Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Mar 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3373706)   #126
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Was that the meeting that was held at the beginning of March each year and we'd be racing in between the snow drifts?
Old 1 Mar 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3373722)   #127
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Many happy memories racing with SUNBAC. What ever happened to that club.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3373750)   #128
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
However now that it is a lesser cost, will there be more people taking up the offer?
I was not aware the price had dropped Peter. Still seems to be £120 for the weekend or £75 for either day on their website
Old 2 Mar 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3373828)   #129
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Many happy memories racing with SUNBAC. What ever happened to that club.
The club was wound up a couple of years ago. Their final acts were to be sponsor Monoposto's novice driver awards and provide sponsorship to the Marshals Club.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 02:19 (Ref:3373842)   #130
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post
I was not aware the price had dropped Peter. Still seems to be £120 for the weekend or £75 for either day on their website
My mistake.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3373921)   #131
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what's the case for ticket holders demanding their money back? Having been sold premium price tickets with the promise that they were the privileged few to go to the event, only to have that promise reneged upon?
Old 2 Mar 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3373925)   #132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the prices haven't been reduced one assumes the gripe is all about exclusivity. Again, not something I'm personally interested in.

I don't know but I believe there will be a stunning array of cars from all ages, not to mention the demos by rally, F1 and Group C cars. Whilst the Group 1 grid is full, I'm sure all the others will be equally full.

I'm quite looking forward to it. I've seen the effort put in by David Axisa (bodywork and paint), Ken C (build) and John Eales (engine) to get the car together (it should be finished around midnight 27th March) so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I'm also keen to see what my nominated VIP thinks of the car. Have to leave it to Goodwood to announce him.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3373964)   #133
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with Tim (not a first surely) about the paid celebs, also if I had just paid out a small fortune (I assume) as Peter has I am sorry but I wouldnt be very reluctant to handing my car over to a 'name' not of my choice whoever it may be, all I say is good luck all and hope all these fine cars survive without incident.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3374006)   #134
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I agree with Tim (not a first surely) about the paid celebs, also if I had just paid out a small fortune (I assume) as Peter has I am sorry but I wouldnt be very reluctant to handing my car over to a 'name' not of my choice whoever it may be, all I say is good luck all and hope all these fine cars survive without incident.
I think we get the message Al, Goodwood is too expensive, overhyped and celebs shouldn't be allowed in the cars. You say the same about the Revival but fortunately about 100 000 people every year disagree with you!

The format is part of what makes Goodwood different and successful. Doesn't make it better or worse just how Goodwood do it and it seems to work.

I am confused - surely those who bought tickets did so to see the racing, cars and the Goodwood experience not because they were attending a members only day?! If every member had taken their full guest allocation 75% would be non members so I fail to see the difference.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3374022)   #135
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My First outright win at Snett and we didn't even get a podium afterwards, bloody disgraceful, my ego was almost back to normal before I even got out the car!

Mr Grumbly from Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
As for the crowds Peter, some drivers only race for the adulation they get and are disappointed if no one takes any notice of them..
Old 2 Mar 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3374028)   #136
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don't worry Zef, I had a podium at Knockhill way back in the late 80's. The winner got a garland for a couple of minuits then it was taken by the official for the next race winner. Blooming tight Scots."No offence" Co Driver McKay.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3374031)   #137
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Don't worry Zef, I had a podium at Knockhill way back in the late 80's. The winner got a garland for a couple of minuits then it was taken by the official for the next race winner. Blooming tight Scots."No offence" Co Driver McKay.
You're lucky to have been given the garland. My first, just like Mr Grumbly also at Snetterton, no podium but at least I was given a trophy. Gave great service as an egg-cup in later life
Old 2 Mar 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3374032)   #138
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
My First outright win at Snett and we didn't even get a podium afterwards, bloody disgraceful, my ego was almost back to normal before I even got out the car!

Mr Grumbly from Sussex
Having only ever one one race outright and another as winner of an amalgamated race the win is enough for me, mind you I'd love to actually win a race where the bloke in front doesn't break down or chuck his car off the road for me.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3374155)   #139
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I think we get the message Al, Goodwood is too expensive, overhyped and celebs shouldn't be allowed in the cars. You say the same about the Revival but fortunately about 100 000 people every year disagree with you!

The format is part of what makes Goodwood different and successful. Doesn't make it better or worse just how Goodwood do it and it seems to work.

I am confused - surely those who bought tickets did so to see the racing, cars and the Goodwood experience not because they were attending a members only day?! If every member had taken their full guest allocation 75% would be non members so I fail to see the difference.
I havnt said it about the revival what are you on about you must be confusing me with someone else lol!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3374288)   #140
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My only other win was at Mallory, and I got a garland, interviewed on the finish line, the works!

I won that because Anthony Reid retired with a puncture. the main reason he was quick is because A he can drive and B he was cutting every corner and hopping all the kerbs, hence the puncture. You've got to be in it to win it, so the falling off and conking out bit is irrelevant to my mind, a win's a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Having only ever one one race outright and another as winner of an amalgamated race the win is enough for me, mind you I'd love to actually win a race where the bloke in front doesn't break down or chuck his car off the road for me.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3374384)   #141
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I won that because Anthony Reid retired with a puncture. the main reason he was quick is because A he can drive and B he was cutting every corner and hopping all the kerbs, hence the puncture. You've got to be in it to win it, so the falling off and conking out bit is irrelevant to my mind, a win's a win.
Quite right Joe. Not a win, but my 3rd at Combe last year was a nice way to finish the season and was also gifted by a Reid puncture on the penultimate lap. Also memorable for the smallest trophy I've ever seen!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3374503)   #142
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quails egg cup ??

or was it more humming bird?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3375307)   #143
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like tickets have not sold to well. Offer to purchase with latest edition of Classic and Sportscar on Monday and again from Peter James Insurance today.

Pete Richards
Old 5 Mar 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3375321)   #144
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
With great respect to Peter Mallett, Simon Drabble and others on here, who are competing, it would seem that Goodwood are pitching this meeting as a 'Revival Lite' at, for spectators, a very premium price. I think there's a danger of diluting the 'brand' and, if they're not careful, may be 'killing the golden goose'.
I hope not as I intend to go (depending on weather at that time of year) but the term 'a bridge too far' comes to mind.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3375322)   #145
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
John,

Make sure you come to see us, not sure where we'll be as yet though.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3375329)   #146
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
John,

Make sure you come to see us, not sure where we'll be as yet though.
Providing the weather is good and we're both there (good luck with getting your car ready), will do. I'll make sure I'll be wearing a tie!
Old 5 Mar 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3375334)   #147
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy the Revival meeting and try to go despite the cost whenever the saloon car race includes yanks.

Was not impressed when this meeting was originally billed as members only, obviously my cash not good enough.

Now they realise their 'faithful' members aren't willing to stump up the cash they've opened it up to all and sundry.

Unfortunately my finances have changed significantly - I could and would have bought a ticket originally, now I can't afford it.

We've both lost out - well done Goodwood!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 5 Mar 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3375335)   #148
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
Looks like tickets have not sold to well. Offer to purchase with latest edition of Classic and Sportscar on Monday and again from Peter James Insurance today.

Pete Richards

Also on offer to Telegraph subscribers.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3375336)   #149
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As a humble speccie, just starting my 55th year trackside, I was delighted to read that this meeting had been opened up to allow "other" spectators as I was more than willing to pay the admission price to see the cars that are going to be competing. But, after reading some of the comments on their Facebook page, I have decided not to attend. Indeed some of the comments on there are pathetic and demeaning. Horror of horrors, there may be people there "sat in folding chairs all day". I have some (not a lot) sympathy for those who bought tickets at the outset expecting it to be an exclusive weekend but are now upset at having to mix with other humans, but seems they would have preferred the whole event to be binned. Now enquiring about refunds ! As stated earlier, if members had taken up the option for guests, 75% of of the crowd could have in theory been non-members. Presumably they would have been instructed not to bring a folding chair. For all those going, I sincerely hope it's a great weekend but I for one will be spending my money at a different event, where they might, I say might, be even pleased that I have bothered to attend.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3375501)   #150
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I am a member at Goodwood. I bought tickets. I had thought that the members meeting might be aimed at members competing, and was disappointed to find that it is a mini Revival at a maxi price.

In my opinion the Members meeting should be what it says on the tin. We already have the Revival for big names in impossibly expensive cars.

Paul