bottom of the Esses (Looking up to Dunlop Bridge)

Ford Chicane

Terte Rouge

Terte Rouge (Looking down Mulsanne)

Pit Stand

Pits

Outside Dunlop Bridge

Inside Dunlop Bridge/ACO Village

Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled out and about as well

Hope they all help for some ideas.
Old 22 May 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3251625)   #94
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Thanks for your advice, I was worried the 300 would be a bit short, as I picked it up from someone who said they couldn't use it at Silverstone anymore . I'll definitely be trying the vantage points mentioned here , your shots are superb muppetdave !
Old 22 May 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3251638)   #95
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the compliment. Whilst longer is generally better (ooh err!), it's definitely not impossible to get some nice shots there, just sometimes takes a bit of thinking through! I realised after I posted that the original thread title was 'lesser known' spots which I failed on, but with some thought I think it is possible to get some different looking shots.

For the first time since 2008 I'm not taking my SLR....
Old 22 May 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3251655)   #96
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Man that shot of McNish after his accident... brings it all back how huge it was.
Old 22 May 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3251729)   #97
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You can get good shots with 300....
Old 22 May 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3251757)   #98
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
You can get good shots with 300....

Great , I'm looking forward to trying it out, especially at sunset/sunrise, weather dependant of course
Old 22 May 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3251822)   #99
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You certainly can.

This year I am going to try and not be obsessed with filling the frame with the car. Looking back at old photos before cameras were so good you got some great pictures of cars with background. I think this makes the photo 'last longer' as you can get something with more atmosphere and it means more. I didn't do that enough last year as I was too obsessed with pushing my kit to the limit.
Old 22 May 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3251823)   #100
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of Bleu Sud, exit of Porsche

Mulsanne:

Inside of Dunlop chicane

Outside Dunlop, just before the bridge:

Inside Esses:

Make your own pitwalk, early in the raceweek. Much more to see.