Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 15 Jun 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2712417)   #1
Nine468
Rookie

Nine468 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race suits?

Hi folks.
Im after some advice on specing a race suit.
I need to get one made to measure.
No probs there, as ill no dought get it made by AWS.
I could just do with knowing what to have "built into" the suit.
IE,
Floating sleeves,
Soft collar,
etc etc etc ..
Ide like to get it right first time, as its not a cheap thing to get wrong.
What have you had "built into" yours, OR what would you like to have done to improve yours..???
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2712482)   #2
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I had a suit made up by AWS at the end of last year. Good quality, endless choice of fabric, colour and personalisation - and great VFM.

From my experience, ensure that you have enough room, tight fit suits should only be for the young and fit. Comfort is key so allow space for the gut to grow a few inches and for the need to climb in and out of a tight seat if nesc - ensure enough give in the crotch/back and shoulders/armpits to bend and twist.

It is easier to make a large suit fit better in time but not practical to try and make a suit that is too small fit.

Nick at AWS is v good
Old 15 Jun 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2712532)   #3
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
second McMuttley on the 'comfort' angle... better to be a little loose than a little tight IMHO. And don't try and measure yourself get someone else to do it or it will be wrong!

In terms of features - floating sleeves definately, the rest is preference.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2712613)   #4
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how the AWS suits price up, but I always have mine made by MIR in Italy. They're well known for karting suits, which they've been producting for decades, but have over the last 5 years been making car racing kit. Racing For Holland always were kitted by them (Jan Lammer's LMS team.)

I've sorted a few people out with MIR suits over the years (I'm not a dealer by any means, just on good terms with the factory) & all the extras you're asking about come as standard on the MIR products.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2712621)   #5
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a sparco, was very tight and uncomfortable. My Alpinstars GP Pro seems to be very comfortable, fits welll and is not so heavy. You get what you pay for.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2712744)   #6
v8dave
Rookie

England
North of Watford
v8dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire suits work by having a trapped layer of air between you and the hazard, get a baggy one and that layer of air will be thicker. And don't just think fire, if you have hot fluid get on your suit can you lift it away from your skin?

Buy something that is tailored to let you move - don't get something with 'stretchy' fabric inserts that are woven

Pockets should be on the outer surface and only stitched to the outer.

Dave
Old 15 Jun 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2712876)   #7
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Floating sleeves"

I watched the McClaren twins after the Montreal GP, and their suits seemed weirdly wide at the shoulders, as if they had a tunic on over the overalls. I supposed that this was to provide an even wider area than their manly chests for sponsors names, but is this the 'floating sleeve'?

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/default.stm

JOhn
Old 15 Jun 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2712882)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>don't get something with 'stretchy' fabric inserts that are woven

Sort of. Most F1 suits make extensive use of stretch panels. Inspect the way they're stitched in and the quality of the fabric used. Check the manufacturer can do decent seams that don't pull apart, e.g. Uvex have some really strong wrap-over seams between knitted and woven fabric. They use one separate stretch panel for every layer, and each panel is a different size so the seams aren't on top of each other. Quality.

>>>>>>>Pockets should be on the outer surface and only stitched to the outer.

Beg to differ, Bill Simpson (Impact) makes them with set-in pockets and he knows a thing or two about safety.

Lightness is what you pay for. Also breathability. Check the weight of the suit before you buy it - not just the gm/sqm, but the physical weight. Nomex is from the nylon family and you sweat like a good 'un. In entry-level suits I reckon Sabelt are the lightest and most comfy. Pay a couple of hundred more and you're in F1-territory.

Don't be too worried about MTM unless you're an odd shape. Like stated above, you need the air gap, it's not a fashion parade. If you're tall look for German or UK, if you're shorter and slim look for Italian!

And look after it! Take it off before you work on your car or you'll get oil on it and you'll be a candle.....................

HTH.

Last edited by midgetman; 15 Jun 2010 at 22:58. Reason: Spelling
Old 15 Jun 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2712885)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
"Floating sleeves"

I watched the McClaren twins after the Montreal GP, and their suits seemed weirdly wide at the shoulders, as if they had a tunic on over the overalls. I supposed that this was to provide an even wider area than their manly chests for sponsors names, but is this the 'floating sleeve'?

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/default.stm

JOhn
McLaren do have an "unusual" fashion sense, think middle aged men in orange t-shirts when they win Look at JB's Alpinestars suit last year, it's very different.

If you've never worn a modern, lightweight, breathable suit you won't believe the difference. It's like having a second skin, you just don't know you're wearing it.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2712896)   #10
v8dave
Rookie

England
North of Watford
v8dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
If you've never worn a modern, lightweight, breathable suit you won't believe the difference. It's like having a second skin, you just don't know you're wearing it.
And on a typical british day at snetterton when the east wind has had a run up from the urals ?

My Old Sparco suit had a stretchy fabric type panel across the small of the back and after a year or two I really noticed the cold wind.

If the pockets are set in but maintain the number of layers then no problem.

Best advice I had when I started was to make sure the ankle and wrist cuffs did not ride up when you sat in your normal driving position, if you have a gap that's no layers of protection.

Max has mentioned the other good advice - if you not racing take it off and wear something cheaper to get dirty fixing the car. £££ race suit or £ jeans trom Tesco? should be obvious.

Dave
Old 16 Jun 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2713010)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

Yeah, I'd forgotten how miserable Snett can get. Extra layers then. FIA underwear is warm and adds protection Staying warm by having heavier cloth is s-o old fashioned, just ask the outdoor clothing manufacturers.

At MG Live last year my co-driver had to hang his suit up to air after the race 'cos it was mingin', mine was fresh and comfortable.

You should have come to the Roadshow last week Dave, you'd have seen the difference.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2713028)   #12
Nine468
Rookie

Wow, some fab advice + recomendations there chaps. Thanks.,
But keep them coming...
I posted this on another forum, but got nowhere near as good a reply,s as these....
Old 16 Jun 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2713087)   #13
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine468 View Post
Wow, some fab advice + recomendations there chaps. Thanks.,
But keep them coming...
I posted this on another forum, but got nowhere near as good a reply,s as these....
There's another forum?
Old 17 Jun 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2713944)   #14
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He posted on 'stonheds....

I still stand by Impact - Bill Simpson invented the fire suit as we know it, and even though Impact had some issues recently, Bill has straightened them out.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2731092)   #15
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, there's a reason why the majority of Le Mans teams use Stand 21 suits... the stretchy suits they make to measure are great. Much more serious manufacturer as well than some of the guys mentioned on here... but top end kit so you pays your money, takes your choice...
Worth mentioning one of the PODIUM drivers in LMP1 at Le Mans last year wore a Stand 21 suit during the race that was made to look like his Sparco that they were being paid to use... ended up on the podium in an unworn Sparco suit... but he insisted on a Stand 21 suit for the race because it was "a league beyond" apparently....
IMHO of course... but I am just buying my 7th Stand21 suit...
Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2731487)   #16
Nine468
Rookie

Thanks chaps for all the great advice..
I eventually went for a AWS racewear lightweight suit. [ made to measure]..
Good service + good fit.
Lets hope it serves me well for a few years to come...
Old 24 Jul 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2731943)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

To be fair Rick, at a grand a throw the Stand 21 suits are probably outside the budget of most of us. Equally, IMO for the club racer the cost/benefit ratio probably falls apart at about 600.

Nine468, glad Nick sorted you out OK.

Max
Old 24 Jul 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2731969)   #18
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a few AWS suits, always made to measure, being a tall lanky git with long arms!

Your comment about the LeMans runners mostly running Stand21, is like mine comment elsewhere about Indy & NASCAR drivers wearing Impact. I looked at Stand21 for my latest suit, but fell off the perch when they gave me the quote.

Nice suits though....
Old 25 Jul 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2732358)   #19
andrew1988
Rookie

andrew1988 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roughly how much is an AWS suit out of interest guys?
Old 25 Jul 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2732504)   #20
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look on the website, all depends on what you're looking for.