Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Nov 2003, 03:02 (Ref:784754)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First tow truck experiance today

Well after 3 weeks it had to happen and this morning was it. Stopped at a set of lights on Windsor Rd the car ran rough and then stopped. I wound it over again, nothing but the smell of fuel. So I got out looked under the bonnet all seemed ok but at the fuel tank at the back the was fuel pouring out. Turn the ignition and the fuel pump pumps fuel out onto the road. So called up Holden No assistance errrr Roadside assitance and waited for two and half hours for the tow truck...... It is now sitting in the car park of the Holden dealers so they can give me excusses as to why I won't see it till friday

I am now starting to wonder about this car.........
Old 16 Nov 2003, 13:04 (Ref:784981)   #2
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have bought that ford
Old 16 Nov 2003, 13:17 (Ref:784984)   #3
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should always carry matches.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 13:41 (Ref:784989)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Colin, I'll refrain from kicking you while your down (dont worry, will save it for another time ), I can understand how you must be.

There is nothing cooler than a brand new car, and nothing more disapointing than having problems with it from day 1.

FWIW, my new XR6 is marvelous
Old 16 Nov 2003, 14:15 (Ref:785004)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Colin, get rid and buy an Impreza WRX. That'll kill two birds with one stone - you'll have a cool quick car that's reliable, and you'll seriously Wrex off!!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 07:21 (Ref:785491)   #6
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
It was fixed today the fuel line from the sendor to the filter had detatched it's self. No idea how, but they refitted it and said it was fine to go. We will see I am not confident about it
Old 17 Nov 2003, 08:38 (Ref:785537)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd unfortunately be surprised if you're not back in there by week's end with something else they managed to **** up with it while it was there.

Scratched paintwork is my pet hate along with scuff marks on the door trims and grease-stained fingerprints on the doors and bonnet.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 17 Nov 2003, 09:48 (Ref:785605)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have other things gone wrong Colin?

Why are you wondering about the car? Sure the fuel thing is bad, but it could have been worse, you could have thrown your smoke out the window before you got out of the car.

Besides, you got a good one, I thought they went through oil not leaked petrol.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 09:46 (Ref:858620)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Well the Commodore has gone, got rid of it. To say I was unhappy with it is a bit of an understatement but there you go. So back to a TJII Magna I go. Now I will just by something as a toy maybe a race car
Old 1 Feb 2004, 11:36 (Ref:858730)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
OMG!!! WHat happened colin? It cant have been that bad?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 11:50 (Ref:858755)   #11
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a holden thats why it went pear shaped, buy a BA Falcon ive had no trouble with mine
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:49 (Ref:859500)   #12
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford Boy, I'm sure there are plenty who have trouble with their Fords as well (My Ford is very reliable for a 20 year old car by the way, just to show no bias...)

To all of you:-
Please lets not have another seasion of "Holden/Ford is better than Ford/Holden" we've heard it all before.

Last edited by Bluebottle; 1 Feb 2004 at 21:54.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 02:11 (Ref:859638)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
To all of you:-
Please lets not have another seasion of "Holden/Ford is better than Ford/Holden" we've heard it all before.
I must have missed that thread

Colin, I must say I'm suprised. I recall you mentioning in another thread (after this one) things were great since. What happened that was bad enough to ditch the car?
Old 2 Feb 2004, 05:40 (Ref:859729)   #14
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

Colin, I must say I'm suprised. I recall you mentioning in another thread (after this one) things were great since. What happened that was bad enough to ditch the car?
Wrex, It just turned out to be a, not bad car but not good. It has had door rattles as the doors move in the body there is squecks around the doors. I have had it back that many times for and engine rattle it's not funny. The rattle isn't piston knocking it is an oil feed problem to the top end where on dead cold starts the top end rattles for about 5 to 7 seconds and then stops. I keep getting told that it's nothing to worry about but the thing is I have been in the trade for 15 years now so I have a bit of a clue on whats good and what isn't. That coupled with as of today a clutch master cylinder fauliure and Ihave had enough. I am not going to loose on it so I figure it is better off to be out of it.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 06:07 (Ref:859738)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Mate, Ford-Holden bias aside, that sucks. Sounds like you got yourself a Friday arvo build.

Ford boy, I have a BA as well and have'nt had a problem. However, I have heard of people who have. As far as quality goes, both Ford and Holden have a little bit to learn. Same can be said for after sales service.

Like most people, when I buy a new car, I expect it to be trouble free, and if not, the problem fixed immediately. I dont care for excuses.

Sorry it turned out that way mate, hope the next car gives you better luck.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 06:20 (Ref:859744)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its a Magna... Please Consider... it will be a shining star, till it gets to its 4th year of age and mileage...

Last edited by GTRMagic; 2 Feb 2004 at 06:21.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Feb 2004, 06:54 (Ref:859753)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Yes that is what I will get another Magna
Old 2 Feb 2004, 07:36 (Ref:859770)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not the new shape hopefully? There are some really hot deals around on the old shape, new or used...
Old 2 Feb 2004, 09:12 (Ref:859842)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can vouch for the recently superseded model V6 Sports with the TC and sequential shift option auto. Very smooth and quick, about 170kW I believe or thereabouts.

More attractive to look at than the VR-X too.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 2 Feb 2004, 09:20 (Ref:859844)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mine is a 2000 3 Litre Executive, bottom of the heap, but powerful, and cheap to keep.

Still ugly from some angles, but the riversand gold colour means it dirt very well
Old 2 Feb 2004, 10:41 (Ref:859898)   #21
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
Well the Commodore has gone, got rid of it. To say I was unhappy with it is a bit of an understatement but there you go. So back to a TJII Magna I go. Now I will just by something as a toy maybe a race car
There is a nice championship winning rx7 Improved production car for sale. You could buy that

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 2 Feb 2004, 10:48 (Ref:859904)   #22
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
How much? I don't think it will tow behind a Magna, anyway what are you going to race this year
Old 2 Feb 2004, 22:15 (Ref:860733)   #23
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Thanks Wrex!!

I do find it amazing that this kind of problem can still happen. I suppose new cars will never be perfect but why on earth not? We've been building cars for over 100 years now, and with the r & d that goes into a new model and the increasing automation and precision on the production line this just shouldn't happen! Suppose it was a brand new Boeing 747 for instance.....
Old 3 Feb 2004, 00:23 (Ref:860858)   #24
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another "view"

If you have a broadband connection, you might find this humorous.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=snowtow.wmv

Old 3 Feb 2004, 09:06 (Ref:861168)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Col,

That's no good mate. My BA Turbo has been in the shop twice for a slipping handbrake. An annoying problem. Otherwise it's been fine. Well, that's not entirely true. I had spent a weekend digging out clay by hand for landscapping around a pool. Then carting it away in a trailer to the tip. So at the end of the day I reversed the car and trailer to within six inches of the retaining wall (think cement filled blocks) left it in drive and checked it wouldn't go anywhere (it was facing uphill on a slope) then got out and checked the position of the trailer.

I was hot and tired, so I reached through the open driver's window and turned the ignition to off. And it rolled back six inches and scrapped the left rear guard.

800 dollars worth thanks. Same cost as the excess!

I am saving for it.