Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Apr 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1283088)   #76
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps; but more likely I'd expect them to confirm that they'll run factory Audis in the LMES next year. After all, although Joest has a long history with Porsche, I don't think it has ever been a works Porsche team, whereas the recent ties to the Audi factory are very strong indeed.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1283091)   #77
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or it could be racing the Audi R10 next year in either the ALMs or LMes.

Last edited by Nordic; 20 Apr 2005 at 15:39.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1283095)   #78
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tend to think that Audi will have Champion run in the ALMS and Joest in the LMES.

I'm wondering about Freisinger. They are sitting out this season and I really have never heard a formal reason why. I think they could be lined up for a Porsche team in Europe. Although they certainly do not represent the history of Penske.

One other thought on Porsche and possible teams. I wonder how Alex Job felt after hearing that Penske got the nod?

Last edited by jhansen; 20 Apr 2005 at 15:44.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1283099)   #79
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
I don't really see Joest running in LMP2 with a Porsche. I have my doubts that the Porsche will run in the LMES next year anyway, at least the first half anyway.

I agree the Audi in the LMES is the best bet. But not many saw the Penske link coming so it may be something completly different!

When is the anoucement coming?
Old 20 Apr 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1283204)   #80
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to complicate the speculation further, de Chaunac did say that the Audi/Oreca project was for the long term....
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1283217)   #81
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske does seem to be a strange choice... have they been in sportscar racing before in recent times? I'm willing to bet that when the Porsche gets released to customers (in 2007, I think?) that Alex Job could be very high up in the queue.

With Porsche works teams, that does at the minute happen to be Gruppe M, who do have very large plans for the future, and quickly too. Could see a battle royale between them and Freisinger as to who gets a Euro works job? Gruppe M have a lot more to prove, but by '06 Freisinger will have gone a year without setting foot on the track.

Given that Joest are running Audis in the DTM I'd generally guess they won't change manufacturers anytime soon, particularly with the success they gave Audi with the works R8's.

This could mean 4 works teams - 2 Porsche and 2 Audi - just think what a battle that would make at Le Mans - that's 8 cars altogether!
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1283221)   #82
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually I have just realised my mistake on my last sentence of my post there, because Porsche would have to upgrade to LMP1 lol - sorry dudes!
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1283223)   #83
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Penske raced the awesome Porsche 917 in Can Am in the 1970s.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1283231)   #84
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Ah ok thanks for that - I'd always seen Penske as a temporary 70's F1 team, then a US single seater legend.

With the team being used to open-topped cars, I imagine they'd get on quite well with a prototype...
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1283256)   #85
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske also had success in Trans Am back when it meant something.

Last edited by jhansen; 20 Apr 2005 at 18:50.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1283594)   #86
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Penske had success with the Ferrari 512 & 512M in the early 70's as well
Old 21 Apr 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1283927)   #87
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
There is a picture of them in days of old in the latest issue of Autosport. Quite fitting with words said in this thread that the picture they choose to use has "Porsche + Audi" written on the side
Old 21 Apr 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1283935)   #88
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, well, I wouldn't count on the two companies staying out of each other's playpen for too long.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Apr 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1287043)   #89
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Pictures Porsche LMP2....

Old 25 Apr 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1287084)   #90
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bit confused by that - that is not the new porsche but what Lola is it? an what engine - obviously this is not the new Penske - Porsche? or is it?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1287096)   #91
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Its an old B2K/40 and no it isn't (even close to) the penske car.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1287397)   #92
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Nor do I expect the Penske cars to carry Gulf sponsorship. Now, Sunoco would be great...
Old 26 Apr 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1287494)   #93
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geesh, you had me going there for a while...

I looked at those pics and thought, "Porsche would never let themselves be seen in such an ugly, old fashioned looking car...".

Then I read Graham's post. Thanks, Bro!
Old 26 Apr 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1287800)   #94
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Penske had success with the Ferrari 512 & 512M in the early 70's as well
They also took the only win for the Lola T70 in the World Sportscar Championship, at Daytona in 1969.

I think using Penske is a good choice. Sunoco sponsorship would round it all off nicely!

Last edited by krt917; 26 Apr 2005 at 11:41.
Old 12 May 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1299363)   #95
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Heard from a source that attended the Laguna Seca GARRA race that Porsche will drop its factory support from GARRA and its ALMS GT2 teams. They will focus soley on the prototype program.

Don't know if that is gospel, but I wouldn't doubt this at all. Porsche will take this program very seriously.
Old 12 May 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1299466)   #96
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Just drop support from ALMS, or will Gruppe M and Europe suffer too?
Old 12 May 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1299473)   #97
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Not sure about Gruppe M. I'll ask.

But it at least puts the factory assisted Porsche GT2 teams on the same field as the other GT2 teams. That would really increase the competition in an already very competitive class.
Old 12 May 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1299479)   #98
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed Jeremy it would make things a lot closer in both FIA GT and the ALMS not forgetting the LMES too. As it is at the moment Gruppe M are walking away with everything in the GT2 class at the moment, and it isnt good for the LMES or FIA GT. The situation in the ALMS however is a little differnt IMO, the works AJR car is at the moment not dominating and is under heavy pressure from the works Panoz and Flying Lizard cars.
Old 12 May 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1299500)   #99
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Agreed Chris, I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be a bad thing. It also raises the profile of the P2 class, which is a good thing.
Old 13 May 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1299647)   #100
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Indeed Jeremy it would make things a lot closer in both FIA GT and the ALMS not forgetting the LMES too. As it is at the moment Gruppe M are walking away with everything in the GT2 class at the moment, and it isnt good for the LMES or FIA GT.
The GruppeM car in the LMES is an altogether different beast from the FIA GT cars - And of course it failed to finish at Spa - Porsche were pressed hard (and beaten) by both Ferrari and TVR there.