Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 May 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2690503)   #251
Sherlock
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Sherlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds right, I remember that Shelsley meeting being around the time of the main summer holiday. BTW, it was pure chance that I photographed the red 6R4 coming down the hill, I thought it looked somewhat appropriate, being followed by one of it's 'ancestors'. I'm sure I can find some more material, my nephew is the chief photographer in the family, no doubt he has some 6R4 photos, & to be honest, his photos are much better than mine!
Old 16 May 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2691321)   #252
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Sherlock - Does that mean that photo is the only one you took of that red 6R4 at Shelsley Walsh that day? I was hoping for some action shots and some static paddock shots as well.
Old 17 May 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2692799)   #253
Sherlock
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
There should be more photos, after the usual temporary 'disappearances' of such things during a house move, I am, when time permits, scanning all my photos on to an external hard drive, hoping to come across them soon.
Old 17 May 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2692876)   #254
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Thanks Sherlock - any MG Metro 6R4 images would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure you realise by now, but any images of this red hillclimb car are of even greater interest to me at the moment.
Old 23 May 2010, 23:50 (Ref:2696845)   #255
Sherlock
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Hi David, apologies for my temporary absence, I have been distracted by an exceptionally busy week at work! Still searching boxes of negatives, but my nephew thinks he may have the photos.
I suspect you already know this, but there is a thread on Uphill Racers forum, from Garry Cliff, the current owner of the red 6R4, which is now in New Zealand. He is also looking for Roy Standley, but has obviously started his own thread, entitled MG 6R4, in the 'Club Hillclimb' section. I thought he may be an interesting man for you to talk to if you haven't already done so.
Old 24 May 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2697022)   #256
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
No problems about any delays in further contributions Sherlock - we all have other things going on in our lives outside the world of Ten Tenths! As and when you can mate - as and when you can.

Thanks also for the heads up regarding Garry's post on Uphill Racers. I too had seen it, and I have been in touch with Garry for the last few weeks now so I am aware of where this car now resides. Many thanks for thinking about me though, and keeping me informed.

I hope you didn't mind but I used your photo of this 6R4 (the one with the Mini Cooper following) and posted it over on Uphill Racers to hopefully jog some people's memory about the car. I did credit yourself when I posted it, and hope you didn't mind. I suppose I really should have asked you first however.
Old 24 May 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2697412)   #257
Sherlock
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
No problem, glad to be of whatever help I can & I was actually quite pleased to see my photo on Uphill Racers, thanks for giving me a mention with that. I'm always happy for people to make good use of any of my personal photos.
Old 25 May 2010, 08:57 (Ref:2697683)   #258
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Thanks for that Sherlock - nice to know that I hadn't overstepped the mark by posting an image without your permission.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other photos you can unearth on this ex-Taylor/Power/Llewellyn/Standley hillclimb car.
Old 25 May 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2697826)   #259
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A few more rallycross 6R4 pics.

We've already had one pic of Brodie Branch's car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/howiend...7623103164915/
I had a search through my old pics, and think I've found a couple more- the colourschemes are different, but rallycross drivers at that time tended to keep the same race numbers, so I suspect this is him....

First pic of the plain white car suggests maybe one of his early appearances- possibly a Lydden winterseries round c1989/90-ish. The car is still carrying the registration plate- looks like E666EVL

Second pic in red and white from about 1991- could be the Lydden British Championship round from April '91. Maybe fresh from a rebuild given the plain white wheelarches and front spoiler on a red car? Green/red/yellow car in the background looks like Morten Andersen.
Attached Thumbnails
branch white.jpg   branch.jpg  
Old 25 May 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2697837)   #260
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I mentioned Morten Andersen before- his car was in the background of a couple of pics I've posted before, including the shot of Brodie Banch in the previous post. I reckon this is probably the next frame after that pic- certainly he seems to be driving into a fairly substantial dust cloud from whoever is in front of him....

IIRC Andersen was a UK-based Scandinavian (based in Redhill according to the Lydden programme I've got here) who I think returned to rallycross around 1990/1 after some time out of the sport. He initially ran a green 4wd Porsche 911, and then this distinctively-coloured 6R4.

Next up are a couple of pics from 1989 showing cars we've mentioned before. Not very good pics, but they seem to be the only ones I have showing these particular cars.

Tom Bissett's distinctive ex-Gollop car- as mentioned before, Bissett kept the red stripes of the Silkolene colours, but on a gold, rather than black base
The yellow car with blue stripes is a mystery to me at the moment- I'll dig out my 1989 rallycross programmes to see if I can identify it
Attached Thumbnails
andersen.jpg   Bissett.jpg   mcadden.jpg  

Old 25 May 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2697845)   #261
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike Turpin

Sean McAdden?
Old 25 May 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2697857)   #262
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Mike Turpin

Sean McAdden?
That's a good call. I thought Turpin's car was always plain yellow, but it could well be Sean McAdden though....
Old 25 May 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2698068)   #263
RichWard
Rookie

England
RichWard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sean McAdden, no doubt. If that is the same round as the one I'm thinking of, the engine went up in flames on the run down the hill. I think this may have also been the same round John Welch went backwards into the tyre-wall there too. McAdden also ran the car in plain yellow too, but 24 was certainly his number.
Old 25 May 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2698237)   #264
KA
Veteran

Rich- Thanks for confirming it's the McAdden car.
It must have been one of the first couple of rallycross meetings I ever went to, in either the summer or early autumn of 89, after I moved to Kent that spring. I definitely remember John Welch putting the Astra backwards into the tyre wall at the bottom of the hill, and I reckon it might have been the same meeting as well
Old 8 Jun 2010, 05:38 (Ref:2706489)   #265
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Many thanks for the latest batch of your rallycross photos KA - and nice to see some of the more unusual drivers / cars for a change rather than more of Will, Steve, Denis, etc...

I went to the 2010 Rally Show at Chatsworth on Saturday, and the folowing six Metro 6R4s were present...

Gary Hewitt - unregistered - static display only
Jonathan Rennison - E31 BAR - static display only
Warren Philliskirk - G361 SCJ - took part in the History of Rallying demonstration organised by John Davenport
Jeff Williamson - E651 BJN - took part in the stage sessions
Robert Hill - D25 WWC - took part in the stage sessions
Charlie Blaney - D831 XWV (ex-John Price Champion / Roger Dyson car EXI 1465) - took part in the stage sessions

I'll get some photos uploaded over the next few days.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2706552)   #266
pixelpimp
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
pixelpimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chatsworth 6R4 pics

Hello all, just joined the forum and find 6R4s fascinating.
I've been very lucky to have been driven in two genuine Pond cars and actually drove A20ROV before it was taken apart.
Here's some of my pics from Chatsworth.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2706608)   #267
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Hi 'pixelpimp' (Michael?) and welcome to Ten Tenths! It is always nice to meet a fellow 6R4 supporter, especially someone with some quality photographs to contribute to this topic!

I have seen your work before - mainly on flickr I think - and always enjoy seeing new material, so I thank you for that.

Incidentally, the blue & white car isn't actually a genuine 6R4 (to be really petty!), but a front-engined Rover V8 powered rear wheel drive replica! Sounded ace though.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2706688)   #268
pixelpimp
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
pixelpimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome David, had no idea about the blue car!
I'm afraid my posts will always be picture heavy, here's some more from the old archive:

Old 8 Jun 2010, 15:59 (Ref:2706787)   #269
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Having too may photos is never an issue in my book Michael - the more the merrier I say! I so wish I'd had the same attitude 20-odd years ago when I first started photographing 6R4s!

By the way, all of the cars shown in your last batch of images are 100% genuine 6R4s!
Old 8 Jun 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2706876)   #270
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport View Post
Having too may photos is never an issue in my book Michael - the more the merrier I say! I so wish I'd had the same attitude 20-odd years ago when I first started photographing 6R4s!
Oh absolutely, if I had a old fashioned zoom lense a few years earlier than I did and then a digital auto thingy nowadays if I still took photos I'd have loads more varied pics to share.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2712009)   #271
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWard View Post
Sean McAdden, no doubt. If that is the same round as the one I'm thinking of, the engine went up in flames on the run down the hill. I think this may have also been the same round John Welch went backwards into the tyre-wall there too. McAdden also ran the car in plain yellow too, but 24 was certainly his number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Rich- Thanks for confirming it's the McAdden car.
It must have been one of the first couple of rallycross meetings I ever went to, in either the summer or early autumn of 89, after I moved to Kent that spring. I definitely remember John Welch putting the Astra backwards into the tyre wall at the bottom of the hill, and I reckon it might have been the same meeting as well
The Welch Astra shunt at Lydden- the conditions in the McAdden pic a few posts back look filthy enough that it might be from the same meeting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLNmWmCttxI

The clip shows several 6R4s- Steve Palmer (466), Michael Shield (52), Vic Moyce (366) Aiden Creegan (173), and Tom Bissett (#12) before repainting the car gold- (In which case my Bissett pic a few posts back must be from a different meeting?)

IIRC I was spectating from somewhere near the start- my memory of the Welch accident is pretty much from a similar viewpoint to the video

More from the same meeting- 6R4 action starts at about 3m00. Shield, Moyce and possibly Guy Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XMu6...eature=related

Last edited by KA; 14 Jun 2010 at 16:05.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2713011)   #272
metro 6r2
Rookie

metro 6r2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all that 6R4 knowledge I am sure you can tell me a lot about C998 LCA which I now own. During the current rebuild the car shows signs of being painted Computer Vision blue in the early days. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 16 Jun 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2713094)   #273
KA
Veteran

C998LCA was an R-E-D car- If the registration number and bodyshell still match, I think it was Willie Rutherford's car used on the National Championship and the RAC

Are the traces of blue definitely Computervision blue?

I don't remember what colour Rutherford's car was all season, but pretty sure that on the RAC it was in an overall blue colourscheme, with sponsorship from Sanyo and Comet.
RED boss Geoff Fielding's own car (C288JFM) which was usually white (I think?) also had the blue Sanyo/Comet colours for the RAC, the two cars being entered as 'Team Sanyo Racing with Comet' or something like that.

I'm sure Rutherford's C998LCA was blue colours on other events as well- I'm sure there was an Autosport front cover pic of it at some time in the year

The only RED car I can think of in Computervision colours was David Llewellin's late-season car D750PDM, which ran in Computervision livery in the second half of the British Open season (Scottish, Ulster and Manx I think) and the RAC.

Last edited by KA; 16 Jun 2010 at 11:06.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2713616)   #274
ollyuser
Rookie

ollyuser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gloplas metro 6r4

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any info or pictures of a gloplas 6r4. It ran with sof 406 number plate and was driven by andy sharam and ade jefferies around 1988/89/90. Any info would be great :-)

Thanks
Olly Jefferies
Old 17 Jun 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2713935)   #275
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro 6r2 View Post
With all that 6R4 knowledge I am sure you can tell me a lot about C998 LCA which I now own. During the current rebuild the car shows signs of being painted Computer Vision blue in the early days. Let me know your thoughts.

Good evening '6r2' and a warm welcome to Ten Tenths to you - and to C998 LCA!

As KA rightly pointed out, C998 LCA was indeed rallied by Willie Rutherford during the 1986 British rally season. It started it's life in white with blue Sanyo / Comet logos but was then painted blue with white logo as the season progressed. The car was prepared by Rally Engineering Developments (known as R-E-D) in Widnes, Cheshire, and they also looked after the 'sister' cars C996 LCA for David Llewellyn and C997 LCA for Harri Toivenen.

The blue that this car was painted was indeed very close to Computervision blue - see the photo below with Willie Rutherford stood alongside it - which was taken at a pre-1986 Lombard RAC Rally shakedown. Full credit to the original photographer - 'the' Ian Grindrod from britishrally.co.uk...

I do also recall that it was actually sprayed Computervision livery by a subsequent owner before Steve Winter / Andy Elliot started rallying it - I'll see if I have any photos though.

Events wise, C998 LCA contested the following rallies in 1986 - Granite, Manx, Port Talbot, Mewla, Lindisfarne, Quip, Audi Sport and the RAC.

So what are your plans for the car then '6r2'?