Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jun 2003, 07:26 (Ref:618845)   #1
rcs
Rookie

rcs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferry / Flight disruption ?

I'm getting more than a little concerned about the increasing air traffic / dock workers strikes that today for example will massively affect travel to/from France. P&O have binned all sailings until this afternoon. Why don't these workshy fools strike in the Winter ?! Do any of our French friends here know of any anticipated action dates for next week ? - and if they have any influence on the strikers could you please ask that they make sure next Wednesdays P&O 0830 service to Calais gets away on time...........!

Rob
Old 3 Jun 2003, 08:24 (Ref:618884)   #2
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With apologies to our French friends, I've long held the view that you can tell if it's summer because the ATC's go on strike, you can tell if it's spring or autumn because the train drivers go on strike, and if either of them forget then the fisherman and the farmers pick up the slack. Possibly the best bet might be to buy one of those amphibious cars and drive all the way.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 12:57 (Ref:619119)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, does anyone have any concrete news for next week at all? Fab? Gilles? Can you help?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:14 (Ref:619493)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heard about this on the news on the way to work this morning - let hope everything is sorted out ASAP......
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:34 (Ref:619523)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks quite bad from the BBC report. I hope that Wednesdays ferry gets in, then I am covered. Getting back is not that inportant as I have the whole week off.

What is of more concern is that ambulance drivers are involved. How does this affect safety at the event ? Does the ACO have a private agreement to provide cover ?

Simon
Old 3 Jun 2003, 21:10 (Ref:619687)   #6
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is anyone working in France at the moment?

I had an e-mail from the ACO telling me they weren't sending my tickets due to a French Postal strike and I'd have to pick them up from their offices.

Things just seem to be going pear shaped again
Old 4 Jun 2003, 04:48 (Ref:620022)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A lot of civil servant on strike, in transport and education administrations...

WARNING : strikes plan for next tuesday !!! And I won't be here to post next week I'm afraid... check before leaving, at this site :
http://www.lesgreves.com/
It's in french, but you'll have places and words you could understand (transport, train... SNCF means trains).

I confirm French Postal are on strike too... call ACO to ask not sending your tickets !!! You'll have them at the board at the Welcome...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:57 (Ref:620071)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't want to be paranoid, but this is all very worrying. We've had threats of industrial action around the Le Mans weekend before, but they have never really affected us. We obviously have people travel;ling over all through the Le Mans week. With first practice on Wednesday, I imagine there are plenty planning to go over on Tuesday.

I'm sure we'd all appreciate any more up to the minute news from those who can find it out, as and when.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 07:06 (Ref:620077)   #9
rcs
Rookie

rcs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going on the Wednesday and I am resigned to ferry hassle. The biggest problem would seem to be that my tickets may already be in the post and stuck somewhere. Quite how I get duplicates is anybodies guess. I imagine the next tactic by the strikers will be road blockades. Perhaps somebody should remind them just how much 80,000 Brits plan to spend in their bars and restaurants over the course of a week........
Old 4 Jun 2003, 07:12 (Ref:620088)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You think they'll worry......?
Old 4 Jun 2003, 09:12 (Ref:620168)   #11
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
You think they'll worry......?
Road blocks are a thing of the past over here. These days the gendamerie have orders to unblock them pronto. The effective weapon used to be the lorry - now they are told " OK, block the road and give me your licence". Worked like a charm with last transport strike.
Strikers are only in the public sector, they don't understand about inward investment.
Everything round here is working normally, including transport and post. Paris is another story.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 09:25 (Ref:620184)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Last monday, ACO said to me that they started to send the tickets today : CALL OCA NOW to say that you'll get your tickets at the board : DO IT ! Or you'll got your tickets in september...

Travels : if you can dodge the ferries, do it too ; the shuttle seems not affected by strikes...

Remember 1968 : the race was canceled and finally took place in september...

I'm not kidding or teasing you here, I'm just as wooried as you are...

Tuesday will be another day of action/strike : call your ferry company before leaving...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 09:52 (Ref:620224)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a slightly more reassuring note, I have just spoken to Hoverspeed who tell me that so far there crossings have been unaffected and they don't expect to be next week. (famous last words)
Le Shuttle has not been affected so far.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 11:48 (Ref:620380)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Air Traffic Controllers in Toronto are talking about striking on Friday -- I think they will put them off though as they have a mediated settlement and it's a matter of enforcing it. If I can just get over there, I'll worry about getting home later.

All unions should be decertified and anyone who doesn't want to work should be fired. That worked fine in 1982 and we haven't had a real disruption in the airline industry in the USA since then.

I have heard that Nofolk Lines which goes from Dover to Dunkirk are not having any problems either as of today. We are going over Saturday.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 12:17 (Ref:620419)   #15
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stike is contining today, but a bit weaker and most ferries and flights are ok if a bit late.

However next week does look to be more serious, the reason for the strike is pension reforms and these go before the french parliment next Weds (11 June) so we can expect to have a bigger display of power by the unions leading up to the meeting of the french gov, should the vote not go the way of the unions which is quite likely then we should expect mass walkouts in
protest.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 12:36 (Ref:620444)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
All unions should be decertified and anyone who doesn't want to work should be fired. That worked fine in 1982 and we haven't had a real disruption in the airline industry in the USA since then.
I can insure you that we envy Canada for that kind of questions...

We have to face old problems that didn't have been treated before... bad days...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 13:52 (Ref:620593)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm on a wednesday morning ferry.

should see you all by friday evening then...
Old 4 Jun 2003, 14:55 (Ref:620668)   #18
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well anyone of NorfolkLine will be OK - I just checked with a contact there an they are not expecting any problems at Dunkerque as it is a Non-unionised port!

So if anyone wants to travel on Wednesday and haven't booked there crossings then check out the special deals Norfolkline have.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 05:57 (Ref:621423)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Keep on checking : still lots of problems here, and lots expected for tuesday (monday is a day off, bank holiday in France)...
Old 5 Jun 2003, 10:47 (Ref:621605)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We got our tickets this morning. We ordered them from the ACO last year. Is the postal strike that bad!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:45 (Ref:621666)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They never send the tickets until the last minute. We got ours three days before we left in 2001 and they never came at all in 2002.

Fortunately you pick up your media credentials when you get there.

Fab, Canada has not yet reaached the 1980s so we are still plagued with strikes. The teachers were marched back to work at the order of the government yesterday. They do this every year. We need a Maggie Thatcher!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:51 (Ref:621670)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We have just rung Brittany Ferries to check. They said it is too early to tell when and what disruption will occur next week and advised us to ring back on Tuesday.
We are travelling to Caen on Wednesday night.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:58 (Ref:621676)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Getting very worried now - sailing Thursday morning, and that's after the crucial vote.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 12:32 (Ref:621696)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
we are all going en mass on friday afternoon direct from the office
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:01 (Ref:621742)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
P&O have confirmed our booking for Thursday pm - no mention of any anticipated problems.