Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Feb 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3372766)   #101
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Al sadly on this occassion entrants are being asked to pay, but I was more interested in your comment that CTCRC have been putting on these type of meetings for years so I looked on their website fearful that I had missed a trick by not going to their meetings.

The list of championships:

Thermex Classic Saloon and Historic Touring Car Championship
Autoglym Pre ‘83 Touring Car Championship
SVG Motorsport Pre ‘93 Touring Car Championship
Performancecar.com Classic Thunder Championship
Burton Power Blue Oval Saloon Series
CTCRC Pre 2005 Production Car Series

then I looked again onto the GRRC link to their meeting:

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/members-me...the-races.aspx

and I think you will agree that whilst CTCRC sounds like a great club to race with it would be doing them a disservice to be compared with this.... and that is why most agree that the Goodwood ticket price should be at a premium - how much more is open to discussion
Unfortunately what was a good championship the Pre 74's which ran loosely to Gp 1 regs and did feature some genuine cars and was set up by Ken Clarke was amalgamated with the Pre 83 Group 1's due to watering down as other clubs tried to get in on the post 66 scene where as previously not many wanted to know. But there you go that's life. Also to be honest I didn't realise there was a full supporting race card of decent races which obviously puts a different slant on it, I thought it was just the Group 1 races.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3372791)   #102
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
'middle of Winter'

Dear God, we are talking about the South Coast nearly in to April……trying living in Chipping Norton……

Bladders…...
I thought it was at the end of March and if you live down here that normally means the middle of winter.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3372856)   #103
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THat was a mistake Sainsburys exists purely to keep the plebians out of Waitrose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
£20 is an unreasonably low figure to watch something of this quality. £40/£50 is more like it. Did you see the article recently that since Waitrose started giving away free coffee they were getting "the wrong type" of customer? No danger of that at Goodwood

:
Old 27 Feb 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3372863)   #104
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
THat was a mistake Sainsburys exists purely to keep the plebians out of Waitrose.
Waitrose need to be careful as apparently the great and good are often seen using an Aldi nowadays. Goodwood take note!
Old 27 Feb 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3372870)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um, am I the only one who doesn't give a stuff whether there are spectators or not? This is after all a race meeting. I'm possibly going to enter my car in a race (have actually) but if nobody watches I'm not sure I should care really.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3372892)   #106
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Um, am I the only one who doesn't give a stuff whether there are spectators or not?
Very few meetings give a stuff whether spectators are present or not.

However the other two Goodwood events certainly do
Old 27 Feb 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3372959)   #107
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
If no one attends Peter there will not be a second artisans meeting.

It's a commercial meeting.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 02:14 (Ref:3372990)   #108
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Understood john. It's just not that important for me. Crowds at the classic etc. Are important. But the moaning about cost of spectating at this one seems disproportionate.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3373035)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Peter, there will be 'moaning' (your word) about the cost of spectating at Silverstone Classic as well!

Before there is any suggestion of me knocking Goodwood, I am a great admirer of 'the brand' that has been created, have paid out of my own pocket to attend almost all the Revival meetings and a few FoS. (Usually clashes with racing.) But I have several non racing friends who are GRRC members, and not one of them is going to the Members meeting. Reasons- cost primarily, time of year, content.....

So I stand by my comment several pages ago, that IMHO they initially read the market wrong on this occasion. They will always get the cars, for reasons often discussed, but do need the spectators as well. I don't see that any event is above constructive criticism, which I hope is what I am offering!

Old 28 Feb 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3373037)   #110
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm perfectly entitled to be grumpy!
Old 28 Feb 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3373047)   #111
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The price of a ticket is approximately half of my weekly state pension !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Feb 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3373049)   #112
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gordon if you are reliant on your state pension even Al's bargain £11 would appear to be indulgent!
I think it is fair to say that a well oiled machine like Goodwood do not pluck figures out of the sky so whilst to some it might appear extravagant I am sure they will have conducted market research as to the pricing.
More interested to talk about the racing given this is a motor racing forum rather than price comparison site!!!
Old 28 Feb 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3373055)   #113
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's more people on here affected by the spectator entry criteria than the racing Simon. If GW had gone to plan then most of us would not even have been allowed to watch so it doesn't matter a stuff what the racing is.

The fact that entry is gradually being opened up shows that clearly the marketing department did not get it right, market research notwithstanding.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3373058)   #114
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I appreciate its not cheap but I am also confident that Goodwood will lay on the wow factor which as we all know includes more than just the racing.

Seen in that context the challenge is theirs to provide a spectacle worthy of the price. Of all the various promotors I think most would agree that previous form would suggest that they will put on something memorable.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3373234)   #115
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The price of a ticket is approximately half of my weekly state pension !
But It's only a third of your heating allowance and if you cover your swimming pool in the winter so you don't have to heat it you'll be quids in
Old 28 Feb 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3373310)   #116
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
But It's only a third of your heating allowance and if you cover your swimming pool in the winter so you don't have to heat it you'll be quids in
Don't forget I only get a hundred quid for my winter heating as Mrs S gets the other half, the swimming pool in Spain it's solar heated !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Feb 2014, 20:29 (Ref:3373324)   #117
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
All kicking off here (see Facebook link below) and Peter you may not be worried if there were spectators or not but it appears there wouldnt have been a meeting without the spectators so obviously the organisers were worried if there were spectators or not.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 1 Mar 2014, 05:29 (Ref:3373472)   #118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Members indignant because the hoi polloi are now invited? Hoi polloi indignant because of the cost? Whoops. Just confirms my opinion of the initial marketing....
Old 1 Mar 2014, 05:39 (Ref:3373476)   #119
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Al. We raced with SUNBAC without spectators as you know. We've also raced at big weekends with spectators. Whether they are there or not matters little to enjoying a good race.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 06:59 (Ref:3373489)   #120
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a 'umble speccie and occasional snapper, Goodwood is vastly preferable to Silverstone, although if I was a driver I could certainly see the attraction of racing on the GP circuit.
Unless you are in a Car Club, a two day ticket to the Classic is curently £80 - not so far off the MM price - with the vastly inferior selection of close up photography spots that modern GP circuits demand. And have you seen what 90 minutes of Premiership football costs these days ?
I'm going for the racing; not fussed about the "houses" et al. I thought we might be able to leave dress codes behind though ... how strictly it is enforced is yet to be seen.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3373534)   #121
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I dont disagree Pete about racing infront of spectators or not it just appears in this case that the revenue from ticket sales was required.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3373545)   #122
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It is required but there's little point in moaning about the cost of spectating if people weren't going to go anyway.

In the case of this event there's clearly a disconnect between what the members want and what the club wants. Otherwise the membership take up would have covered the costs.

However now that it is a lesser cost, will there be more people taking up the offer?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 13:20 (Ref:3373611)   #123
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Al. We raced with SUNBAC without spectators as you know. We've also raced at big weekends with spectators. Whether they are there or not matters little to enjoying a good race.
SUNBAC, that rings a bell and although I've raced with them I can't remember where
As for the crowds Peter, some drivers only race for the adulation they get and are disappointed if no one takes any notice of them.
As for them opening it up to the lower classes, their reason seems to be purely money orientated. I'm sure they could afford to carry the meeting for one year as a trial, after all if our own Claire and John can do this then the GRRC can manage it. If they want to save money then they could do away with the paid celebs as tbh I would want to go to see the cars not fancy names driving them.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3373664)   #124
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
SUNBAC, that rings a bell and although I've raced with them I can't remember where ld
I think it would have been Silverstone.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3373688)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It was.