Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1021148)   #26
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparantly he has improved a lot. But I don't see the logic in replacing one rookie with another. Surly somone like Jaques Lazier would be a better choice?
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:34 (Ref:1021153)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bell's stint in F3000 was filled with incidents and collisions with other cars.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1021158)   #28
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hm, looking at Bell's Champ Car oval stats, he hasn't exactly been stellar there either with a best finish of 12th (twice) in five oval starts.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:46 (Ref:1021167)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bell is the confirmed replacement.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1021171)   #30
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Bell's stint in F3000 was filled with incidents and collisions with other cars.
In 10 races he was involved in three race incidents, one of which I know wasn't his own making (being taken out by an Italian driver during the season finale at Monza).

He finished on the podium once, at Hungaroring.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:56 (Ref:1021176)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

He wasn't particularly quick, and while he had three incidents which led to retiring from races, there were plenty of other bumps and spins during the year.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1021193)   #32
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
He wasn't particularly quick, and while he had three incidents which led to retiring from races, there were plenty of other bumps and spins during the year.
I just read through the race reports from each race, and those were the only incidents mentioned.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1021195)   #33
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rookies are hardly ever quick in F3000, and he improved as the seaosn went on. Given the chance, I think he can be a major assset to the IRL - he's young, photogenic, talented, American, and could prove to be one who got away from CART.

Where's BobbyB?
Old 30 Jun 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1021253)   #34
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
The headline on the IRL site said "Panther to Replace Mark Taylor"...
Tricky, getting its paws round the steering wheel.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1021263)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1021304)   #36
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden

Last edited by rustyfan; 30 Jun 2004 at 11:34.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1021327)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Mark Taylor retired from cricket years ago, I wasnt even aware he was taking up motor sports, what with the Fujitsu ads on the teev, and cricket commentating for #9/Beeb all round the world...

Who'd have thought....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Jun 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1021461)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Windtunnel and the Indy Star both have stated that Simmons will be the likely replacement for Little Al....

It is not confirmed....but there is a news conference at IMS today at 11 a.m. with Little Al....

Patrick will probably annunce the change at the end of that event...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1021600)   #39
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame for Taylor, I don't see where else he will land a ride now... Good news for Townsend Bell though, he deserves another chance. I like both drivers and wish TB good luck.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1021939)   #40
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I think Townsend Bell has come along way since his CART days, and yes, he does deserve another chance.

He had an F1 test ride with Jaguar, and did pretty well to. He is one of America's big hopes for F1, so he must be pretty highly regarded now.

It could also be the American angle there playing to. Team owners have to be hearing it from the fans about the dwindling number of American drivers, and they have also seen what publicity can be had with an American driver behind the wheel, when Buddy Rice won the 500.

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jun 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1021945)   #41
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Townsend Bell is not American.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1021947)   #42
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Allow me to correct myself before anybody else does?
Old 30 Jun 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1021978)   #43
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Allow me to correct myself before anybody else does?
Darn, you beat me to it...
Old 1 Jul 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1022013)   #44
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I thought Mark Taylor retired from cricket years ago, I wasnt even aware he was taking up motor sports, what with the Fujitsu ads on the teev, and cricket commentating for #9/Beeb all round the world...

Who'd have thought....
Thats not funny GTR...

...I havn't heard any problems about fitting into the car, have you?
Old 1 Jul 2004, 06:51 (Ref:1022118)   #45
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hahahahaha , Tubby Taylor dumped from the IRL , thats funny GTR

well I guess congrats to Townsend Bell , lets see how he goes , I hope he can make a real go of it for his careers sake I guess
Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1022203)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mark Taylor always struck me as a rich boy who wasn't "hungry for success".

His smoking and lack of fitness left something to be desired.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1022668)   #47
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then you dont know Mark, the only reason he is as good as he is is because he is hungry, smart and determined. When he first started he was terrible always at the back and driving like a numpty. The he started to realise he could drive well and use the data system that we had to learn. He did hundreds of test days and put 100% into it.

Unlike most drivers he is the sort who will get to the track early to set up everything, offer everyone a cuppa and help in any way he can.

He is not a like your typical rich boy, his dad is self made millionaire from a council estate in liverpool, he has a lot of respect for his dad and works just as hard, just like his brother James who works for the family business.

His smoking yes may be a problem but it doesnt make much difference. His fitness though is spot on, he trains every day.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1022695)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

Good insight.

Just goes to show that perceptions are often different to reality.

Thanks for the real story.

Old 2 Jul 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1023394)   #49
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
When he first started he was terrible always at the back and driving like a numpty.
what's a numpty??
Old 2 Jul 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1023538)   #50
Kicking-back
Veteran

An idiot.

Someone who does stupid things.