Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 May 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3250632)   #2826
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
What are the chances that next year Schubert won't be a factory supported team?
Not very big, I would think. By no means all of what happened to them was in their control, and they have been a mainstay of BMW's European programs for a long time. They are not going to jetison them over this.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3250633)   #2827
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Attendance: 210,000
Old 20 May 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3250634)   #2828
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Classic race enjoyed it despite the red flag. So glad it's a Holiday here.

It can be argued if Maxime Martin the 27 year old Belgian BMW Factory driver was born on March 20th 1986 or BORN on May 20th 2013.

Great victory by the Black Falcon boys though and especially Bernd Schneider and Sean Edwards.
Maxime's performance could be compared to Max Papis at Daytona.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3250635)   #2829
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Attendance: 210,000
Over 5 days....

ADAC attendance figures have become a bit of a running gag over the last years, and from what people that were up there yesterday wrote, the crowds looked quite a bit thinner than in years past - perhaps due to the horrible weather conditions. Camping in the rain at 5°C at night isn't exactly fun. Been there, done that, decided I could do without it this year. (And been kicking myself all race long for not being there)
Old 20 May 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3250636)   #2830
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really hope the 'Ring and the race get its future consolidated.

Would love to get to this in the next three years maybe. Going to try for Spa 24 next year, maybe N24 the year after let's see.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3250637)   #2831
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Maxime's performance could be compared to Max Papis at Daytona.
Not sure you can really compare a performance at Daytona with one at the Nordschleife if I'm honest.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3250638)   #2832
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to go here but Spa's first on my list and with the grid there so great thanks to Blancpain the Nurby will still have to wait.

Oh well, one of these days...
Old 20 May 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3250639)   #2833
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good run for the SP6 Dorr Motorsports Z4 for coming back and taking the SP6 class win at the end.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3250640)   #2834
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Not sure you can really compare a performance at Daytona with one at the Nordschleife if I'm honest.
No, but it was the same kind of breakout performance that could turn him from a guy well known only to the anoracks to sportscar racing super-stardom. (Though for Papis Daytona was pretty much the zenith...)
Old 20 May 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3250641)   #2835
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 20 May 2013, 15:27 (Ref:3250646)   #2836
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
No, but it was the same kind of breakout performance that could turn him from a guy well known only to the anoracks to sportscar racing super-stardom. (Though for Papis Daytona was pretty much the zenith...)
Except in this case, people were watching.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3250647)   #2837
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
That was Daytona 1996... but yeah, let's not waste an opportunity to get in a quick anti-GA-bash.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3250648)   #2838
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Rubbish, the race had loads of international teams and attention in 1996. Do you even know it was in 1996 or did you just Bash GA for the sake of it even though it wasn't a GA race?
Old 20 May 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3250690)   #2839
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That was Daytona 1996...
1996!!! Wow, time flies. I remember it, but not that it was that many years ago.
Seems like only yesterday.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 20 May 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3250754)   #2840
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
I'm already excited about next year's N24; hopefully even more top level teams, such as you'd find in the Blancpain Endurance Series, come and do the race. And that it stays dry, as rain racing at the Norschleife totally sucks to watch.
Old 20 May 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3250773)   #2841
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I still don't quite understand where the #25 lost that much time after being comfortably in the lead this morning... were Martin's co-drivers that slow? I don't think they got into an accident or had any big repairs, had they?
Even Martin was not the quickest during the last laps of his amazing wet stint. When the track started drying, the Dunlop-shod Mercs were by far the quickest in the mixed conditions (better intermediate rubber?) and when it was time for slicks, Martin with his Michelins had again the advantage. Nothing away from the young Belgian's great performance, but it was a bit exaggerated with the circumstances and difference in tyre performance and it's a bit unfair to say his teammates would have been slow.
Old 20 May 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3250776)   #2842
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what won the race really, the Dunlop tyres during the mixed conditions (along with some inspired driving from the likes of Bernd Schneider of course).

But thats how despite Martin in the BMW sprinting away from the restart, the Mercedes had established themselves up front by Hour 17 (restart +2).

They then preceded to stay out front with Black Falcon eventually establishing itself over ROWE, before the tracked dried out and Martin put in the amazing final stint.
Old 21 May 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3251049)   #2843
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if Jake's recovered yet? Marc VDS had one hell of a weekend (The Moto2 team won at Le Mans), so I reckon there was a party to match!
As said above, the different chassis/tyre combinations will have affected relative pace, but Max Martin was still lapping 20 full seconds quicker than ANYONE, for large chunks of that last stint. Regardless of tyres, or car, that is impressive stuff.
Old 21 May 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3251103)   #2844
BanjoMaster
Rookie

BanjoMaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why didn't Gazoo use the GTE version of the LFA? At least, I'm looking at pics of the N24 car side by side with pics of the GTE car, and they ain't the same. Did Gazoo cannibalise the GTE for their existing car? It looks like some body parts have been swapped over (front wings for instance). Confused

GTE:

N24 2013 car:

Do my eyes deceive me???

Last edited by BanjoMaster; 21 May 2013 at 12:35. Reason: Pics added
Old 21 May 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3251115)   #2845
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoMaster View Post
Why didn't Gazoo use the GTE version of the LFA? At least, I'm looking at pics of the N24 car side by side with pics of the GTE car, and they ain't the same. Did Gazoo cannibalise the GTE for their existing car? It looks like some body parts have been swapped over (front wings for instance). Confused

GTE:

N24 2013 car:

Do my eyes deceive me???
I can't answer your question, but they sure do look very similar.

What i would like to know is where/when did the LFA GTE come from, who built the beast and why was it not widely raced? (i have never seen it anyway, was it at N24 last year?)
Old 21 May 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3251168)   #2846
polishboy808
Rookie

polishboy808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoMaster View Post

GTE:

N24 2013 car:

Do my eyes deceive me???
The 2013 VLN Car is an evolution of the GTE car if I'm not mistaken. You can see that the majority of the car is still the same, its just a few small aero tweaks to the exterior (and apparently some more changes on the inside), but this is the GTE car.
Old 21 May 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3251250)   #2847
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That Lexus is so super awesome. I had never seen it before last month and had no idea it was a proper GTE racer (although from the looks of it I wasn't very surprised when I heard it is a GTE indeed) but quickly became my favorite photo subject after the Z4 GT3's. It's a shame it's only raced in VLN (as far as I know).

Also, parking was a total disaster on Sunday. Glad VLN isn't as well attended as the N24. Still, when I finally DID find a place to park and got trackside, it was great fun until the rain ended my night at the track.
Old 21 May 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3251258)   #2848
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
What i would like to know is where/when did the LFA GTE come from, who built the beast and why was it not widely raced? (i have never seen it anyway, was it at N24 last year?)
Built by TMG in Cologne as a tech study for possible entry into GTE, shelved after the TS030 P1 programme developed into a full-season one in 2012 as funding was limited. Whether it ever would have raced otherwise, who knows? Given to Gazoo to play with in VLN this year, I suppose mostly because it was there to be run, you can run almost anything in VLN and its lack of pace versus fully developed GTE cars isn't going to produce the negative press it would in an ACO series or GT Open.
Old 21 May 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3251288)   #2849
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Is there a replay stream available somewhere?
Old 21 May 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3251398)   #2850
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I wonder if Jake's recovered yet? Marc VDS had one hell of a weekend (The Moto2 team won at Le Mans), so I reckon there was a party to match!
As said above, the different chassis/tyre combinations will have affected relative pace, but Max Martin was still lapping 20 full seconds quicker than ANYONE, for large chunks of that last stint. Regardless of tyres, or car, that is impressive stuff.
Well, the Frikadelli Porsche posted a 8.28 a few laps earlier (than Martin's 8.22) but everyone was saying Martin was the quickest while doing 8.30s. I'm still saying that Michelin then had the advantage and Martin partly stood out because Dunlop didn't have the pace and many of the other drivers were just nursing their cars home. Stunning drive, nevertheless, I just don't like exaggerating