Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2653565)   #651
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at Silverstone testing on Friday in weat cold horrible conditions and there was a "Goodwood Green" griffiths H reg out on the track - not one I reckonized I presume as H reg it was not an FIA car
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2653567)   #652
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I was at Silverstone testing on Friday in weat cold horrible conditions and there was a "Goodwood Green" griffiths H reg out on the track - not one I reckonized I presume as H reg it was not an FIA car
Simon, H reg, that would be about 1970 - could be a late Griff but more likely a Tuscan (virtually the same bar a few inches in the wheelbase).
Old 16 Mar 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2653616)   #653
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jelli,the first win we had with Joe's car at Spa was on seven inch as described,1/8th rear spacers for the clearance on the pivot pin on the bottom of the rear u/right.Front suspension,brakes etc were as they were intended to be by the factory,certainly do not remember having any problems at all,replaced the front pads after qualifying,apart from re-fueling and changing the 'leaner' wheels,that was it.Incidently,we ran Dunlops for quali,but swapped over to the 'race' tyres,they were nothing more than 70 series Continental Road Tyres,still good for 2.58s though.
Sorry,but there is/has been so much bad info put out about Griffs,that you cant do this or you cant do that,little wonder that the current owners have attracted so much attention to the cars.
I suppose in some ways,we,CMS,possibly started the ball rolling regarding a lot of the mods now being done,I know there were a couple of others being run back then,but I dont recall Joes car ever being beaten by another Griff,until we had stripped and rebuilt his second car that is.

Last edited by terence; 16 Mar 2010 at 17:36.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2653617)   #654
turbster
Rookie

England
West Yorkshire
turbster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
It was a Tuscan V6 which runs in HSCC 70's roadsports.....
Swinging Sixties #3 TVR Tuscan V8
Old 27 Mar 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2660931)   #655
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTinSURREY View Post
I see we now have over 43 pages of posts relating to the 400 Griff so I'm hoping someone out there can point a less well educated person in the direction of the right car.

I'm currently searching for a correct FIA prepared and competitive Griffith 400 for historic racing. Due to a longer term desire to race the car at Goodwood it must be a 1965 car and I'd prefer to purchase something with history that would help with opening doors to key events.

I notice Jamie Boot's car is for sale and also the ex-Ronnie Farmer machine so I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether these two cars fit the bill or whether there are other cars out there that are more suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew
Hi,

Simon Garrad has just got papers on his Griff 400, fully rebuilt, repainted and going up for sale this week, I can't comment on price, but would expect it to have somewhere near six digits.

He's had Chrsi Schirle/Classic World re-build the car, NR did the arches, and Classic World the paint. He's spent a fortune, but one a few cars with current papers.

He's a good friend of mine, so if you want his contact details, pls mail me, he'll be at Silverstone with me tomorrow (Sunday),I'm racing the Alfa, and he's coming along to help/support me.

Cheers

Mark
Old 27 Mar 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2661052)   #656
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark garritt View Post
Hi,

Simon Garrad has just got papers on his Griff 400, fully rebuilt, repainted and going up for sale this week, I can't comment on price, but would expect it to have somewhere near six digits.

He's had Chrsi Schirle/Classic World re-build the car, NR did the arches, and Classic World the paint. He's spent a fortune, but one a few cars with current papers.

He's a good friend of mine, so if you want his contact details, pls mail me, he'll be at Silverstone with me tomorrow (Sunday),I'm racing the Alfa, and he's coming along to help/support me.

Cheers

Mark
Are you saying this is the new wide body 2009+ FIA spec ala Shipman / Johnson cars. It is not just arches to get to this spec, it is the whole from flitch panels pulled out and a totally different body - from what I gather (having discusssed with NR), only he will do the bodies on these if using the "New" Wide, bonnet, front of the tubs and bonnet. NR is not selling just the rear wings (unless the old style - as I have just had a set for my 200).

I believe NR has had 2 full tubs and bodys done after the 2009 SPA to this spec. If it is not like this then it can't be fia'd unless a standard width car.

Any Pic's? What car number is it?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2661085)   #657
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm,sounds like there'll soon be a lot of Griffs out there with hardly anywhere to race at this rate,just a handfull of FIA conforming cars? Should help fill the grid for Barry's race's at Spa though,if he has any space.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2661114)   #658
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmh, and Barries race is already one of the fullest grids.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2661192)   #659
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel View Post
Mmmh, and Barries race is already one of the fullest grids.
I can get an entry

Just have to have the bar far the Fastest Griff to stand a chance of giving Cheng and Phil a run for there money
Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2661196)   #660
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
I can get an entry

Just have to have the bar far the Fastest Griff to stand a chance of giving Cheng and Phil a run for there money
I will be the most interested spectator to see that. A NASCAR Griffith that would wind the route back to the US would it?????
Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2661207)   #661
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
I will be the most interested spectator to see that. A NASCAR Griffith that would wind the route back to the US would it?????
It will need some poke to run with or stand a chance against the 600+bhp Fake Snake
Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2661209)   #662
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
It will need some poke to run with or stand a chance against the 600+bhp Fake Snake
We'll be thrilled to know how , Jelly!!!!!!!!
Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2661219)   #663
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
We'll be thrilled to know how , Jelly!!!!!!!!
Coming together nicely now Esper. Engine arriving soon.

I think Steve Wattons Ex-car could have run with it - it was truely Mental. The Class A Mogs kept it off the top step for a good few years (ala Oli Bryants one), none have them have run in the last few years (not that there are many (Most Class B - alot less power).
Old 27 Mar 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2661239)   #664
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Coming together nicely now Esper. Engine arriving soon.

I think Steve Wattons Ex-car could have run with it - it was truely Mental. The Class A Mogs kept it off the top step for a good few years (ala Oli Bryants one), none have them have run in the last few years (not that there are many (Most Class B - alot less power).
I am just interested form the engineering point of view!!! what does an UberGriff look like!!!!!
Old 27 Mar 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2661278)   #665
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
I am just interested form the engineering point of view!!! what does an UberGriff look like!!!!!
Just like any other wide body griff (new or old style fia ok'd), with a good bit more Mojo, the biggest vented discs you can get in a set of 15's with race spec AP's, stickies instead of ZZ's (though sizes availible from Yoko ar a tad limited, but probably enough).

Mine will be like this i.e. a 200

Steve's ex 400 basically looks the same from the front.

So no Nastily Modded Hillclimb type thing (the way it would have to go to run at the front in something like SGT!!)! Like these:-

Not my bag!!
Old 28 Mar 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2661441)   #666
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Totally B'stardised! I hope a Griff will corner as well as a Cobra Jelli.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2661599)   #667
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
you's are not all still talking about these old crates are you??
N
Old 28 Mar 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2661729)   #668
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What I was thinking . . .

It takes a decent hand to round da track. I've seen terrible handling - think of the big Astons - and laptimes that make you wonder. It takes balls of steel to pilot any car well under 3 mins. Chengs Cob is not just any other car. It took 'em a few years to get to where they are now.

Check the silly GS Vette at last years 6 Hrs: it takes more than 600 plus brake to reach ans stay on P1!

All the best though and we will cheer when you enter your car in Barries race. Should be fun!
Old 28 Mar 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2661851)   #669
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Terry, I presume you are talking about the Iffy Hillclimb devices! (Eek) and not mine .

Neil, is yours coming out this year? Must be close now.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2661911)   #670
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Terry, I presume you are talking about the Iffy Hillclimb devices! (Eek) and not mine .

just fitted the fans. oil cooler is now in. pricing up yards and yards of aeroquip and fittings, need to get a big water header tank and Oil catch tank, few other bits and bobs and wiring. Not far away now but as ever time, money etc etc.

If I shake her down and do a couple of races this year I will be happy.

N.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2661963)   #671
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
after all these megawide devices one should forget how it all was................
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4429.JPG  
Old 28 Mar 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2661981)   #672
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

I dont talk about cars I've not seen.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2662023)   #673
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
after all these megawide devices one should forget how it all was................
Not megawide - they are only about 1-1.5" wider each side.

Nice Garage Got enough oil there.

How many engines?

Will the Webbered lumps fit under that bulge, ala the below:-

You do know that you are not allowed (with all this anal fia cobblers) an open fronted large bulge on any Griff now, it has to be the std very shallow bulge and not nasa ducts either (yep I think it is BALLs too).

Traction should be interesting.

Neil - what are you planning to race it in if it come out? HSCC, CSCC, Thoroughbreds (come on).

Old 30 Mar 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2663547)   #674
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you saying this is the new wide body 2009+ FIA spec ala Shipman / Johnson cars. It is not just arches to get to this spec, it is the whole from flitch panels pulled out and a totally different body - from what I gather (having discusssed with NR), only he will do the bodies on these if using the "New" Wide, bonnet, front of the tubs and bonnet. NR is not selling just the rear wings (unless the old style - as I have just had a set for my 200).

I believe NR has had 2 full tubs and bodys done after the 2009 SPA to this spec. If it is not like this then it can't be fia'd unless a standard width car.

Any Pic's? What car number is it?
Yes it's the proper thing, NR did the bodywork and Chris Schirle/Classic World the rest. John H was out a couple of weeks ago inspecting, and it goes up for sale next week.

The car used to run previously in Scotland on hill climbs, green and quite tatty.

Be interesting to see what it makes

Mark
Old 30 Mar 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2663557)   #675
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Had a look at the Classic World site.

Seems they are building a combination of two TVR I have owned. The 3000M and an LS (Chevy) engined beast ala like my Chimvette http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9094136&hl=en#. Gentle Launch

Off topic.

Chim was Rather Quick!!! (LS6 - first LS engined (road) TVR - 405bhp).

Last edited by jellison; 30 Mar 2010 at 15:10.