Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Mar 2014, 23:39 (Ref:3375559)   #151
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
With great respect to Peter Mallett, Simon Drabble and others on here, who are competing, it would seem that Goodwood are pitching this meeting as a 'Revival Lite' at, for spectators, a very premium price. I think there's a danger of diluting the 'brand' and, if they're not careful, may be 'killing the golden goose'.
I hope not as I intend to go (depending on weather at that time of year) but the term 'a bridge too far' comes to mind.
Not just spectators John. For those of us 'invited' to race we have to be GRRC members too for an additional £200/250 on top of the entry fee.

I think you may be right about 'diluting the brand' especially if like me other competitors plan to purchase up to 8 weekend tickets; after all they can hardly turn down the drivers or entrants who are providing the cars. I can also understand why some established GRRC members are up in arms, if having paid my £250 for 'exclusivity' I could have got the same thing by buying a magazine for a fiver.

The main issue for me is that given it is 'access all areas' I don't want a scrum in the paddock and collecting areas from masses of onlookers especially if the car needs work. As it has now been opened up I can foresee a possibility of a large audience despite the price.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3375582)   #152
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post

The main issue for me is that given it is 'access all areas' I don't want a scrum in the paddock and collecting areas from masses of onlookers especially if the car needs work. As it has now been opened up I can foresee a possibility of a large audience despite the price.
I would have thought (hoped?) that Goodwood would, at least, exercise some control/security on the paddock and assembly areas, particularly at those entry and membership fees, despite the 'access all areas' culture.
I know that Goodwood doesn't have to pay circuit hire (as such, although they must be allowing a 'wooden dollars' element somewhere in their financial plan) but I'd love to see the figures for this meeting. So different from the home life of our dear Queen ...... or the finances of our 360MRC
I'm not knocking the meeting by the way. I intend to be there and hope it's a great success.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3375652)   #153
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
I am a member at Goodwood. I bought tickets. I had thought that the members meeting might be aimed at members competing, and was disappointed to find that it is a mini Revival at a maxi price.

In my opinion the Members meeting should be what it says on the tin. We already have the Revival for big names in impossibly expensive cars.

Paul
I think that yours is another valid point, Paul. When I first heard the meeting mentioned I assumed that it would be a 'run what you brung' event for GRRC members, although I did also wonder what percentage actually had race cars or race licence. And the exclusivity of the club has also been diluted by just granting membership to those who's cars they wanted, leaving those on the long waiting list still waiting!

I gave up my membership years ago in favour of a proper racing club, HSCC, after I realised that GRRC was absolutely nothing to do with the racing side of the events.

Thinking of the Facebook comments from some members, I would guess they shop at Waitrose and were similarly indignant when the store started giving away free cups of coffee...... (See comment several pages ago!)

Old 6 Mar 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3375655)   #154
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post

As a racer I find it a real pain in the arse having spectators wandering round asking questions when you are trying to work on the car, or even sleep if you are lucky enough to have no problems. On the other hand as a spectator I hate being at meetings where you're fenced off from the cars and teams (in fact I generally wont go to them) so damned if you do and damned if you don't but I have to agree that if you were all led to believe it was an exclusive meeting and then the goal posts were moved then you have every right to be ****ed off about it.
Out of interest as some of you have had to jump the queue to join the Grrrr club to race does that automatically allow you membership for next year even if you don't race again?
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3375741)   #155
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Am I correct in thinking that the outer paddock for the Revival is open to all and it's only the bit in middle of paddock for some grids that is special people only with the fancy dress and stuff.

If so what's the difference for members meeting as seem to think I didn't do the dressing up bit when I had cars there.

Hope it works but if only it had been end of April!
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3375747)   #156
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRRC make a big thing about the waiting list from a marketing standpoint, not only does it make the prospect of membership more desirable, but once hooked you'd think twice about dropping out (bolshy Norfolk types excepted). However like Paul I was disappointed that it's not a true members meeting, I'm sure that many members have cars & licences & would love to race. If the 'special' car owners want to join the fun then join the waiting list first and they can have their turn in a couple of years, none of this queue jumping nonsense, it's not British dammit!
Old 6 Mar 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3375755)   #157
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is being pitched as a mini (not Mini) Revival and a hefty fee charged (I suspect it is to beef up the coffers.

Well I am a non-Member and I am going (might flout the suggested requirement for a cravat as it is after all the 21st Century!) - (not like they will kick me out of the GRRC that I am not in).

I will be in the paddock looking at cars probing (complementing on occasion) drivers on their cars and prep, esp Falsey if he is there (might even be cheeky and ask him for a lift home !!!)

As for pkg, Lavant bank is limited numbers due to cack weather and is full.

Chicane Paddock is for GRRC Members only who have classics deemed to be interesting enough upon application - so my interesting 1957 hobby will have to sit out in the muddy field with the even oikier oils.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3375763)   #158
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the outer paddock for the Revival is open to all and it's only the bit in middle of paddock for some grids that is special people only with the fancy dress and stuff.

If so what's the difference for members meeting as seem to think I didn't do the dressing up bit when I had cars there.
Yes, Revival only has paddock dress code in the centre square, where a pass is also reqd. I always assumed it was as much to do with photography or filming that might take place in it as any attempt to make it special? The rule has never bothered me whether have a pass that particular year or not- most of the racers I know are in the outer paddocks anyway!

No idea of the exact requirements for theis meeting, but have heard collar and tie for gents mentioned for something....

Old 6 Mar 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3375770)   #159
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

No idea of the exact requirements for theis meeting, but have heard collar and tie for gents mentioned for something....

But do the collar and cuffs have to match?
Old 6 Mar 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3375789)   #160
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
But do the collar and cuffs have to match?
If I get a haircut will I be allowed in ?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4553 m.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Mar 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3375793)   #161
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
You could fashion those locks into a suitable cravat and I'm sure they would then let you in.

I'm assuming that the event will be full of GRRC members with their lapel badges eyeing with contempt those of us with nothing on display.

Maybe in response i'll pin on my race licence and suggest that if they have any questions about motor racing i'd be happy to answer them (that assuming they are actually watching said racing!)

The FortyOneSix forum is full of complaints about the event being non-exclusive, but little or no discussion about the actual planned races !!!!!
Old 6 Mar 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3375800)   #162
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
'Fraid not.... you'll just have to go in drag again, Gordon.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3375801)   #163
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
have heard collar and tie for gents mentioned
If I recall correctly, Reggie Thrumper, the Blagdon Amateur Rapist, wore a collar and tie, but nothing else.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 14:27 (Ref:3375802)   #164
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttley View Post
You could fashion those locks into a suitable cravat and I'm sure they would then let you in.

I'm assuming that the event will be full of GRRC members with their lapel badges eyeing with contempt those of us with nothing on display.

Maybe in response i'll pin on my race licence and suggest that if they have any questions about motor racing i'd be happy to answer them (that assuming they are actually watching said racing!)

The FortyOneSix forum is full of complaints about the event being non-exclusive, but little or no discussion about the actual planned races !!!!!
I hope the meeting is a success and I might go down one day weather permitting.

- anyway, just wanted to say that I have just received my copy of Classic and Sportscar magazine via the post, as I am a subscriber. Inside the polythene wrapper is a A4 flyer titled:-
"exclusive C&SC subscriber offer for Goodwood"
which then goes on to say that
"despite this meeting technically being invitation only....because of C&SC's special relationship with Goodwood it has been agreed to offer a limited number of tickets to our readers..."

I think that the 'right crowd' has just got a little larger.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 14:46 (Ref:3375809)   #165
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
the 'right crowd' now includes:
- anyone on Facebook
- anyone who has ever given Goodwood their email address for a motorsport event inquiry or ticket (i got an invite and it must be 4 years since I went to the revival)
- anyone who reads the torygraph
- anyone
- me !

It is suggested that they will close ticket sales when they hit the 13k per day break even figure, but I suspect they will keep going to the 20k max limit if they can.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3375841)   #166
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see that as a reader of Classic and Sportscar and a customer of Peter James Insurance I can now consider myself to be 'very select'

Pete Richards
Old 6 Mar 2014, 17:36 (Ref:3375849)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
Good to see that as a reader of Classic and Sportscar and a customer of Peter James Insurance I can now consider myself to be 'very select'

Pete Richards

Wow, it's Autocar subscribers as well now! That is really plumbing the depths (I subscribe) but hopefully they will stop short of including Auto Express readers.....
Old 6 Mar 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3375854)   #168
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
best buy up all the tickets before they resort to inviting the readers of NotasfastasitsoundsmodifiedjapneonnoisyICE Monthly

...although I reckon a racey tiger such as Lord March probably has neon lights around the skirt of his bed....
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3375857)   #169
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Still looking forward to reading the results and reports just a shame its been restricted to members and punitively priced out the range of many would be spectators and I find that rather strange and surely a lost source of revenue for the circuit owners.
Looks like only 'life-style' magazines have been invited from the world press. Wonder what they will report? Certainly not results. And there is no accreditation process available for jobbing freelancers or photographers.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3375859)   #170
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, it's Autocar subscribers as well now! That is really plumbing the depths (I subscribe) but hopefully they will stop short of including Auto Express readers.....

I wouldn't be too hopeful - they have done a deal with Auto Trader for the Moving Motor Show/FoS in recent times so there's still time to plumb the depths!

Have you spotted an offer in the 'EDP' yet Mike??
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3375860)   #171
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Looks like only 'life-style' magazines have been invited from the world press. Wonder what they will report? Certainly not results. And there is no accreditation process available for jobbing freelancers or photographers.
Interesting that they are happy to try & flog tickets via the motoring press but they don't want us to go & cover the event.

A rather short-sighted attitude as some good press from this year's event would go some way to attracting more punters for next year (assuming there is a next year...).
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3375869)   #172
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttley View Post
best buy up all the tickets before they resort to inviting the readers of NotasfastasitsoundsmodifiedjapneonnoisyICE Monthly

...although I reckon a racey tiger such as Lord March probably has neon lights around the skirt of his bed....
Old 6 Mar 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3375905)   #173
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

Have you spotted an offer in the 'EDP' yet Mike??
I'm eagerly waiting, with some optimism, for the Attleborough and Wymondham free sheet to come through the door tomorrow!

Old 6 Mar 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3375914)   #174
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
'Fraid not.... you'll just have to go in drag again, Gordon.
If it's raining I can always wear my wellies !
Attached Thumbnails
PUB 1.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Mar 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3375915)   #175
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
How could Lord March possibly resist an offer so charmingly put?