Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2001, 00:21 (Ref:73782)   #1
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember how last year, Bernie's wish was for Michael Schumacher (lovingly referred to in these parts as TGF) to be world champion. Unsurprisingly, Bernie's wish came true (That must happen a lot when you are worth 50 bazillion pounds.) Anyway, in an interview in a recent issue of the german auto magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Bernie revealed that his wish for the 2001 season, was for Jaques Villneuve to become WDC. Now, noting the tendencies for Bernies "wishes" to come true, I'm thinking that a bit of money on old JV to start winning might not be a bad idea. God, please make it so!!!!!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 01:59 (Ref:73801)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man that is good news!!!!!

Or maybe, on the downside, he is trying to cover himself this year by picking a driver that he knows won't win the WDC. Ahh well we'll see.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 11:48 (Ref:73864)   #3
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Orange
a bit of money on old JV to start winning might not be a bad idea. God, please make it so!!!!!
Yes, God, yes, pleeeeeaseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 12:58 (Ref:73883)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I Reckon' Jacques is Great

But like Far Out.

I'll take a pound of what ever Bernie's smokin'!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 16:42 (Ref:73928)   #5
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I thought at first too... But how often is Bernie wrong?? Will we see a mid-season BAR winning streak? Once again... Please God, make it so!!!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 17:33 (Ref:73933)   #6
carbonfibre
Rookie

carbonfibre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Orange
...Will we see a mid-season BAR winning streak? Once again...
A streak? BAR would certainly be happy with a streak of one. If so, it will probably be in the hands of Olivier Panis. There will no doubt be times when Ferrari will falter, and BAR may be in position to capitalize. JV will need some results soon, but expect Panis to keep solid pressure on Jacques.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 18:14 (Ref:73948)   #7
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well a BAR victory would be great. but I would really love to see Williams win a race or 2 this season, preferably from Ralf.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 18:20 (Ref:73949)   #8
Jordan
Rookie

Jordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you on that one, i'd like to see Ralf win too and i expect he will this year - he car def has speed in it.

GO RALF!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 20:39 (Ref:73982)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, I just want a non red or silver car to win ONE race
Old 23 Mar 2001, 22:44 (Ref:74018)   #10
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie wishes that? Kewl...so JV will be World Champion this year..I have to make my bets...lol. I will be rich after this season...thank you Bernie!!!
Old 24 Mar 2001, 06:02 (Ref:74090)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm telling you guys - I read ahead - Ralf will win one of the next two races, with his brother second (think of the public relations value in that!) and there will be a Honda-powered car in third place on that podium, and it may be Jacques but it will probably be Trulli. This will happen before Spain as after that the McLarens will come good and it will be harder to arrange.

If you want to see a good race, watch Brazil and Imola. After that it's Ferrari 1, Ferrari 2 from then to the end of the season.

Putting Ferrari on top is one thing. Stopping them from being on top - well even if you have a bazillion dollars, that may be hard to do.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 11:56 (Ref:74115)   #12
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

One possibility Liz...there are many possible scenarios would please Bernie...and he could arrange them all...he is GOD...lol...we'll see what he invents in Brazil for us fellow freaks...lol!
Old 24 Mar 2001, 12:40 (Ref:74129)   #13
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If BAR win a race it could well be Panis in the driving seat.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 16:04 (Ref:74147)   #14
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Absolutely right Robert...I'd hope it would be Olivier...hoestly I like him...he's one of the few drivers who don't treat thrie fans with arrogance but still have time for them...like Alesi...
Old 24 Mar 2001, 17:42 (Ref:74158)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernie wishes ?????
This one will take a lot of changes to put JV on top again.

OR...

He will switch seats with someone in the next races !!!
Old 24 Mar 2001, 17:49 (Ref:74161)   #16
Holly
Rookie

Holly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG

Or maybe, on the downside, he is trying to cover himself this year by picking a driver that he knows won't win the WDC.
I think that sounds much more like it, unfortunately
Old 24 Mar 2001, 18:47 (Ref:74172)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Liz, and I see the story with Ralf winning one of the next two races. However, BAR will improve slowly over the year, maybe winning a race or so. Michael will win the championship this year, with David Coulthard a distant second. Michael Schumacher will retire. In 2002, it will be a battle between Ralf and Jacques for the WDC, with Jacques taking the honours in the final race after Ralf's car mysteriously loses a wheel after his final pitstop.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 21:41 (Ref:74219)   #18
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Also quite adventurous...hehe...
Old 24 Mar 2001, 22:29 (Ref:74234)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we could write a script for an imaginary F1 season that would be far more interesting than the "real" one we get to watch.

I agree that the first winner in a BAR is likely to be Panis. He's quiet and very focused on his racing, and doubtless he learned a lot at McLaren that is helping him (not only about driving the car either ... )

Ralf v. Jacques for WDC? Nah. Ralf v. Montoya! And Frank Williams and Bunsen going mad in the background. Montoya will win and will say "It's too bad Michael quit before I had a chance to beat him." Michael will call Ferrari to complain and find that the line is mysteriously busy ... ... ...
Old 24 Mar 2001, 22:35 (Ref:74237)   #20
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Yeah Liz...but in the end the dramaturgy in the real Formula One isn't that bad...there are some races not even Hollywood could invent...lol!
Go Olivier and show JV he has a real racer as a teammate. By the way it#s already interesting that Panis is as quick as Villeneuve even at the start of the season...I thought he would need more time to beat Villeneuve. He already can do this.
Old 25 Mar 2001, 03:28 (Ref:74297)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think JV has already found out that he now has a real teammate, who will push him in the same way that Damon Hill did. I just hope BAR accepts it, so that there can be two BARs in the points and not just one.

The reason I said Ralf vs Jacques is Bernie.
Old 25 Mar 2001, 13:59 (Ref:74351)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Once the Benettons come good (or the Renaults or whatever they decide to call themselves) it'd be fun to have Jacques switch to race in them with Bunsen. I would buy a ticket to see the team meetings between Flav and Pollock!

Yes, thank heavens there are still some variations that even Bernie can't plan (terrible weather, brain fade by Mika (1999 Monza), exploding engines, Rubens' Mission ("If the only way I can win a race is that HE isn't in it .... well, THAT CAN BE ARRANGED ... just let me establish a pattern so it doesn't look as if I were actually GUNNING FOR HIM ... ") ... but it's a terrible thing when you have to make up conspiracies to make the races interesting, isn't it? Reading the thread about Alesi, who will become invisible when the cars go RC, it's clear some of us remember the difference between sport and entertainment.

But hey, we keep watching, don't we?
Old 25 Mar 2001, 14:08 (Ref:74354)   #23
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly what is the diffrence between sport and entertainment anyway these days?

Who will watch a sport which isn't actually entertaining?

A sport that is servicing a few billion fewers a season probably is entertaining as well.

It's kinda hard to keep them apart, isn't it?
Old 25 Mar 2001, 15:05 (Ref:74362)   #24
carbonfibre
Rookie

carbonfibre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I think we could write a script for an imaginary F1 season that would be far more interesting than the "real" one we get to watch.
Scripted season?? Been there, done that.
Signed Bill France, NASCAR

Old 26 Mar 2001, 01:54 (Ref:74480)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Definition time, then: "Sport" is a competition in which the outcome is in doubt until the last tick of the clock. In a "sport" all participants are free to act independently within the scope of the rules, which have been laid down before the season/event took place and are not changed during the event or during the season, especially not for the purpose of influencing the outcome...which activity is in fact called "cheating" or "criminal" and those attempting to perputrate it are arrested and/or punished.

"Entertainment" is an event with a pre-arranged ending, such as a movie, a novel, or a Formula One race/season; the fact that the outcome is not in doubt does not necessarily make it boring, although certain formulaic programs may become boring if the audience can too easily discern the workings of the machine or if events must be too violently wrenched out of position or too many McGuffins are necessary to force the outcome desired, to enable the audience to willingly suspend their disbelief.